Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hotgemini
Occasional Poster

April 2003
icon13.gif  Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Thu, 13 October 2005 08:17 Go to next message
So, we've got our project rolla..

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hotgemini/rolla3.jpg

Now, some time between disassembly for painting and re-assembly something has gone awry in the front suspension. We appear to have gained a degree or two of *positive* camber and the steering feel on straight ahead is very vague.

What are we likely to have messed up? Are the strut tops offset? Can we have put anything else in backwards? Would love to solve it to rego it tomorrow.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Thu, 13 October 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
afaik, the strut tops have no choice but to sit sungly in the hole provided (or is that KE1/2X?)

umm, steering arms/LCA's back to front? where is the ball joint relative to the steering arm centreline?

each deg is about 10mm of top of bottom strut movement... roughly... so something is out 1-2cm...
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Thu, 13 October 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forget if they have castor adjustment, but if you can, adjust the radius rod forward a bit. This will hopefully bring the wishbone forward a little, pushing the wheel outward, which will neutralise the camber and probably add some toe out.

Gotta love how changing 1 thing affects all 3 angles on a wheel
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Thu, 13 October 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but for it to make 10-20mm difference in strut angle is a helluvalot of castor...

although she does seem to be sitting a little high??
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Fri, 14 October 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 00:13

Hmmm i was just about to point that out....
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Fri, 14 October 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does seem high Confused .

My old KE38 had the centre hole in the strut top slightly offset so rotating it would change the camber/castor ever so slightly (it was stock item). My ke25 however had the centre hole in the centre.

Don't think it would make the kind of difference you are experiencing though but it may be possible that the strut top has an offset bolt hole and was refitted in a rotated position to what it originally was??
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Fri, 14 October 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 00:13

but for it to make 10-20mm difference in strut angle is a helluvalot of castor...

meaning that if you have enough droop, and the LCA's are onlike a 30deg angle. they WILL pull in by 10 or 20mm (think of circle geometry), adn you will get more +ve camber....

if it's higher for shock travel.. maybe consider lowering the pivot point of the LCA's at the crossmember.... or it's on the total cheap.. lower the cross-member Razz loer CG also Wink
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Eeek Positive Camber on our KE30 Fri, 14 October 2005 06:58 Go to previous message
Did you remove the engine and then not put it back in?

Silly question I know but hey, thought I'd ask.

Even dumber question when I read back through your comments.

Sometimes it takes a few turns of the steering to settle the springs back in to place if you have had it up on stands. Should have when you drove it though.

So you have not changed anything? Just put back in what you took out?

Regards

Rodger

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 07:03]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18r 22r
Next Topic:ae101 abs sensor help!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 12:55:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052478313446045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar