Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Corolla SX handbrake problem Tue, 11 October 2005 12:19 Go to next message
Hi
I've owned a ae92 corolla SX for 2 years now and i've noticed that the handbrake doesn't seem to work as well as it use to.
I can push the car while the handbrake is up!!!

I've put in new brake pads for the rear (it has disc brakes not drums) but its still the same.

I've also losen the handbrake adjustment nut, pump the brake so their fully in and then re-adjust the handbrake so it has around 6 to 7 clicks but still no luck.

Any sugestion?
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Tue, 11 October 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the adjusting nut to tighten it up until you're happy with it, generally the cables stretch a bit with time.

Which adjusting nut did you use? You need to use the one right on the handbrake lever that you get to after removing the centre console.
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Wed, 12 October 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah theres only one bolt you can play with, and i've already tighten it.

Should I tighten it when its up or down?

Here is a pic of my handbrake:
http://www.auto-studio.com/misc/handbrake.jpg
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Wed, 12 October 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tighten it when the handbrake is down (off), park on a slight hill and do it, that way you can check how it's holding. It can help with an assistant to tell you that the brakes aren't rubbing at all once you let it off and start rolling too.

There's supposed to be a second nut which goes on top of that one to lock them together so it doesn't creep looser, do you have that?

There might be another adjustment on the brakes themselves if that doesn't fix it.. I'll check my book for you on that if you get stuck.

One other thing, is that nut as tight as you can get it? It looks bottomed out!
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Wed, 12 October 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Tighten it when the handbrake is down (off), park on a slight hill and do it, that way you can check how it's holding. It can help with an assistant to tell you that the brakes aren't rubbing at all once you let it off and start rolling too.

I tighten it while the handbrake was down and still nothing.

Quote:

There's supposed to be a second nut which goes on top of that one to lock them together so it doesn't creep looser, do you have that?

No, theres only one bolt on it. I added another and its just a little better. And my handbrake is very tight now it only does like 3 clicks.

Quote:

There might be another adjustment on the brakes themselves if that doesn't fix it.. I'll check my book for you on that if you get stuck.

That would be great if u can look that up for me.

Quote:

One other thing, is that nut as tight as you can get it? It looks bottomed out!

Yes, its as tight as it will go. If i tighten it any more i kill the nut and the nut becomes as if its lose. Which I have replace twice now.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Thu, 13 October 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude you'll more then likely find you have a problem with one of the calipers. You'll find it'll be stuck open which in turn will not allow the other caliper to work properly. You'll need someone else to work the handbrake while your under the car, i found it was the only way apart from pulling off both calipers and belting the living siht out of them both Mad
tobyoste
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Thu, 13 October 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The disc brake system used on the rear of the SX has a system to automatically adjust itself each time you apply the brakes so in theory you don't need to adjust the nuts near the handbrake handle. Unfortunately, like most brake automatic adjustment systems, they don't always work very well.

I'm not sure, but I think it has a spring loaded split nut built into the piston/caliper that needs to be screwed all the way back in, each time you replace the brake pads. Then, as the pads wear, the split nut will adjusts itself. When you find the handbrake goes out of adjustment, its often due to the spring loaded split nut not working properly.

If you pull off the rear calipers (you don't have to break the hydraulic line) you will notice that the piston has two slots on the top and bottom of its front face. If you make a tool from a piece of water pipe (cut it in a way so you have two mating bits pointing out that match roughly with the slots - then drill a hole in it so you can turn the pipe with a long screwdriver through the hole), you can screw the piston back all the way back in. Then, put it all back together and pump the brakes and operate the handbrake a few times and the handbrake will adjust up at the caliper. The nuts on the cable near the handbrake handle are for final adjustment only.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Toby
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Thu, 13 October 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like the water pipe home job tool, Very Happy nice. i normally just struggle with a pair of long nose pliers. Embarassed
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Fri, 14 October 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, Thanks

I'll give it a go on the weekend.

Thanks for the idea of the water pipe tool Smile
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Fri, 14 October 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that bolt at the handbrake lever is for adusting cable only, it will not make the park brake hold, if you tighten it too much you will snap the cable

tobyoste method is correct but if you havent tried so do this: losen cable completely (from that bolt you showed, pump the brake pedal about 50 times, then tighten up the cable again til you get about 5 clicks. this way usually works otherwise you have manually wind the piston out like tobyoste said
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Corolla SX handbrake problem Sat, 15 October 2005 06:24 Go to previous message
Cool, my handbrake works now Smile

Although the right side works abit better then the left side, but you can't always have it perfect. At least its heaps better then before.

Thanks for all your help guys Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where to find 18RG sparkplug leads? in Adelaide?
Next Topic:fuel pump stops when hot (again)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 04:46:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061740875244141 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.