Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 11:00 Go to next message
ok i bought a king chrome valve spring compressor but i cant get these valves to budge and its pissing me off.

first the top keeps slipping off the retainer and once compressed i cant get the collets out either

i need to swap my 4k valves i have from my 4k head into my 3k head and use double valve springs but the tool keeps bending under the pressure too and ive already broken one and had to replace it, i know im not using it wrong but this shit is jsut retated. i dont want to have to pay someone to do it for me really is there anyone who can help me?
i can provide photos of my retattedness if need be
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
photos please....
(if just for posterity Wink )
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aaww stuuuuuu u suckie

tomorrow im going to bed fuck this (hahahha sorry had to say it)
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even the best compressor will have trouble breaking loose the retainer from the keepers. the tapered fit of those into the retainer sometimes seems to greatly increase over time & heat & varnish buildup.
is this one of those mickeymouse things that has 2 jaws that grip the lower coils??

just use a socket or piece of pipe to place on the retainer & hit oncd or twice with a hammer. you'll hear & feel when it breaks the retainer loose from the keepers & valve stem. the socket/pipe HAS TO have a larger ID then the OD of the keepers and seat only on the spring retainer.
the keepers are almost always loose after this, but some may be stuck/varnished to the stem and you'll have to do the same thing, but with a socket that has an ID just greater then the valve stem to make sure they're loose.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2005 12:56]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah.. special service tool number one Very Happy

just whack em Razz
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yea i would jsut wack em but i dont want to damage the valves casue im hoping i can still use these after i give them a clean up.

im going to find out how much new ones are and how much itll cost to have it done for me casue if i send the head off ill get the thing properly ported and polished also
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Removing Valve springs Thu, 13 October 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just do what i do and use a large G-clamp with a socket with a section cut out of it. Easy as:
http://gallery2.plebeians.net/d/3556-2/DSCF0004_1_003.jpg
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Fri, 14 October 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good dude, BUT, how do i remove the collets when its like that? will i bend the valve if i tap it from the other side?

remember these head have been together probably the best part of 25 years and most likely havent had anything done to them so its all pretty stuck in there
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Removing Valve springs Fri, 14 October 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what the section is cut out of the socket for, allows you to get into the internals Smile
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Fri, 14 October 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yea i can sorta see that.

well i dont have a clam thats big enough and im sick of buying tools i never end up using again so im jsut gona take it to a valve place, mainly becasue they can regrind my existing valves and they also need to be reset once i put them in a new head so yeah ~130 bucks and itll save me a hell of alot of hassles too.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Sat, 15 October 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we just smack the stem with a hammer a few times, then use a similar arrangement as the G clamp and socket in the picture.
Magnetic screwdrivers are the best way to remove the collets once they're loose, either that or you get some really tiny pliers.

As for buying tools that you'll never use, the only reason you don't use them now is that you dont have them, G clamps are very useful.
Then again, I like spending money on tools, but hate spending money to get a job done that I know I can do for free once I buy the tools.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Removing Valve springs Sat, 15 October 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can relate to that.

At work i use a pneumatic spring compressor and with 2000psi of air behind it i still need to whack the retainer. Mind you the heads are off 1500hp blown alcy engines and have ALOT of spring pressure.

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Wed, 19 October 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i took the compressor back after breaking another one and got a refund. compressor cost me 36 bucks, took the head to a head place and they replaced the springs for 20 bucks and installed the stem seals for me and only charged me 20 bucks

ive got heaps of clamps and shit but theyer at my dads house but i couldnt be bothered driving out there
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Wed, 19 October 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
side note to this, anyone got a suggestion on how to remove the valve springs and such from a 2tg head?
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Removing Valve springs Wed, 19 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous message
I'am guessing they use buckets? and the stem of the valve is done within the casting?,

If so we use a DIY spring compressor which you can adjust the length and angle of the arm to suit the retainer then you yank on the end of it and use a magnet to grab the collets, put your hand over the spring if there really tight or they can spring out, it's happened to me a couple of times and they fly out anywhere.

Cheers Trent
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:new ae80 owner, in need of help.
Next Topic:supercharger
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:03:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046539306640625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.