Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
im sorry i offend people Fri, 14 October 2005 13:22 Go to next message
anyonone in perth know where to get carbonfibre... any idea what the shits worth...
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: im sorry i offend people Fri, 14 October 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you talking about? Carbon fibre stuff made for you or carbon fibre matting?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: im sorry i offend people Fri, 14 October 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and real carbon fibre, or look-a-like stuff? (which is just fibreglass with 1 layer of carbon fibre over the top to give that textured quality so many ricers love)
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
texture? are you talking look or feel as i thought it is usually covered in clear stuff to make it flat and smooth. You could always goto the local shop and get carbon fiber contact... that stuff exists right?
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i want real carbonfiber, thinking of making my own bonnet with vents rather then liftling the back of mine up, keen to see how much in price is it compared to fiberglass
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so your well aware of how carbon fiber works and believe you are able to mold your own? if so then good luck with it, but if not you really should research how hard this will be.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol carbon fibre is 100times more expensive than fibre glass so id just forget about it and go glass
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all depends who you know
get in sweet with a boat builder and they'll be able to make you a bonnet for half the price (or less) than most bodykit places, in carbon or glass.
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to mfx.com.au and look at the universal body kits namely their vents (galss = $180.. carbon $350) so using your theory A.(BEARED) carbon fibers 100 x more expensive then glass and using your theory B. (NDGCPR) harder to work with carbon.. explain why this isnt reflected in the price... if your ask me .. yeah it maybe a little more expensive, yeah it may be a bit harder then fibreglass but they know that people are willing to pay the extra to get "the look" thats why they charge twice as much.. NOT 100 TIMES (proving theory A wrong). u use the same principles as in fiberglass so how can it be that much harder... im tell u boys how it goes since none of yas are brave enough to give it a go yourself (correct me if im wrong)
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you sure showed everyone, way to go tiger!

you will go far in the world with that attitude.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you also might want to check on the different methods of curing fibreglass vs curing carbon fibre.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you get clear fibre glass??

get a totally clear bonnet so every can look in.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im inclined to beleive he was being sarcastic with the "100 times more expensive" comment.

my friend knows where to get this shit in Perth, but because of your attitude towards people offering you advice.

i dont want to know what youd say to me if i got the information for you.

yes, some things are better left unsaid, this isnt one of those things.

Eldar.O.
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheres the encourgement, it seems everyone else thinks its a bad idea to experiment. dont know how u can substitue 100 x for approx 2 x and consider it a sarcastic comments, sounds like the guy doesnt have a clue how much it costs - i dont either. read a bit about it today - sounds interesting not to mention fun. as for a clear bonnet - who reaaly wqants to stare at my ugly 7m engine bay...i dont m aybe i should airbrush a 1jz engine on it - then everyone can bow to me
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasn't criticising dude i was just saying, i have worked with fiberglass and found it a pain in the ass to get even a flat surface. i also believed that carbon fiber was a type of woven thing (it was a guess i am not stating this as fact) thus being even harder to work with. Also i would think thats where most of the cost difference would come from.

You state that you "read a bit about it today" meaning that you have seen it somewhere and thought "how hard can it be?" without actually thinking about how it is all gonna work. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting yourself into, if you were making vents then i would say go for it, but a whole bonnet will be frigging hard to make right, even a slight twist will stuff it up (as my friends carbon bonnet now sits up on one side because it was made at a cheap place and has a twist. But hey if you got the money and time then good luck to you, i was only trying to help.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stealth007008 wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 20:50

wheres the encourgement, it seems everyone else thinks its a bad idea to experiment. dont know how u can substitue 100 x for approx 2 x and consider it a sarcastic comments, sounds like the guy doesnt have a clue how much it costs - i dont either. read a bit about it today - sounds interesting not to mention fun. as for a clear bonnet - who reaaly wqants to stare at my ugly 7m engine bay...i dont m aybe i should airbrush a 1jz engine on it - then everyone can bow to me

believe me dude, carbon is more difficult to work with than glass..

