Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Fri, 14 February 2003 14:58 Go to next message
Could somebody please enlighten me as to teh stock Kw/bhp and torque of the gen 2 (i think its gen 2) 3sgte? There i s a $3000 half cut from an st185 gt4 with 28,000 km on the clock waiting for me.

Thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Fri, 14 February 2003 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$3000??? I paid that for my ST205 halfcut!

As for the power outputs, your answer is here: http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/3sgte%20table.htm
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah well when you live in cnaberra you pay more.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st185 halfcut w/ 28000 kms? wouldn't that have been sitting around for quite a few years now (if not just wound back)?
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Sat, 15 February 2003 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well itcomes from canberra's biggest spares dealer straight from japan

it will getsome treatment once it arrives, of course
CeLiCa
Regular

September 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Sat, 15 February 2003 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh the price your paying seems a little bit high, but if the km are genuine i guess its not too bad.

Just for a comparison, i payed $2650 for a ST185RC front cut with 55000km. This is the most powerful version of the Gen II 3SGTE making 235hp. It came with the W-A intercooler as well as a mint condition GRP A rally bonnet and front bar. Ive been offered $1000 for the bonnet alone.

This is in Melb by the way...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Sun, 16 February 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that reminds me to test the Gt4 im buying i hope ( IN A MONTH!! Very Happy Very Happy )

its only the standard Gt4 - not a group a - But it has had the exhaust system reworked for better flow - the boost upped , and the fuel pressure voltage thing raised to feed the extra horsies the motor will produce ..

Seeing the standard Gt4 sits around the 160kw level - id expect with mods - to see around 170 odd Kw

be interesting to see what this thing puts out at the wheels

Steve bignalls GT4 - which has been seriosly modified ( and featured on the main toymods page atm and recently in one of the fast 4's magazine puts out close to 230KW at the wheels .. I believe shes well in excess of 400 Hp - before NOS

GO STEVE!! your gt4 is a BEAST!

CeLiCa
Regular

September 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Sun, 16 February 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U'd probably get around 110kw at the wheels with a 160kw GT4. Stock GT4 is around 153kw i think...
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Sun, 16 February 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CeLiCa wrote on Sun, 16 February 2003 12:13

U'd probably get around 110kw at the wheels with a 160kw GT4. Stock GT4 is around 153kw i think...

dreaming about the 110kw, the WRX with 155-160kw puts out 90-95kw @ the wheels.

Nezza Cool
AE86
Regular

May 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Sun, 16 February 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Losing so much horsepower through the drivetrain just shows how crappy the WRX is.

Benmeyer.... what are the details of the car that will receive the GTE? If you will have a spare 3S-GE lying around, I may be interested. My 3S-FE is starting to make some odd noises.

Chris
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's going into an st162. So i'll keep you posted because i'll probably be wanting to unload the 3S-GE somewhere. I've decided to go for the ST205 Half Cut. 180kw sounds very nice. I'm sure the front wheels will love it!!
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE_Man wrote on Sun, 16 February 2003 22:41

CeLiCa wrote on Sun, 16 February 2003 12:13

dreaming about the 110kw, the WRX with 155-160kw puts out 90-95kw @ the wheels.

Nezza Cool

The standard aussie spec ST185 puts out 113kw at the wheels and is quoted at 153kw/205hp at the fly. This is dyno proven.

The standard jap spec ST185 puts out 235hp at the fly due to differnt fuel mapping for 100 octane fuel.

Also the Group A's have a wider tourqe peak, 3200rpm-4800rpm instad of 4500rpm I think.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 February 2003 04:43]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for a stock gt4 - id say that target of the wrx is well within reach . for a modified one with better flow and boost upgrades - id say 110 would be well achievable ..

Whats the WRX runs as boost stock - the GT4 - i thinks about 8psi - the one im looking at is around the 12psi level
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they all do 12 pounds
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you sure on that ?

if so - mine might be higher again !

i know the things boost guage is always on max when its wound up

it REALLY needs an analogue guage in it - but i know its running higher boost than standard ..

CeLiCa
Regular

September 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4's aren't 12 pounds stock... they are limited to around 5-6 psi in 1st and 2nd and around 8-9 psi in the higher gears Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica ( in various cases )

thats what i thought - 9 psi max in stock form

the one ive driven sure as hell didnt fill liek others ive been in
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 17 February 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i got it from gtfour.supras.org.nz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Tue, 18 February 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it says 12 psi for the fuel cut - but im pretty sure they do run lower boost

With ecu modifications you can override this to a constant 15 psi for fuel delivery ( the one im looking at has this )

makes it run a little rich but feeds the extra boost that its delivering ..

i cant find a stock power level sheet from toyota themselves - but the rest of that page has some pretty good info .

Interesting to see with slightly more cam lift , a larger throttle body - and higher fuel cut - the st185 motor would be pretty much on the mark with the 205 - which is a beast and a half Smile ( and a late model Mr2 turbo ! )

can anyone chase up actual toyta specs
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Tue, 18 February 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Fuel cut is meant to be around 12.5psi on a std ST185 but I have personally seen 185's running 13psi without fuel cut or any ecu over rides. The Grp A's have fuel mapping to 17psi and thats where the fuel cut is too. They can handle the higher boost due to better fueling and the WTA I/C.

Also I had run my Grp A (11psi + sliping clutch + ~80kg heavier) against a std 185 running 13psi + daikin clutch and had a few car lengths at 120km/h ;p

I personally wouldnt push a std ST185 and std CT26 turbo over around 13-14psi because at 15psi they just start to blow hot air, I.E. The are past their compressor efficiency, a high flowed CT26 w/ T04E compressor would do about 15psi nicely... But you might want to get a better intercooler...

