Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
taitran
Regular

April 2005
CA18det into AE86 sprinter Sun, 29 May 2005 03:50 Go to next message
Hi, My cars just been painted and its time for a fast engine.Ive done searches about this topic but there is no real relevant info so..

Im in a position where i dont know what to get CA18det,SR20det, i want the one that is gonna be the least expensive,powerful, and reliable.

Whats the easier engine to transplant including the accompanying gearbox?.

Whats easier to get approved by the RTA?.

What is more suitable powerwise,would the sr20 be too powerful?.

Whats the typical cost to get one installed including parts?.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
CHEERS TAI
  Send a private message to this user    
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Sun, 29 May 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you doing this yourself?

because labour's going to cost alot. just wondering, how much's your budget?

power depends on what it's going to be used for.

parts would cost:
engine = from 1.3k
ecu, wiring and gbox = a very rough 1k?

and if your not doing this yourself you gotta add the parts thats needed to be fabricated and bought.
and also the mechanical and electrical labour.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 May 2005 06:09]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Sun, 29 May 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taitran wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 13:50

i want the one that is gonna be the least expensive,powerful, and reliable.

Well the engine you have in the car at the moment would be the least expensive and powerful option.

Its darned reliable though. Is that what you're asking?
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Sun, 29 May 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CA18det conversion is the biggest bang for your buck around. anthony kellman makes the mounts. the rest is up to you.
kebluey
Regular

January 2005
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Mon, 30 May 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I can say is what a perfect way to kill a sprinter... such a waste, Beautiful green sprinter by the way Shocked
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Mon, 30 May 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

CA18 is same generation as 1G motor - so its design is quite a bit behind the SR20 series.

Howcome u arent considering a 1G conversion - or is ur sprinter FWD?
If so, both the CA18 and SR20 came in FWD format.

CA18 is def cheaper, but SR20 has massive aftermarket, more potential, more reliable, more costly.

BTW, NA versions of these motors are pretty sluggish, ull need a turbo version.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Mon, 30 May 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VeeP wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 23:49

CA18 is same generation as 1G motor - so its design is quite a bit behind the SR20 series.

Howcome u arent considering a 1G conversion - or is ur sprinter FWD?
If so, both the CA18 and SR20 came in FWD format.

CA18 is def cheaper, but SR20 has massive aftermarket, more potential, more reliable, more costly.

BTW, NA versions of these motors are pretty sluggish, ull need a turbo version.

how is a ca18 behind a sr20?
sr20 has timing chain and rocker arms.

but anyway i dont want to get into the whole sr vs ca debate which has been done to death on almost every nissan forum.

all ae86 are rwd. ca has lots of aftermarket support too and at less than half the price, can kick some sr butt with the 1k saved on it
1g conversion? what, and ruin the great handling potential.

dude in perth is doing s14 vvt sr20 in a ae86
doubt it will be sluggish Wink
msports
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Tue, 31 May 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
45aken wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 21:28

CA18det conversion is the biggest bang for your buck around. anthony kellman makes the mounts. the rest is up to you.

this guy that does the mounts, does he sell them to other forum member's?!!

ca only?

im the one doin the s14 vvt s20 conversion and mounts are still a hassle.

thanks.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Tue, 31 May 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good swap! engine cost about the $1200 or so but look around you might get lucky. as i do race stuff i got a ca18det with machined block,oringed,full gasket set plus copper head gasket,bearings,arp bolts,water pump,pistons and rings,the three diffrent intake manifolds,head has been cleaned up and serviced and a spare head and block for $1000 so bargains are about.just have to put it together. i have a low k sprinter in mint condition thats been sitting for 2 years in the shed,going to put the ca18det in with 180sx box about the $300-$350 and shortern the tailshaft about the 350-400 mark.was going to make custom mounts but if someone does them for the right price there is no need. have a spare front mount and spare wiring harness for autronic sm2 as i use it in another circuit car. so it should be a fang machine!ready for it?im doing it so my wife has a day to day car to drive to work!hahahahahaha and me to thrash when the urge hits. ca18det is a great swap and very good value for money. i should start in the next couple of weeks i have a couple of cars to finish first.
mick
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Tue, 31 May 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taitran

How many threads are you going to produce on this conversion , every time i look in the tech section theres a thread on this .
Maybe search the threads titled " ca & sr " in the tech section this has been done to death Crying or Very Sad theres nothing new , many people have done these conversions now . Some of them have been going for over a year of more now Smile The time posting you could have done the conversion by now , or contacted one of the many ones in your state and had a look at it for yourself Rolling Eyes If i had the time i would make a step by step guide , but after a h/d crash have lost most of the build up pictures etc Sad Might redo it in the reverse when the car is disassembled and the engine removed .

msports

you might want to look at this thread

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=641864&rid=1935&S=41ccbf286b9bf24f0719 e47c153acbb2

another one by taitran Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:34]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Tue, 31 May 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair go improvedae86 if everyone used the search i would have stopped answering post a few years ago.hahahahaha and then i couldnt read my one replies,mate id go mad.
hahahaha
mick
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Tue, 11 October 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can say wiring the CA18DET into the sprinter is pretty easy. Just make sure you get all the things required to run, i.e. ignitor and dropdown resistor thingie for the injectors. Then get yaself a fuel pump and a line for gas, and efi hose, and away you go! That might sound obvious..but.. Hey it's a fun conversion to do too Smile If you had alllll of the parts you needed to get it goin, it could be done pretty quick i reckon, like a week or so. anyway, cya. Grant.
taitran
Regular

April 2005
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Assuming you have all the neccessary parts would you say its as easy as a 4agze conversion?

In terms of relaiblity, and power what is better?
And would it be easy to get it road legal/engineered?.

Thanks Tai
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say it's easier cos the 4agze needs to have a lot of things converted (from what i've heard, i've never had anything to do with a fwd 4agze into ae86 conversion, and have absolutely no idea what's involved). but yer. However, the problem with the CA18DET conversion is getting it legally on the road! Smile

I'd say the CA18DET is probably one of the best bang four your buck upgrades into a sprinter.. even when you take in the cost of a new diff too.. anyway, go drive! grant.
taitran
Regular

April 2005
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Grant, Yeah the only thing holding me back is engineering, because both need to be done.

I rang a engineer a while ago and they claim that a 4agze must be engineered and it is compulsory to do brake upgrades etc to pass.
They also said the CA18det can be legalised but a engineers certificate wont protect you if a police pulls you over because its a totally foriegn engine. Do you know of anybody who has done this conversion that is legally on the road here in VIC?.
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 02:13

1g conversion? what, and ruin the great handling potential.

i have a 1ggte in my car and i reckon my car handles nicely Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Whats the typical cost to get one installed including parts?.

i think this is one of those things that if you have to ask you cant afford it.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wats the deal with all that engineering shit, im lookin at puttin one into my ke70, isnt it a case of the engineer says its safe to drive, hence making it road legal, hence a copper can go sit on my exhaust and rotate if he has anything to say bout it?
how hard do people see this being going into a ke70?
what would i have to do about the dash?, i.e. speedo, tacho, heat, oil sensors. sorry to hijack but u know, its still on topic...sorta Razz
thanx guys
~andrew~
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only identifying mark that the ca is a nissan engine is on the valley cover in between the rocker covers.

remove that, and it could pass as a toyota engine.

the ca also fits perfectly in the ae86 bay, its not too big for it, and unlike a rotary, isnt a tiny lump.

very good conversion into ae86, the two are very well balanced, and unless you get a copper that knows his shit, youll be able to talk your way out of it.

Paint "4A-C" on the rocker covers somewhere.

Eldar.O.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 18:32

the only identifying mark that the ca is a nissan engine is on the valley cover in between the rocker covers.

remove that, and it could pass as a toyota engine.

the ca also fits perfectly in the ae86 bay, its not too big for it, and unlike a rotary, isnt a tiny lump.

very good conversion into ae86, the two are very well balanced, and unless you get a copper that knows his shit, youll be able to talk your way out of it.

Paint "4A-C" on the rocker covers somewhere.

Eldar.O.

True
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, firstly a 4AGZE is very easy to fit RWD into a Sprinter. Only 2-3 things need modification: driver's side water pipes, SC lower mount and sometimes alternator mount. There are plenty of walkthroughs out there for it.

Secondly if you get a car legitimately engineered by a registered engineer then you are fine. Keep the paperwork in the car and you are driving a legal and roadworthy vehicle. Don't believe internet advice about that though, talk to Vicroads and some engineers.

A CA is a good choice, but will be more work to fit than a 4A of any description. Whether it is worth it is up to you.

Hen
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much extra work would we be talking?
i mean when it comes to the 4agze into my ke70 to put a box that will last in it u need a w5x which means tunnel mods (big hammer) will a ca box fit in there?
also there is nothin to turn around on the ca, so u just need mounts and wire it in
and wiring in either engine isnt gonna be easy rite?
this prob aplies to the ae86 aswell doesnt it?
~andrew~
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Fri, 14 October 2005 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ca18 sprinter is a natural. Toyota should've built such a winner.
Hard to match the bang for the buck.
CA in a different league of performance than a gze. No need $$$ for a turbo AND gearbox conversion either.
Layout very similar to a 4ag, except with improvements; like oil filter and starter under the inlet instead of exhaust... and no dizzy to foul turbo/manifold stuff etc..
A ca on stock innards can make enough power in a sprinter to frighten you.
I also considered valvepan mods.. to fool the untrained eye, and shut up those gotdam purists with their whining Smile
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: CA18det into AE86 sprinter Sat, 15 October 2005 02:14 Go to previous message
what's a valvepan?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:clutch plates for 3s-ge/st162?
Next Topic:MK3 horn very urgent
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:36:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084660053253174 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.