Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Question - Drift engines?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 00:16 Go to next message
Hey fellas this is a simply question, but as ive found the answers are much more scatered.

Im building up a AE71 corolla for drifting.
Now i have one engine that im thinking of buying, its a 4agze, comes with loom and everything for a excellent price.
i have been told that the gze will rock on the track

however, i have also been told, get a ge as they rev more and are much better to start with.

So, what do you drift guys out there use (hachi's and rolla'). Which is better? Why? what are the advantages of each engine?

i would love to know this as id like to get the good gze thats in wicked condition, however, if the gze's got no advantages on the ge id rather not spend the extra cash.

Thanks

- Grant
  Send a private message to this user  
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a gze for more torque
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v-tec wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 10:16

i would love to know this as id like to get the good gze thats in wicked condition, however, if the gze's got no advantages on the ge id rather not spend the extra cash.

The 4A-GZE is basically the same as the 4A-GE except it has significantly more power and torque. You can decide for yourself if that's an advantage.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 10:05

v-tec wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 10:16

The 4A-GZE is basically the same as the 4A-GE except it has significantly more power and torque. You can decide for yourself if that's an advantage.

Laughing Laughing

If you can get a 4AGZE...then i'd get one. The 4AGE is the cheaper option of course, but especially for drift the pro's for the GZE are far greater.
Slippy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just bought a 4agze also. I have the 4age at the moment. I think to be competive on the track you need as much power as you can get. Yeah sure some of the blokes in Japan are still running the 4age but they are massively modified with flat side carbies etc etc!!! I myself would rather go a wicked NA motor but would be to much trouble for a daily driver aswell, hence my choice to buy the 4agze.
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks alot fella's sounds good, im more leaning towards this gze as it sounds like an awesome buy, plus the fella selling is a good mate.

if anyone else has opinions on this keep it comming as im still deciding
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People don't seem to relise that old corollas cant handle a gze. They hear forced induction and there like ohh ahhh. Your ae71 has the same/similar cassis as the ae86? Im pretty sure these cassis can only handle 200hp or so. the gze would be easier to learn with i think but please make sure your car is preped to handle this kind of power not to mention your gearbox. You dont want twisted chasis

good luck anyway sounds like a beast

(put a vtec) Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hachi2Muchi wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 12:42

People don't seem to relise that old corollas cant handle a gze. They hear forced induction and there like ohh ahhh. Your ae71 has the same/similar cassis as the ae86? Im pretty sure these cassis can only handle 200hp or so. the gze would be easier to learn with i think but please make sure your car is preped to handle this kind of power not to mention your gearbox. You dont want twisted chasis

(put a vtec) Smile

have you ever seen a twisted chassis in an old corolla.. that wasn't powered by a V8?

the chassis may only be able to handle 200hp, but that would be usually stated in terms of grip, but since in dorifto sik bro you don't want grip at the rear... more power is not a problem as it's not going anywhere anyway.. ie once wheels are spinning, more power spins them faster, but not much else Razz

please don't suggest seam riveting Wink

oh, and as for GZE... you know it's supercharged right?

maybe it's time toymods set up a "DoRiFtO" forum.... perhaps as extension of hot4's?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fully agree with oldcorollas, u have to wonder where people get their info from sometimes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And wouldn't torque kill a chassis not power ie i could have a 6.5L V8 turbo diesel that produces 190hp but 600Nm of torque, me thinks that'd kill your chassis more than supercharged or turbo'd 4age that might put out 200+hp and 200-250Nm of torque.

But i'll be right cos its got under 200hp sweet.
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks fella's im fairly sure the old corolla should be more than fine to handle a stock gze

and yes i know its a supercharged engine. This is mainly why im thinkin of getting. Just my main concerns are that ive been told the differences between the rev ranges.

mainly that the gze revs alot less so that gives me concerns on whether its driftable in the top range
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v-tec wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 13:11

mainly that the gze revs alot less so that gives me concerns on whether its driftable in the top range

It doesn't matter because at that point you'd have more torque available in the next gear anyhow, the whole idea of having the supercharged motor is that you don't have to be banging the limiter to get and keep the car sideways.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The useable rev range is only relevant when choosing overall gearing. A supercharged 1.6 litre engine will require different gearing to a highly-strung NA 1.6 to produce optimal results.