If you want to get more information from people who _REALLY_ know their GT-Fours goto http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gt4/

[Updated on: Tue, 18 February 2003 01:54]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Tue, 18 February 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've seen of standard ST185s on our dyno days, they make about 80kW.

Worked ones get about 120kW I think.

There's a lot of drivetrain loss, but remember that there are quite a number of driveshafts in operation!!
CelicaTurbo
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Tue, 18 February 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are puting the engine in a 162 why buy the 1/2 cut?? Can't use much of it except the engine and computer. You should buy just the engine and an after market computer so you don't have to worry about these boost cuts and they are much beter for when you start modding the engine, which you will do eventually as we all do regardless of what you think now...that damn power bug will get you!!
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Wed, 19 February 2003 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'm also doing research on aftermarket computers seeing as it is impossible to tell a gt4 computer to send all the power to the front wheels and a 3sge computer... well... "a Tur-what?"

Looking at Motec and Haltech atm. any other suggestions?
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Wed, 19 February 2003 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ems computer i have a 3sgte with 165kw at 12psi at the rear treads in an mr2... no shit if no one belives will post the dyno sheet....
so get EMS great system....
obvisly i have done a bit but not that much just high flow turbo....
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Thu, 20 February 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr.2 - what have you done to yours ?

i guess the mr2 would have better power delivery though than a GT4 - less transmission loss ..

Though i would be keen to hear more on the EMS system and other modifications
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Thu, 20 February 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont you get the least drivetrain loss in a FWD? seeing as the power is fed directly to the driving axle?
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Thu, 20 February 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
approx 120kw @ wheels (fwd) with 3inch exhaust from cast dump back, and std boost and std jap ecu.

150kw @ wheels (fwd) with full 3-inch system turbo back, std jap ecu, pod filter, largish front mount intercooler, 14.5psi

And to anybody who says the std turbo is useless about 13-14psi is kidding themselves, the item is good upto around 18psi airflow wise =]

it just gets into its efficiency island at around 13psi, and believe me you get so much more mid range torque each psi after, from 14-15.5psi, there was a 12kw mid range gain and around 4kw top end (turbo isnt that efficient above 6000rpm)

Regards.

Michael
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Thu, 20 February 2003 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought so. thats enough to compete with most jap production cars. As long as you are good at launching a FWD Laughing
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Thu, 20 February 2003 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agree with the turbo isnt too effecent after 6000 - 6500 rpm curve will drop off around then,
ems system what do u want to know, its the duel sport ignition and fuel, one other thing i did forget to mention was a intercooler as well as 3 inch exhast turbo back. as i said 165kw/rw its great.
i will post the dyno sheet when i get back home.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Thu, 20 February 2003 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gt4 im buying has a similar 3 inch turbo back system , but i am keen to see what actual PSI its using at fulll boost .. First thing after the necessary suspension work is a boost guage that actually shows figures - not like the stocko thing ..

im pretty sure 110 is a chievable - thugh id say aftermarket or assisted Ecu would be needed - and a to4 turbine swap for anything beyond 130 ish ..

Im still learning the turbo trade - so all info and advice is appreciated
CelicaTurbo
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 24 February 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah go the EMS. I have one as do 3 of my mates with 3sgte's in FWD Celicas. Mine is tuned to 186kw@wheels by APC up here in queensland. The dyno graph is at www.mark.boostcruising.com. I'm hoping for 200kw after i run this new engine in. Upgraded injectors and fuel system should make this easily achievable (i hope). I have had no trouble with the EMS and definately recommend it.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 24 February 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THATS AN INSANE AMOUNT OF POWER FOR A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ! Razz Razz Razz

This EMS system - out of curiousity - can someone specify pricerange , and info sites i can get a good rundown on this system ?

12 PSi from standard turbo im guessing ?? or have you upgraded it ? High flow using what turbine if thats the case ?

Intercooler swaps ? or standard top mount ?

* bear with me ! im still learning ! - and learning fast ! *

benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Mon, 24 February 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who did your conversion CelicaTurbo? And who did that bonnet with the scoop? i'll be needing one of those
CelicaTurbo
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: Power output on ST185 GT4's 3S-GTE? Tue, 25 February 2003 15:07 Go to previous message
The EMS QI4/5 cost just under $1300 for the computer, the hand controller is around $250 and then you need an igniter. All up its around $1650 but if your tuner uses a laptop then you can get the Dual Sport for about $100 or so extra then you don't need the hand controller. Then you have to pay someone to wire it up for you which is usually around $500-$1000. Check their website for a dealer close to you so you can check exact prices.
www.fuel-injection.com

My turbo was reco'ed and hiflowed by Dynamic Turbochargers up here in brisbane for $850 and it is awesome. I run 22psi through it all the time and it has never let me down. I have a custom water-to-air intercooler and the inlet air temps are usually around 36-38 deg. You should get a front mount at least. The standard one sucks.

The conversion and bonnet scoop was done somewhere in sydney back in 1992. Unheard of back then! I have since done all of the work with help with the engine build from WM Motorsports at Brendale. I have done a few conversions myself for friends with the ems's, they are pretty staight forward and give excellent results.

The bonnet has a modified gt4 scoop with the standard gt4 vents.

Oh and you can never have enough POWER! Haha just got to get it to the ground!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4ag cam covers
Next Topic:About MegaSquirt
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 13:08:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13139915466309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.