Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
diablo457
Newcomer

October 2005
Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Sun, 16 October 2005 05:52 Go to next message
hey guys...I have a 1990 Seca SX..

Yesterday I had my friend install my stereo as he's done a few before so I figured he knows what he's doing. Driving home last night I realised I couldn't see any of my instruments...the light is gone :S Also the beep that happens when you leave your headlights on has also stopped working...

Any thoughts? I've checked all the fuses I can find and they were all intact...I really don't know much about cars..
  Send a private message to this user    
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Sun, 16 October 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he probably accidentally cut the power wire to ur instrument cluster lighting... does your new stereo light up when your headlights are on? do the other parts that usually light up when your lights are on light up (like.. A/C stuff, thing around cig. lighter)

if so, just get ur mate to double check the lighting wires.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Sun, 16 October 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suk shit

u shouldnt let apprentices work on yr car

nar just kidding

check to se if he unplugged the dimmer switch

or if he touched the light wire for the stereo to an earth he might have blown the tail light fuse

the tail light fuse powers the dash
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Sun, 16 October 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, if you short the stereo lighting wire (for the OEM stereo) it'll normally blow the fuse for the dash and tail lights.

But your fuse isn't blown Embarassed something to look at anyway

[Updated on: Sun, 16 October 2005 13:51]

GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Mon, 17 October 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dare say he's hooked the stereo earth to the green wire (illumination), on the factory stereo loom. Hook the earth to the brown (or in some cases the white/black), wire and replace the parking light fuse (usually in the engine bay fuse box). After fitting stereo's for seven years, I can't tell you how many times i've seen that done.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Mon, 17 October 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its just the instrument lights then he's probably forgotten to plug the dimmer switch back in - i did that once, took me forever to work out what i'd done. I'm pretty sure someone else asked the same question not long ago too.
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Mon, 17 October 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that Wombat. Just jolted my memory that on the 92 the dimmer switch is in the same panel as the drivers side speaker. Very common problem if you have just swapped a pair of speakers.
GriZZly
Regular

June 2005
Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Mon, 17 October 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if none of the above work mate check to make sure hes actually grounded the negative on the deck rather than wiring to the negative wire on the car

if the negative on the deck is wired to the negative of the car they dash lights just done work (had some 1st hand experience with that Sad)
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Mon, 17 October 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For some strange reason the dimmer switch plug is the same size as the RHS speaker plug on the AE92's and the plugs are in almost the same spot... I dare say he accidentally plugged the dimmer into the speaker and the speaker into the dimmer.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Installed Stereo -> Instrument lights don't work anymore :S Mon, 17 October 2005 21:50 Go to previous message
or the more common thing to do is hook up the earth of the head unit to the "illumination" wire in the factory radio wiring plug.....

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1g-gte & 1g-gteu
Next Topic:2tg/3tg hybrid question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:50:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043461322784424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.