Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Stock looking Sprinter Wed, 12 October 2005 15:34 Go to next message
OK, I've been driving this round for a fair while and a few people will have seen it before. Just thought I'd post up some photos and info about the large black hole for time and money commonly known as my Sprinter.

Bought it in late 2002 looking like this:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1166/stocksprinter8wd.jpg
with an engine bay like this. That's right, totally stock.

I daily drove it, then spent about a year working on it. The day I got it back on the road this happened:
http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/2581/aftermath1pv.jpg
The chassis rail was pushed in 6" and taught me a very quick lesson.

Now, another year and a half later it looks pretty plain, just a bit lower, some bigger wheels and dirtier.
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5985/mewintongrip8ep.jpg
And that's with newly painted bumpers and side trims.

Wow. That's exciting isn't it...
Oh, almost forgot to mention the 4AGZE with big pulley, medium sized front mount, W58, 4pot brakes on 280mm discs, T-series diff, 7/5kg springs, Tokico HTS102 shocks, seriously deep huggy race seat, harness, strut braces, serious fuel system, and a bunch of other minor mods.

Info on the brake conversion can be found here

The W58 uses a custom bellhousing and custom gearbox crossmember and custom tailshaft. Some info on it all is here

The shocks are great, the adjustability is real, from all spring when even only half wound off, to insanely hard when fully wound up.

A GOOD seat and harness made a huge difference too. I highly recommend any serious driver get these.

This car is used as a total drift hacker and is thrashed continually. It has however been very reliable, possibly due to the 7000rpm rev limit. If you have seen it around the country, it would probably have looked like this:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1530/meqldsideways25up.jpg

It is still my daily driver though; my mum has borrowed it, it's been driven round the country, it's been autocrossed (before the mega-hard springs) and I did pick my girlfriend up for our first date in it. And while it does require a hell of a lot of work, it is fun.

If anyone has relevant tech questions I'll happily answer them if you post or PM

Hen

And for a laugh check out this series of photos. Go here and then click the "next" button to see the whole series. Thanks to Michael Coppola
  Send a private message to this user    
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Wed, 12 October 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something's wrong Ben. Where are your pics of the imported JDM BRO parts?

Nice job! It's come a far way. I remember a while back at some Toyota meet on the westside?.. where your car was still off the road and I don't think it had the 4agze running yet.

You also mentioned you were doing or wanted to do a similar brake upgrade.
Ain't it nice to look back and see you've accomplished exactly what you said you would do?

Time to step up from Vic's best drifter to Aus' best i reckon Very Happy

Although JDM OMG parts are pretty to look at, it's nice to see a sprinter actually done up to the driver's needs.
AE86Boys
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope my Tokicos are holding up nicely as I am putting yours in damn soon! See you at Calder
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cant say I have seen it.

Looks okay, to be honest it looks like junk.

What chooning house did all your work?

Cheers,
;
Jeremy
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice car mate, sounds like fun. What are the 7/5kg springs like as a daily and on the track?

thanks, Pat
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a straight ahead practical car.. not really a show pony at all!!!

HachiWarrior!
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"It's all stock orificer!" Razz

Keep up the good work Ben..
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats this??? a members rides thread, i thought only tossers had these Razz
only kidding mate

go the drift pig, chicks dig it

Cheers
Shtock
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sik car bro! Does it drift?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Shtocky, I gave in. I just hope that this can be somewhat informative to the general masses.

7/5kg springs are a total pain in the arse on the road. If I didn't like drift so much I definitely would be running something MUCH softer. They work well on the track though.

Oh and I forgot to mention a big thanks to Chookhouse Chooning for all the custom work on the car.

I also remembered I posted a few threads about the electrics to get the engine working nicely. Here they are:
- Tacho fix for 5V square wave to AE86 dash
- Tacho fix for waste spark 4cyl to sprinter dash
- Fix for single wire PWM idle speed control signal to ZE ISCV
- SC clutch switching setup

Hen

PS, I like ImageShack.us
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Thu, 13 October 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice set up, I like stock looking sprinters.

I think you can do better without the super lites, they feel like they are made out of cement.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 11:23]

toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Fri, 14 October 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy crap batman.

havnt seen u at all latly, at the track or n e where. .

ill make an extra effort 2 come 2 calder next month, hopfully u be there
ae86_boy
Regular

August 2004
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Fri, 14 October 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember seeing this car at the first drift nats, i was just wondering, how did you manage to fix that smash? Shocked
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Wed, 19 October 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86_boy wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 19:26

i was just wondering, how did you manage to fix that smash?

New door, new guard and a big hammer. I know a great panelbeater named Bob who is damn good at such things.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Sat, 29 October 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn, I met you at the "Driftmania" drift day in Tasmania a few months back.

I also have a AE86, stipped bare right now.

Can you tell me what the deal is with "Tokico HTS102" shocks? I keep hearing the name but not sure where or what model to buy. I want front shocks that are shorter than stock. Is HTS102 the model type, or is it the actual part number specific to short stroke AE86 struts?

I tried to order Koni sport (yellow) to suit AE92 but the one I wanted was not in stock or something.

Also what rear shocks do you run, which keeps the rear shorter spings captive?
nb86
Regular

August 2003
    sadff
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Sat, 29 October 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interested in youre square wave tacho fix, i may have to give that a shot. is that the circtuit you run with the gze?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Mon, 31 October 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny, yeah I can remember chatting to you and being disappointed not to be able to have a poke under the bonnet of your Corolla. I believe HTS102 is the type of shock, so you would need to specify for AE86 (though apparently they have just ended production). The fronts are both shorter in body length (~40mm) and shorter in stroke than stock. Though other people know more about this than I do. I use these in the rear as well, and the just keep 5kg springs with a 50mm lower ride height captive.

nb, yes, I run the square wave -> AE86 dash fix. Though I have wired up the other one (4cyl waste spark) and think that is probably a better solution.

Hen

Oh, and should add that I was rearended in traffic on the way up to the Sydney drift nationals. No serious damage, but may get me off my arse to tidy up all the dings and bent bits.
48xmax
Regular

July 2005
Re: Stock looking Sprinter Mon, 31 October 2005 14:18 Go to previous message
get your girlfriend as the copilot when you go drifting. It'll be nice to see how she would react to it..... Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EVIL AE86-Preperation4AnnualMeet
Next Topic:TA23 with 3TGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:21:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043561458587646 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.