I might add that the usable rev range of the GZE will be much broader than the GE, which I can only see as a good thing - whether it be street, drift, or real motorsport.
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey oldrollas,

i'd have to disagree on drift cars not needing much grip.
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie is right about gearing

if your holding limiter too much while sliding u got a few things wrong,

suspension is no good
not enough grip
and like norbie said gearing...

hehe drift is a "real" motorsport isn't it norbs?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timottaway wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 00:55

hey oldrollas,

ok.. how much rear grip is needed (wheels spinning= lower grip). what lateral G forces are generated? methinks they are less than a proper circuit car... or even same car driven around the corners instead of slid around.

you think drift cars even get anywhere near 1G lateral during cornering?

i think dorfito cars need to be stable and predictable... but if the rear wheels are spinning, and the front wheels are turned in the direction you are going (and can't have more grip than the rear, which is sliding, otherwise car gets turned around) then the actual level of grip is not very high Razz

how do you mean they need "grip" (i'm curious;))
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timottaway wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 01:00

hehe drift is a "synchronised swimming" for motorsport isn't it norbs?

fixed Razz
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 12:48

(put a vtec) Smile

have you ever seen a twisted chassis in an old corolla.. that wasn't powered by a V8?

the chassis may only be able to handle 200hp, but that would be usually stated in terms of grip, but since in dorifto sik bro you don't want grip at the rear... more power is not a problem as it's not going anywhere anyway.. ie once wheels are spinning, more power spins them faster, but not much else Razz

please don't suggest seam riveting Wink

oh, and as for GZE... you know it's supercharged right?

maybe it's time toymods set up a "DoRiFtO" forum.... perhaps as extension of hot4's?

ok

listen to old corolla he knows best
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hachi2Muchi wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 01:36

People don't seem to relise that old corollas cant handle a gze.
Im pretty sure these cassis can only handle 200hp or so.
You dont want twisted chasis

ok
listen to old corolla he knows best

aw shucks Razz

so what AE7/8 or even KE2/3 chassis have you heard of being twisted? real examples?

you sounded pretty sure of your statements, but i have not heard or read anything about actually twisting a chassis, except in reference to V8 powered drag cars.... please teach me a little (chotto oshiete kudasai Razz )

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 15:54]

v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well, it sounds like everyone agrees the better engine to get is the gze.

so if i can ill shoot for that one i had lined up.

Another quick question... is the gze a bastard to fit into an AE engine bay that previously has 4AC engine in it? What has to be moved around etc to get the thing goin?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 13:25

I might add that the usable rev range of the GZE will be much broader than the GE, which I can only see as a good thing - whether it be street, drift, or real motorsport.

Pity about the forced induction multipliers which go along with the wider usable rev range. Razz
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timottaway wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 00:55

hey oldrollas,

lol were do they need grip the front?cause the back sure as shit isnt gripping if it is hanging out,and the tires wont have much grip when they have overheated after being spun for half the track.
mick
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a simple matter of physics. if you dont have grip, you wont go anywhere. drifting is about sliding, yes, but it is about speed also. You wont get speed without enough grip. You need enough power to break grip for cornering, yet you need quite a bit of grip in order to maintain speed.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool now tell me these super dooper tyres that driters use that still have grip after being over heated.ill change the race cars to them.
mick
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Mon, 17 October 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You non drifter dicks just don't understand that most drift cars can corner at higher speeds than one of your wanking track cars!!!
Drifters can also do it with one hand out the window, proving that they can do two things with one hand.... Rolling Eyes
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol, that may be true on the loose stuff, where the buildup of dirt on the outside of the rim allows for greater grip, but on the blacktop you certainly wont find that.
Infact it would be interesting one day to get a drifter to do a grip run as well as a drift run and then superimpose them .
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blown86 wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 09:50

