Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Sun, 16 October 2005 23:02 Go to next message
Hi all,

I just want to clarify, because i see lots of people (mostly 1j owners Razz ) claiming the 7m motor is a peice of shit. I'm presuming this is mainly becuase of the HG issues and the fact it's a bigger motor and less revvy.

So i want to know officially,

With the head machined and a new oem head gaket installed to the correct torque setting will it blow again easily?

With the head machined, mhg and arp head studs will the problem likely continue at all?

7m'ers share your experiences
Thanks everyone,
Ashlin.
  Send a private message to this user    
SA63
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Sun, 16 October 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a search and it will tell you everything.

The torque setting from factory is not tight enough. With ARP headstuds torqued up and checked regularly would not cause any HG issues.

Cheers
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Sun, 16 October 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which is what i figured, so then the only other "problem" is it's apparent inability to rev.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not that it doesn't rev, it's just that it's got a massive stroke compared to the 1JZ.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kemicalx wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 09:02

I just want to clarify, because i see lots of people (mostly 1j owners Razz ) claiming the 7m motor is a peice of shit.

Thats because it IS teh p00 motor.

Do it once, do it right. Go metal head gasket + ARP studs, and if the p00 motor has suffered from a blown gasket before, have the head checked to make sure it hasnt warped.
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude, i done this before.. first time just changed the head gasket, retorqued, machined head, did everything right and guess what.. it blew again..

best bet is get a mhg, arp studs and do a search on what people torque them up to.. when i did mine i went to an american 7m power site and talked to one of them, cant remember what i torqued them up to off the top of my head but it was more then arp said, but still safe.. no problems with HG since then..

if you are planning any work to the 7m, gat a mhg..

stomps
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i've seen from browsing and searching a MHG and a set of arp head studs should end up costing arounds $400 yer?

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 01:00]

Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the head gasket you use... this time round i used a COMETIC and it cost me $200 through Toymods and a set of ARP studs that cost me around $250.. I am in perth though so postage stung me a bit on the studs..

however on my last motor i used a HKS steel gasket and that was $600 plus postage from japan, this was a few years back though..
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the $400 more for the HKS one warranted?
cambelt
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Mon, 17 October 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who has the cometic 1 in aus ,is it multi layer shim . isnt there a manufacturer in QLD that makes multi layer shim head gaskets .
with all engine parts checked and new torque specs a stock gasket lasts 100000klm with 12 or 13 psi of boost , regualy caining it a 1/3 of the time ,same for a NA motor being cained . on a NA motor not being cained and im mean not over 3000 rpm expect 200 plus 000 klm . i have a customer with a MX 83 thats done 223 000 klm since head work and not showing any bad signs,
just my 2cents
Bodgie Luigi
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stomps wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 10:43

hey dude, i done this before.. first time just changed the head gasket, retorqued, machined head, did everything right and guess what.. it blew again..

best bet is get a mhg, arp studs and do a search on what people torque them up to.. when i did mine i went to an american 7m power site and talked to one of them, cant remember what i torqued them up to off the top of my head but it was more then arp said, but still safe.. no problems with HG since then..

if you are planning any work to the 7m, gat a mhg..

stomps

Did you have your block decked when you did the MHG???
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm good question as this is somethign i really CBF doing.
Bodgie Luigi
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same!!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would be wise to not only focus on the head but also the block as well.

deck the block to be double sure, Ed and his machinist can tell u their opinions on that. The best i was able to describe a 15yr old 7M block deck was undulated like a countryside landscape.

7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do the copper head gaskets go one these motors?
cambelt
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
copper not good .
the CBF route to decking the block when installing a MHG is throwing away time an money , unless u like doing things twice of course , and well u got to have some luck i guess .
seven_mgte
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 7m head gasket issue (7m owners discuss) Tue, 18 October 2005 22:36 Go to previous message
I have heard nothing but good things about the cometic gasket. IIRC, the stock torque for the head bolts was about 54ftlb. Hence they blew. 74-80ftlb does the trick nicely.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Soarer - fitting FM expander
Next Topic:1jz - soarer/chaser/etc Auto's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 09:18:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051331520080566 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.