if you can, the best way is to make up a good mould, then get prepreg carbon sheets (expensive), vacuum bag it, and oven cure it.

most home jobs (and a lot of professional jobs) actually end up weight similar to steel anyway...

for the home job, either make mould and get shopped strand prayed on by boat/pool builder... or go the hard yards and use matting and squeegee the resin in...

it's messy, it's bad for your health, i sure as hell would pay someone to do it for me if i could afford it/convince them Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: im sorry i offend people Sat, 15 October 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 21:25

i also believed that carbon fiber was a type of woven thing (it was a guess i am not stating this as fact) thus being even harder to work with. Also i would think thats where most of the cost difference would come from..

carbon is usually woven matting, but the way it is woven affects its "drapability".. more drapable = more expensive..

large parts of F1 cars are made from single sheets of incredibly complex drapable carbon matting!!!
deviant
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DIY carbon fibre isnt easy to do at all. It can be done but be prepared to spend alot of time and money on it and be prepared to decorate your house with a dozen crap atampts that cost you the same as buying one already made. Nothing can beat the satisfaction of building your car yourself but some of it (unless your well versed and have deeps pockets)is best left to a professional.

Its also worth you knowing that carbon fibre body panels are illegal and dangerous on the road, they dont crumple like the exsisting steel panels but shatter into thousands of shards which give really nasty splinters and dont absorb the impact of a crash. If you hit a pedestrian and they fall onto the bonnet they will fall straight through and smack their head on the engine instead of the relatively soft bonnet your car came with which will no doubt kill them or leave them in a vegtative state and due to your ilegal bonnet that makes YOU responsible for it.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and carbon splinters can't be found on xray No No No

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 06:07]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 16:07

and carbon splinters can't be found on xray No No No

eeek, so they just have to dig and dig and dig!!!! Shocked
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why u dont stop....
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stealth007008 wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 16:55

thats why u dont stop....

don't stop what? driving after you hit people? Shocked

tell me you mean something else.....
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 14:45

lol carbon fibre is 100times more expensive than fibre glass so id just forget about it and go glass

its not 100 times maybee 10 times

you can get carbon fiber mat for $50 a meter but you need to remember that you will need atleast 3 layers so you probably looking at atleast probably $500 worth of material for a bonnet. Your alot better off with fiberglass or you could even use a fiberglass renforced carbon fiber for your bonnet.

Before you start making it i suggest you logg onto amazon or similar and get yourself the book competition car composites it will tell you everything you need to know about how to make your bonnet. Once you learn how much work is involved you may well just decide to buy one off the shelf or get some1 to make you one.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 07:20]

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deviant wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 15:19

Its also worth you knowing that carbon fibre body panels are illegal and dangerous on the road, they dont crumple like the exsisting steel panels but shatter into thousands of shards which give really nasty splinters and dont absorb the impact of a crash. If you hit a pedestrian and they fall onto the bonnet they will fall straight through and smack their head on the engine instead of the relatively soft bonnet your car came with which will no doubt kill them or leave them in a vegtative state and due to your ilegal bonnet that makes YOU responsible for it.

So i guess that means that fiberglass is illegal too? what about aluminum? As i have heard people making stuff from that cause its lighter.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: im sorry i offend people Mon, 17 October 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 17:25

So i guess that means that fiberglass is illegal too? what about aluminum? As i have heard people making stuff from that cause its lighter.

if your car has to meet crash standards, then technically you cannot swap to fibre panels at the front at all without it being illegal...
deviant
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: im sorry i offend people Tue, 18 October 2005 00:08 Go to previous message
I think it would mean you cant swap ANY panels not just the ones on the front. i wonder what the deal is if you crash your car and replacement panels are no longer available or un-economical to source, can you use fibreglass / carbon fibre then?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT Badge ???
Next Topic:half cuts in perth
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 13:12:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010324954986572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.