You non drifter dicks just don't understand that most drift cars can corner at higher speeds than one of your wanking track cars!!!
Drifters can also do it with one hand out the window, proving that they can do two things with one hand.... Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ROTFLMAO

Someone needs to tell this to the F1 drivers... and the V8 Supercar drivers... and the Super Tourer drivers... and every other tarmac racing formula. They've had it wrong all these years, the fastest way around a corner is sideways with massive slip angles on the tyres! OMG it's all so clear now.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you are a dead set idiot.you don't know much about cars do you. lol i was drifting before it became a sport in japan.were do you think drifting came from? drifting cam from guys that used to have fun circuit racing and circuit racing came from guys having fun on the street.
dont live under a rock blownae86.listen and learn like smart people do.
blown ae86 put your money were your mouth is{god i love taint this}get the best handling and fastest drifter in the country{i can give you the number for them if you like}and bring it out to oran park when we are testing and you can show us how they can corner faster.we are down to 41 seconds around oran park south circuit in a full bodied car.and if you win you can have all four of my cars if you don't ill have you car and your next three as well!lmao
we have a deal.
didnt think so.
people are not having a go at drifting there explaining how a car works.i love drifting just dont understand it as a organized sport as im a circuit racer,so i like going fast,cornering fast and limit braking.if sideways was faster you wouldn't see my car in a straight line ever.
sarcastic
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

proving that they can do two things with one hand

blown ae86 so what are the two things they do with one hand?one hand is steering and while the said hand is steering what else is it doing?hitting the blinker switch?the wiper switch?
lmao
mick
p.s ill be showing your comments to the drift guys for a laugh mate.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
between a GE and GZE... i'd prefer the GZE

because the time the GE reaches high revs to initiate sideways movement, the GZE probably only needs half the time and it's got torque and power to go sideways.

Plus GZEs are super responsive especially after the 2500 rpm when the supercharger is on, thereby allowing you to use the car for track and drift as you see fit (suspension allowing of course). The response is crazy, while cruising, as soon as you plant the foot down, you can feel this instant pull and the speedometer just jump like it's NOS'ed, best part is you control the acceleration as you like.

Be advised however, that GZE motors are more complicated because of an extra load i.e. supercharger pulley, and the supercharger itself is quite complicated and really stuck in there. now if only i can figure out why my supercharger doesn't turn on anymore... argh..

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive never looked at them but the 2wd hilux motors{torquey}and a sc14 bolted to it would be a good sideways motor.i dont think there is the room for a v6 camry motor but this would be good aswell.but for ease a gze is hard to beat,and if your gentle the box will just handle a gze.the main limiting factor with a sprinter is the diff and the t50.good combo is jdm diff,w58{bit draining on a gze but handles much more punishment} and a gze with nevo pulley,this is a cheap cost effective way.
mick
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 12:28

ive never looked at them but the 2wd hilux motors{torquey}and a sc14 bolted to it would be a good sideways motor.i dont think there is the room for a v6 camry motor but this would be good aswell.but for ease a gze is hard to beat,and if your gentle the box will just handle a gze.the main limiting factor with a sprinter is the diff and the t50.good combo is jdm diff,w58{bit draining on a gze but handles much more punishment} and a gze with nevo pulley,this is a cheap cost effective way.
mick

we measured it up

V6 Camry motor will fit

with room for a GT30 at the front Wink
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 13:03

kingmick wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 12:28

mick

we measured it up

V6 Camry motor will fit

with room for a GT30 at the front Wink

now that would be a mad drift combo!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which camry V6 we talking about here 3VZFE or 1MZFE
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well we are weighing up whether to go for something like that or an NA V8 (VH41DE or 1UZ) into my mates FC...

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, this seems to have devolved into a shitfight, but I hope I can add something to the discussion.

A ZE is a better drift motor. It has a better torque spread and is easier to get more power out of. Also the power lower in the rev range means you don't have to thrash the engine as hard to get it to go, so reliability benefits.

And rear end grip is important for drift. Having moved from 175/75 13s to 195/50 15s to good quality 195/50 15s on the same drift car, the difference in handling and corner speed is marked.

And yes, track cars corner much faster than drift cars.

