Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 05:24 Go to next message
I know changing an old auto to manual is easy,
connect the inhibbitor switch and re route the reverse light switch,
but is changing manual to auto just as basic, install the inhibbitor switch into the starter wiring ang route the reverse switch?

are the Manual tunnels smaller than an auto one?

I'm talking about old school celicas here so its nothing advanced.
XA22/23/28 etc

Cheers Roadrunner
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tunnels are the same size as far as i know.
The rest is pretty much as you said, connect the neutral start switch to the gearbox wires, plug in the reverse light.

Other things to note (pretty obvious);

Auto brake pedal is needed

The shifter hole for the T shifter is further back than the hole that the manual shifters have - there could be slight issues mounting this without the threads in the chasis to screw it into. But a bit of clever thinking would solve the problem.

You'd need to remove the spigot bearing from the crank.

The auto tailshafts are different

The autos sometimes had different radiators which had an oil cooler built into them - either get an auto radiator or get a small oil cooler and mount it somewhere up the front, connect the lines from the gearbox

You need the auto flexplate (flywheel)

That's all I can really think of just now.. I think it's all.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and you'd need to see a head doctor about why on earth you would want to do this !!!
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 16:17

and you'd need to see a head doctor about why on earth you would want to do this !!!

if you had 500kw?

Smile
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i had 500kw in a old celica i imagine id end up going to some form of medical facility... ie morgue..
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What if it was for purity's sake? Like taking the car back to it's factory state...

Far fetched, but that's all I can think of.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then if it was facotry auto wouldnt one assume it already had all the appropriate mounts etc already in the chasis.... ? all you would need would be the auto parafinalia..
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Fri, 14 October 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant that's the only reason I could think of for changing it from manual to auto.. ie it had been converted in the past from auto to manual, and they wanted to go back
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Sat, 15 October 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still...youd have to be mental, people go from auto to manual for a good reason...people go from manual to auto because they cant drive.......i dunno
Androoo
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: changing manual to auto Sat, 15 October 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 second 1/4 mile drag car - manual?

F1 car - manual?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Sat, 15 October 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F1 car manual assisted auto, drag car auto fair enuff...but we're talking about like 50hp 30 year old celicas for fuck sake Rolling Eyes
Androoo
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: changing manual to auto Sat, 15 October 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 14:04

F1 car manual assisted auto, drag car auto fair enuff...but we're talking about like 50hp 30 year old celicas for fuck sake Rolling Eyes

-=DV=- wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 11:05

still...youd have to be mental, people go from auto to manual for a good reason...people go from manual to auto because they cant drive.......i dunno

haha well i wouldnt want an auto celica, just pointing out that auto isnt all bad Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: changing manual to auto Sat, 15 October 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know heaps of ppl that changed to an auto for very valid reasons, and if you tryed to bag them out for it you'd look like an idiot. (injuries etc making it difficult to drive a manual.)
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Sat, 15 October 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 16:34

I know heaps of ppl that changed to an auto for very valid reasons, and if you tryed to bag them out for it you'd look like an idiot. (injuries etc making it difficult to drive a manual.)

i know there are valid reasons to drive an auto, including injuries/disabilities, but i mean for ur average joe driving one...if u cant coordinate accelerating, breaking and changing gears at the same time, you really shouldnt be on the fucking road at all....i dunno....i just really hate morons that drive autos around paying no attention to what they are doing and making the road dangerous. i also understand that there are alot of very skilled drivers on the road behind the wheel of autos...but yall know damn well what im saying anyway
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: changing manual to auto Mon, 17 October 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calm down mother f@#$%r,
thank you dale for your confirmation, and i want to build a car for my girl friend, she drives everyday to the city at 15km/h and doesnt want a manual.

Quote:

....i just really hate morons that drive autos around paying no attention to what they are doing and making the road dangerous. i also understand that there are alot of very skilled drivers on the road behind the wheel of autos...but yall know damn well what im saying anyway

and im sure your australias next peter brock

I'm sure you could crash just as easily in a manual as in an auto
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: changing manual to auto Mon, 17 October 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL @ funny ideas people have Razz

the only reason i would not want to drive an auto is because they usually have poor kickdown/gear selection... for everyday driving i much prefer it (although i like my left leg exercise also).

lemme guess.. all the people confused about why someone would change to auto are young males who are sure they are good drivers? Razz

i totally agree since sydnmey traffic in the peak hours (like ? 6-8hrs every day) sucks arse, and with a manual it is really really annoying, even with normal clutch.... you spend 3/4 of your time half engaging clutch to crawl the next 10 metres...

not paying attention? i'm sure everyones attention is completely focused at 10km/hr on the pac highway Razz
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: changing manual to auto Mon, 17 October 2005 05:32 Go to previous message
damn people get bent out of shape easily because other people dont think the same way they do.

i drive two cars, one is manual, one is auto, i drive the auto at night because i cbf changing gears, and i drive the manual one if i want to have a bit of fun, manual and auto for long distance driving is exactly the same.

If people prefer auto, thats their choice, stop being a tool about it.

Eldar.O.

edit: Oh, and ive had an auto Ta22, the car sucked ass to drive, but it still went i guess... not all that bad.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 05:34]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Shorter stroke TRD Blues
Next Topic:Clear Corner lenses and other RARE parts comming soon
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 09:08:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00571608543396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.