Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
icon4.gif  clubman build up Mon, 03 October 2005 22:56 Go to next message
building up a clubman race car for curcuit days and deciding what motor to use in it. would prefer turbo. these are the ideas i have sr20, b18a ( turbo ), s2000 motor (turbo), 3sgte ,4agte, 4g63t. cost really isnt much of an issue. im leaning toward the sr20 atm but a turbo s2000 motor would scream. any ideas
  Send a private message to this user    
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: clubman build up Tue, 04 October 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest, given all of those options, I'd go for the S2000 engine, but wouldn't turbo it.

I know you said you would prefer a turbo, but in something as light as a clubman (I presume you are aiming for a target weight somewhere around 600kg or less) a turbo would actually be more difficult to drive quickly on the track. Particularly if you start to run higher boost than standard.

Using the S2000 engine would also make the process easier as it is already set up for a longitudinal, front engine rear drive setup.

Just my personal preference, but that's what I'd be going for if the price of the engines wasn't a factor.
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: clubman build up Tue, 04 October 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
price isnt a factor as the guy im building it with used to race in sports sedans. s2000 motor was my pick but i love the kick a turbo gives. any other ideas for a motor, btw i dont want a rotary as im not planing rebuilds every 3 months
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just goes to show you know nothing about rotaries Rolling Eyes
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be looking at the class you want.if its the proper clubman class i they need to be under 2 litres and you can forget turbo in that class!lol and atmo the front runner 7age 16v has a power advantage of between 190 and 220 at the wheels,to give you an idea!
it will be at the 6 hour relay race at eastern creek in two weeks.any one thats into 7age's and or clubmans should go and watch, as it would be the most powerful 7ag in the country at the moment.
mick
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota 4E-FTE
Twin Cam
Turbo
1331cc
4 Cylinder
16 valve
FWD
Produces approx. 135 bhp stock!

This engine was only ever produced in the Japanese Toyota Starlet GT and Glanza.

With modifications it can be transplanted into a range of UK Toyotas including:
Starlet
Paseo (Cynos) EL44 EL54
Corolla
Sera
there was one on here (Minni) with a 4E-FTE in it....
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
found it
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=599152&rid=5002&S=adf93c39b952651b21ff ddce6c47c011
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
much better of with an atmo 4ag or 7ag than a 4e!ive always wanted to put an 4efte in my rideon mower,i leave the stock engine in for a bit longer as it only has 80 hours on it.
mick
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not going to be racing in clubman but in a modified production, 2 litre turbo and under. if i was going to run in that cat im sure a s2000 motor would hammer any 7age. im only part owner of the car and getting some ideas on what to run. the reason for not running rotaries is we cant rebuild them ourseves and they do need rebuilding very often if they are pp or big port ect.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb20det wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 17:39

im not going to be racing in clubman but in a modified production, 2 litre turbo and under. if i was going to run in that cat im sure a s2000 motor would hammer any 7age. im only part owner of the car and getting some ideas on what to run. the reason for not running rotaries is we cant rebuild them ourseves and they do need rebuilding very often if they are pp or big port ect.

lol no way, wrong. rev limit is 8000rpm and the s2000 is to tall and to heavy and bulky.for the moment the 7age is the best choice.horsepower is one thing,but handling is the other part.otherwise there would be s2000{at 1990cc} and 3sge's{1990cc} etc etc instead of the 7ag winning.there wouldnt be people spending big dollars on t50 dog boxes and very very expensive 7age's if that was the case.
mick
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The beauty of the 7age too is the torque... much better than the S2000. Makes the car much easier to drive, and just as quick.

Still don't know whether I'd choose that over an S2000 motor though, but to be true.. 7age would be a good choice. Wouldn't mind one of them in my race car!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Blacktop Beams 3S-GE, has been done by another member of Toymods, puts out 225bhp stock... 2.0L n/a rev's high all day long.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a guy in NZ - Richard Moss - who has a Clubbie powered by a 3SGTE.
It's very hard to keep it cool, he's had all sorts of problems keeping the water temperature down and tried many things.

Best off with an naturally aspirated engine as it'll keep its cool and be much easier to drive. (without traction control)

Mine's got an Altezza 3SGE and it doesn't feel all that fast to me though.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. use f20c unit
2. increase cap to 2.2
3. add supercharger
4. ....
5. dominate

EDIT:: just read you other post 'under 2litre' nevermind. heh

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 23:07]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 09:06

1. use f20c unit
2. increase cap to 2.2
3. add supercharger
4. ....
5. dominate

lol i take you mean fj20.you have seen a clubman before bathurst-91 ?,i suppose if your after that boxer head out of the engine cover look, you could do it!lol but there would be no chance fitting an fj20!lol but gave me a laugh.
mick
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 09:16

bathurst-91 wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 09:06

1. use f20c unit
2. increase cap to 2.2
3. add supercharger
4. ....
5. dominate

lol i take you mean fj20.you have seen a clubman before bathurst-91 ?,i suppose if your after that boxer head out of the engine cover look, you could do it!lol but there would be no chance fitting an fj20!lol but gave me a laugh.
mick

Um mick the F20c is the motor out of the Honda S2000 ie 2.0L na with 176kw. Rolling Eyes
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha Wink well that wont fit horizontally opposed either!lmao bloody honda\'s why dont they use diffrent engine codes!Smile
mick
p.s the f20c would be way to tall!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: clubman build up Wed, 05 October 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 09:38

hahahahaha Wink well that wont fit horizontally opposed either!lmao bloody honda\'s why dont they use diffrent engine codes!Smile
mick
p.s the f20c would be way to tall!

Well they can fit a Gen 111 commodore V8 in there and supercharger as well so why not do that, takes the weight up to around 700-800kg but with 350-400kw who cares. Lol do not do this you will spin first through to fourth.
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: clubman build up Thu, 06 October 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we are probally going to use a f20c now but leave it a 2litres get some cams head works etc done (we are now looking to see if we can run carbs on it and still retain vtec). traction shouldnt be an issue because of the low torque of the f20c at low revs. and the block isnt that heavy about 40kg over a 7age
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: clubman build up Thu, 06 October 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
40kg is huge in clubman racing and i mean huge.dont bother with carbies,just go after market efi and get one with data logging.makes life a little easyer than keeping records.
mick
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clubman build up Sun, 09 October 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex gotta say he is quite dubious about your plans.

Carbs on an F20C is simply insane, the inlet is a critical part of the engines intake system. Being one of the worlds absolute best N/A motors a team of highly paid engineers likely spent 1000s of hours develloping it and to think that a pair of carbs will best it is just pure folly. Same too with the cams and head.

The Honda VTEC motors dont take well to changes, for the most part mods tend to go backwards power-wise because they are so well made in the first place.

The thing also makes very good torque for a 2.0L performance motor because of its stroke.

The F20C makes 190 odd kw stock which with an average Clubman racing weight of 500Kg gives it a power to weight ratio of over 500Hp per tonne, which is well above super car territory. Making traction difficult without very wide sticky tyres.

Remember that in racing its not how much power a car has its how well it corners consistently, EG light weight, sorted suspension usable linear power and driver ability.

A stock motor is cheaper and more reliable too.

Rex
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: clubman build up Fri, 14 October 2005 15:12 Go to previous message
i'd rather a megabusa personally.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my time at PC5
Next Topic:skid pan