Hen
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 14:13

And yes, track cars corner much faster than drift cars.

listen to this man...he is wise
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 13:39

well we are weighing up whether to go for something like that or an NA V8 (VH41DE or 1UZ) into my mates FC...

NA nothing... keep the stock cams and run a Lysholm 2300 Razz
just a lazy 1BAR would be nice Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 14:19

MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 13:39

NA nothing... keep the stock cams and run a Lysholm 2300 Razz
just a lazy 1BAR would be nice Wink

money is a factor

if its gonna be forefed it will run a single EBAY spec turbo
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 14:43

And rear end grip is important for drift. Having moved from 175/75 13s to 195/50 15s to good quality 195/50 15s on the same drift car, the difference in handling and corner speed is marked.

Hen, i agree with all your comments, including the above. yes grip is important, of course it is, but in the real world scale of things, all i was trying to say is that sliding grip will never be nearly as high non-sliding grip. of course you need grip to stop car spinning out, but you can always go faster if the rear end is not sliding (as you also said)

but i still want to hear from people who have twisted their chassis.. especially the large number of people now with 4AGTE's pushing above 170RWKW...

Cya, Stewart
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 12:48

i guess i should modify this post to say
Quote:

"you don't want conventional levels of grip that are usually desirable in a racing situation, otherwise you will have too much rear end grip, and sliding becomes less predictable and not as stable (if rear end wants to "grip up" all the time and hops etc), hance the harder shocks, harder springs etc..."

i understand that a car needs to be "set up" for dorifto but i also understand that these settings are not comparable to a car which is set up to not slide. it's good to hear that many people do understand, and it's just a vocal minority of "cartoon dorifto boys" (not my terminology Razz) that seem to perpetuate myths for newcomers.

i think the mission for new forums will be to debunk urban car mths, and not allow them to perpetuate Very Happy

Cya, Stewart
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your going to forefed it{lol}on a tight budget just do a deal with an importer for secound hand turbos!if they blow just change them.sometimes you get lucky with used ones.
mick
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This is the funniest shit I have read in a month.

I regularly apply the handbrake and steer the wrong way before an approach to a corner. roll:
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 16:55

This is the funniest shit I have read in a month.

I regularly apply the handbrake and steer the wrong way before an approach to a corner. roll:

drift speed may be higher, but your speedometer being up there is because your wheels are spinnning. Is your car really getting anywhere fast? 100 km/h entering a corner with wheels spinning wouldn't mean the car is entering the corner at exactly 100 km/h. the loss of traction means the car is entering at maybe 60 or 70 km/h effectively.

I take drift as a skill to have fun in a car. If u wanna go really fast, nothing beats circuit. (unless you're coming down a mountain but then i'd be watching too much cartoons)

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh sorry.

My previous post should end with "/sarcasm".

This whole thread makes as much sense as drifting.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2005 08:52]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT you mean my replies dont make sense?ok back to reading fast fours for me for some more info!lmfao
mick
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Example of gze in 86 for oldcorolla

tsk* tsk* tsk*

Just too much powah Cool

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7342/ae86broke8yw.jpg

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 19:09

GT you mean my replies dont make sense?ok back to reading fast fours for me for some more info!lmfao
mick

Hahaha...we all need to back to basics and start again with Fast4s... Laughing
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 10:33

Quote:

proving that they can do two things with one hand

blown ae86 so what are the two things they do with one hand?one hand is steering and while the said hand is steering what else is it doing?hitting the blinker switch?the wiper switch?
lmao
mick
p.s ill be showing your comments to the drift guys for a laugh mate.

What else can they do with one hand???

//taking the piss// Very Happy

Perhaps I should have used a Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hachi2Muchi wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 20:45

Example of gze in 86 for oldcorolla

tsk* tsk* tsk*

Just too much powah Cool

no. thats just too little skill. and looks like an NA manifold anyway.

since you are sure that a GZE, or 200hp, will twist an AE86 chassis, i would like to know what you base that opinion on, or if it just your personal epinion?
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No beef intended oldcorolla but Im suprised you picked out that it wasn't a gze. I thought i had everyone fooled.

