Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
icon5.gif  swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Mon, 17 October 2005 12:17 Go to next message
just wondering if somebody would now first hand if the 5 stud axles from a crown MS65 (any others??) will fit straight in place of the 4 stud axle that come standard with the corona mkII's.

im pretty sure, not 100% but the crown's do have F series diff's right???

so things that may need to be considered are;
-overall axle length
-bearing diameter
-major differences in the flange (NFI what its proply called) on the end of the axle where the studs sit in
- bearing retainer thickness and the 4 bolt hole pattern

any help would be appreiciated
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Mon, 17 October 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie built MS65 have a Borg Warner diff. Very unlikely the stuff will transfer across to a Mark II diff. The chances of finding a Jap import 60/70 series are about zero - I have seen 3 in my life and I look out for this kind of shit.

Maybe try an MS85 Super Saloon (imported) - I'm pretty sure the base models also had Borg Warner diffs as they were built by AMI.

This is why I suggested people use the much more common MS112 diffs. Discs, 5 stud and F series.

Moral of the story - Mark II diffs should be left in Mark IIs.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 22:54

Moral of the story - Mark II diffs should be left in Mark IIs.

Except for the ones broken/rusted beyond repair, ie most of them these days.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie I disgree.

brett_celicacoupe wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 22:17

He never searched. Now he wants help with his sticky situation. A cursory glance would have given him the MS112 diff solution. Another search would have confirmed what diff every Australian Crown from 1967 through to 1986 had.

-overall axle length
-bearing diameter
-major differences in the flange (NFI what its proply called) on the end of the axle where the studs sit in

We know what to consider, which is why the helpful advice (readily available with a search) was offered before the rare car was destroyed.

Does it sound like I'm moralizing? It should. A lack of research has landed him in the shit. He clearly doesn't listen so why offer advice?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 13:23

Norbie I disgree.

He never searched. Now he wants help with his sticky situation. A cursory glance would have given him the MS112 diff solution. Another search would have confirmed what diff every Australian Crown from 1967 through to 1986 had.

-overall axle length
-bearing diameter

We know what to consider, which is why the helpful advice (readily available with a search) was offered before the rare car was destroyed.

Does it sound like I'm moralizing? It should. A lack of research has landed him in the shit. He clearly doesn't listen so why offer advice?

Alas he has already destroyed a much better looking car to acquire said mk2 diff to put into a very ugly model celica (come on we are being honest Razz) Sad (oh I'm guessing you told him in the first place when he was looking for an F series diff to get an MS112 one? In that case I see where you are coming from Smile)

As far as I'm aware he doesn't need 5 stud, but I'm guessing that like the rest of us he would like to be able to find wheels with a offset that will fit one day...

I suggest he take the MXxx diff back and get an ms112 one Razz (also has the bonus of avoiding the wrath of dave Smile)

Cheers
Wilbo
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well thanks for the info anyway Confused

i did search a bit but maybe not enough.

for your peace of mind GT; the diff was a spare the bloke had who owned a MX13. he advertised the whole car for sale but i only wanted the diff. no harm or destruction brought to any MXxx's in the process

last time i drove past, he still had the car so maybe you should buy it Smile

being where i am, rare bits and rare cars are twice as hard to come by. the mkII diff just popped up at a good price and suited my purpose. i know the MS112 diff would be good but the chances of finding one at a wreckers are basically nill, and the price of buying one and freighting it up would be very Xy. when i searched i did see that there was a fair bit of demand for the MS112 diff's but not many people seemed to have them. it would be easyier and cheaper to source a set of axles than the whole diff.
im not desperate to go to 5 stud right now either, it just would be good knowing i can simply swap it in later

seeing as i already have the diff housing made up, would anybody know if the MS112 axles go into the mkII diff housing??

thanx anyway
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 20:06

seeing as i already have the diff housing made up, would anybody know if the MS112 axles go into the mkII diff housing?

Not a hope. The MS112 diff has massive double row bearings.

Try MS85 Super Saloon like I said above.

Failing that, see about redrilling the axles. They'll be covered with a disc hat so hopefully your engineer won't see it.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2005 10:16]

Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett

Why do you want to go 5 stud?

Because of wheels?

If its for brakes you can use the rt142 corona rear disk setup and keep the 4 studs...

-Phil
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: swapping axles between crown and mkII diffs?? (4 -> 5 stud) Tue, 18 October 2005 11:28 Go to previous message
Pure_In_Sanity wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 20:47

Brett

Why do you want to go 5 stud?

Because of wheels?

If its for brakes you can use the rt142 corona rear disk setup and keep the 4 studs...

-Phil

yeh 5 stud would be better because there is a much broader choice of wheels and offsets Smile

i already got a set ST141 avante disks so im set in that respect. Smile

gianttomato wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 20:15

brett_celicacoupe wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 20:06

seeing as i already have the diff housing made up, would anybody know if the MS112 axles go into the mkII diff housing?

Not a hope. The MS112 diff has massive double row bearings.

Try MS85 Super Saloon like I said above.

Failing that, see about redrilling the axles. They'll be covered with a disc hat so hopefully your engineer won't see it.

riteo thanks for that. dont think there are many MS85's wrecking up here but i did see a couple driving around. so they are 5 stud as well??

i might even have to look at re-studding the axles and redrilling the disks. just looking for a cheap/easy alternative. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:adjustable rear camber on my ga65
Next Topic:extractors/exhaust help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:40:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054500102996826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.