Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
2tg/3tg hybrid question Thu, 13 October 2005 19:24 Go to next message
ok now this might sound stupid but i have to ask it neway as i dont want to build the the 2tg block if it wont work. here is my question:

on the 3tgte block there is a breather, im guessing so u dont block your dipstick away, relieve pressure ect. there isnt one on the 2tgeu block so will it still work with the turbo??

sorry if it sounds stupid but i need to bore one of them out and i dont want to bore the 2tg one if its gonna f^^k up.

thank you
  Send a private message to this user    
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Fri, 14 October 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, I don't know if this is any help and I'm not trying to be a smartarse.

2 cents on 2TG/3TG hybrids;

These motors kick arse as a naturally aspirated twinkie, precisely because the hybrid process results in a slightly higher compression (higher than a 3TC lol), but I think costs to turbo might not be worth the hassle. ie get a high comp motor and then decompress it?

If you want turbo, why not rebuild a 3TGTEU or you might even pick one up thats good to go. I saw one on these forums for $700! (about $2000 less than what I paid for mine Confused, although it was good to go, I just droped it in).

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 02:11]

yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Fri, 14 October 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilcrash,

I am guessing that the breather is/was part of the PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation).

I am surprised the 2T-GEU has not got the same thing.

I know that the plain 3T has the PCV outlet on the rocker cover.

The 2T's and G's I know had the PCV outlet on a square-ish canister bolted to the side of the block under the inlet manifold and the hose ran via the PCV valve up into the balance tubes on the manifold.

Regardless, it all boils down to needing some form of one-way ventilation out of the block. It will stop any blow-by gasses building up in there which can blow the motor sky high if they ignite.

If the 2T-GEU has no outlet as such, it will have the cam cover breather and this is simply run to a filtered catch tank. Not ideal but it works.

If you use a block with the breather you need to figure whether to plumb it into a catch tank or into the inlet side of the turbo to be burnt.

If it is to be burnt the PCV Valve should be kept in. This will draw fresh air in through a flitered cam cover breather as originally designed by Toyota and hence the PCV term.

Either block can be made to work and it will work on the turbo version as well.

Regards

Rodger
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Fri, 14 October 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the deal is i have a 3tgte with no inlet or dizzy, and i have a complete 2tgeu, the only parts i am using from the 3tgte are the crankshaft and con rods. i have a set of arias 3tgte pistons which i am going to use and im going to rebuild my ct20 or buy another one.

if i use my 2tgeu block i dont need to change my enigne number/mod plate. thus i want to use it if i can. im only chasing 150-200 rwhp. i was happy with my 85.1(stock 2tgeu) but it started to to make noises and needed a rebuild. so i am spending the 3-4k on building my hybrid.

i will check my block again to look for the pcv.

thanx for the help
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Fri, 14 October 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup sounds like a plan, I'd be interested to know how you go with it. 3 to 4 thousand builds a pretty impressive motor if it's done right. Good luck with it. Turbo's still there if you want them...
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Sat, 15 October 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the boost retard on a 3tgte a mechanical unit on the dizzy or is it computer controlled?
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Sat, 15 October 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve M, do a search on 3TGTEU boost cut.

Lol, I'm a 'boost retard'.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 October 2005 11:57]

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Sat, 15 October 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the breather is good, my hybrid didnt have one, i ended up blowing the dipstick out of the engine on the racetrack and loosing half my oil Shocked
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Sat, 15 October 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so i think i might use the 3tgte block hehe, just to be safe, has neone modified the oil return to not hit the engine mount?? how did u do it. i was just going to remove the bend from it by cutting both ends and running a rubber hose, will this work??

in a few weeks wen i get enough money u will probly see more posts with silly questions while im puttin my engine back together.

laterdays
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Mon, 17 October 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coupla thing to consider:

If you use the 3T-GT crank in the 2TG, you may have to solve some clearance issues, with the crankshaft web, and the bottom of the block. Easy enough, with a die grinder.

There are plenty of 2TG intake manifold around, 3T-GT, may be a bit harder to come by.

If you use the 2TG head, you may have to have the valve reliefs in the 3T-GTE pistons re-cut. (long time ago, we had to have that done when building a hybrid.)

Make sure your crankcase is positively ventilated, some hi performance engine builders specify the use of a vacuum pump!

cheers Chuck.

lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg hybrid question Mon, 17 October 2005 19:43 Go to previous message
does any one have a pic of the pcv on a 2tgeu???

i cant find mine
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S
Next Topic:RA60 Kaaz 2way diff question.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:16:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060179233551025 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.