I read it in an article on a website, unfortunatly i dont have it saved or remember where it was so i guess ill have to eat my words as oldcorolla inists i do.

*gulp Smile were all happy now

Anyway, this article presented information that a powerful engine may twist and bend the ae86 chasis on take off. estimated over 200hp or so.

This is not my opinion and if it was up to me i would say the sprinter is the best car ever(most of you would agree Wink) . Im just pointing out information to vtec to help him make a decision which engine he would prefer. His probably gone and bought the bloddy engine already and were still here posting away.

I posted that picture becuase your asumming that kind of carnage is what im talking about. Its funny dont cha think?

Vtec posted the thread probably to get every angle from this forum to help his decision not one sided. You should have told us your the guru and we will PM you instead

*breath, stretch, shake.... let it go....

Bye Very Happy

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hachi2Muchi wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 00:03

This is not my opinion and if it was up to me i would say the sprinter is the best car ever(most of you would agree)

sprinters are a fad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
i am far from being a guru and accept that i am sometimes misinformed Rolling Eyes, however, i never accept unsubstatiated information and take exception to half truths and rumours being perpetuated (not just here.. i seem to debunk scientific journal articles also Confused )
(oh, and many people aleady do PM! me Razz )

ahh, on takeoff.. thus drag conditions with lots of rear grip Razz heh heh..

hmm, no that looks much more like poor dorifto skills damage.. Laughing Laughing chassis twist is a little more subtle, resulting in a twisted chassis due to the torque of the engine.

but what were they doing with a nice big cage and such low-backed seats?? Confused also interesting the strut brace doesn't seem to have bent

Quote:

No beef intended oldcorolla but Im suprise d you picked out that it wasn't a gze.

i'm not quite as stoopid as i look in real life perhaps Wink

as for torque and twist, you have to put it into perspective. say a GZE has (optimistically) 300Nm of torque, thats 30kg at the end of a 1metre bar.

so... if you put the car in gear, pull the handbrake tight, put a 1m bar onto the crank pulley bolt and hang off it, the chassis will twist? of course a clutch dump will also have flywheel weight attached, and torque is multiplied by gearbox etc (sayy, 90-100kg at 1m?)

fwiw, i know for a fact that a KE10 chassis will not bend when a 2m bar onto crank pulley bolt has 70kg hanging off it (2mx70kg = 1400Nm) Rolling Eyes
(unless my chassis is now rooted Razz )
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hachi2Muchi wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 10:42

(put a vtec) Smile

ive had a shitty night, i needed a good laugh.

thanks dude.

Eldar.O.

edit: i just read the rest of this derailed thread.

D1-SPEC owns a 250rwhp ae86 that hasnt bent/twisted/affected the chassis at all.

Maybe get some real world examples before you claim some website as gospel.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2005 14:39]

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Tue, 18 October 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 00:17

Hachi2Muchi wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 00:03

This is not my opinion and if it was up to me i would say the sprinter is the best car ever(most of you would agree)

sprinters are a fad

agreed
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Wed, 19 October 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 00:33

edit: i just read the rest of this derailed thread.

D1-SPEC owns a 250rwhp ae86 that hasnt bent/twisted/affected the chassis at all.

Maybe get some real world examples before you claim some website as gospel.

when i was in japan last i was buying some parts from up garage when they were showing me their d1 drift ae86 i asked how much ps is it making? the answer was "300ps without nos and 400ps with nos" the chassis didnt look twisted to me and its thrashed on a regular basis
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: Question - Drift engines? Wed, 09 November 2005 16:07 Go to previous message
Holy crap! What a shitfight! I guess I need to add to it!

Drifting requires very grippy tyres; contrary to common belief. I can't say I have ever drifted, but I do know a but about physics. Look at a picture of a professional drift tyre. It looks quite similar to a track racing semi-slick, or intermediate tyre.

If you tweak the suspension on a pro drift car a bit, you have got yourself an extremely formidable track weapon. There is no doubt about it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:20v QTBs, Different Versions?
Next Topic:can i ask 4 advice
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 11:33:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093898773193359 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.