Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1UZ Manual on the way!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
84supra
Regular

March 2004
1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 03:49 Go to next message
I have plans to make a kit to convert a 1UZ to manual, at a good price.

First I would like some help with a few things:

What flywheel and clutch can be used?

If I have to make a fly wheel I will.
What clutch is cheap and strong enough for the job?

Is a celica 5spd steel case box strong enough?
(given they used to put these behind some pretty powerful Holdens etc.)

I think I could make any box fit.

I would like to be able to sell these kits on the nice side of $1000, including clutch, flywheel, adapter, fork, spigot bearing and throw in bearing.

Any info would help
Thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you want to take the collective knowledge of people on toymods.. and make a quick buck? Razz

might want to run that by the board first...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The WEAKEST box you should use is the W58 5sp as found behind the 7m-ge, 1g-gte, and 2jz-ge engines.

The other (bigger) option is the R154.

The celica steel case (W50) is not a choice i would make.
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't be making much out of it mate.
People will want these and no one is supplying them at a reasonable price!
I am doing Toymods members a favor more than myself!

I will try and find a R154 and make that fit.
The thing with the W50 is that I have one, measured it up and know it will fit.
I am not fortunate enough to have a R154 or a W58 (other than the one under my car) just lying around.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 04:11]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll go broke selling it at that price, or you'll have something the quality of Dellow.

There are enough places that do these things off the shelf already.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nonetheless, oldcorollas is correct.

Please email board@toymods.org.au to gain approval for using our forums to promote and develop such a product first, since commercial advertising is not permitted unless you are a forum sponsor.
This sits in a grey area, and so you'll need to run it by the board first.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 13:56

so you want to take the collective knowledge of people on toymods.. and make a quick buck? Razz

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You'd be just another producer in an already crowded niche. Good luck, but you're going to have to do your own research.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 04:16]

84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just sent an e-mail as sugested. thanks.

I can do my own research if need be. it is simpler to just ask the people who know (you guys)

The idea I have is much simpler to produce than other systems already available.

I'll say it again, I am not going to make much out of this!
I would be doing it for you guys!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were developing a guide to share with the Toymods and wider Toyota modification community, free of charge, I'd be more than willing to help you.

If on the other hand you want leech free information from this community and SELL it, you can get stuffed. That's not what the Toymods forums are all about - we're here to help each other, not help ourselves.

A case in point is my own 2JZ conversion guide, the product of nearly two years of research and labour (not to mention thousands of dollars), which I could easily have compiled into a CD and sold for profit. Instead I have made it available (at my own expense) to anyone who wants it, and I get nothing in return except the gratitude of those who use it to help complete their own projects. Since a great deal of my "research" was obtained from the Toyota modification community I'd feel like a real arsehole trying to on-sell it to people no different to me - so I don't. Razz
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what if you develop it, have a free tech guide here on Toymods and the option of selling a kit to those who do not feel comfortable doing the work themselves with your freely supplied guide and those who are not toymoders.

This should keep everyone happy.
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that's wat you want, when I have completed blueprints of the conversion parts I will post them up.
I appreciate people's help on the foroum, and try to help others out when I can.

I think Willwal hit the nail on the head. Thanks mate.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
84supra wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 14:31

The idea I have is much simpler to produce than other systems already available.

It's quite simple really - a bellhousing and a flywheel, one, if not both, custom. Hopefully you'd be clever enough to pick some readily available clutch bits. It doesn't look promising given that you wish to base your kit on a W50 just because "you have one lying around".

Seroiusly, go fly your kite somewhere else. Rolling Eyes
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You really live up to your biography statement mr tomato man Razz Razz

Lets try and keep it sensible and on topic!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Wed, 19 October 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
84supra,

as you can see from the responses above, you have struck a nerve with the one of the fundamentals that make this community what it is....

There are plenty of ideas i've had which could help this community and make me a few bucks, but i've either kept them to myself or shared them freely.
In your case you're trying to leech the information and THEN make money back from the people who have provided you this information - i wouldnt like it if it were done to me.

And to be completely honest with you, you arent going to be able to sell such a product under $1000 unless you have a factory in mainland china and they make you 1000pcs.....
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Thu, 20 October 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're about 18 months too late.

Neil from Rush Imports already has a kit for 1UZ -> W58 conversions. He's working on R154 at the moment, as well as getting a kit together for the Crown which mounts the 1UZ on a slight angle.

http://www.rushimports.com.au/
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Thu, 20 October 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talking out of line here I know..

But quite frankly, if this guy wants to make a kit for his own 1UZ and needed some information for it, I can't see why people can't help him out. Further, if he wanted information and wanted to help some people out with less manufacturing skills by putting up a cheap kit for it I can't see a problem with that either.. Even further if the information that he gets is IN THIS THREAD, what the hell is the problem? It means anyone can get the information that he gets, and if they want to make their own kit they can do it, but if they want to save themselves some money and buy a cheap kit of 84supra, what's the problem?

84supra, what say when you do get the information, do what you said earlier, put up a complete guide on exactly how to make it and put all of that as free knowledge, and in the same thread put at the top, "If you don't want to go to all the trouble of making it, I sell these at such and such price".

Anyway, ofcoarse for a sale of that magnitude it would still have to go through the board...

Anyway that's my 2c.

Kev.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Thu, 20 October 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 13:56

But quite frankly, if this guy wants to make a kit for his own 1UZ and needed some information for it, I can't see why people can't help him out. Further, if he wanted information and wanted to help some people out with less manufacturing skills by putting up a cheap kit for it I can't see a problem with that either.. Even further if the information that he gets is IN THIS THREAD, what the hell is the problem? It means anyone can get the information that he gets, and if they want to make their own kit they can do it, but if they want to save themselves some money and buy a cheap kit of 84supra, what's the problem?

As always, The Simpsons demonstrates the error in logic displayed above.

Tony: Bart, um, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Hell, no!
Tony: Enjoy your gift.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Thu, 20 October 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course, should such a kit based on the collective Toymods community knowledge ever get under way, Fat Tony again leads the way with regard to what should happen to the profits.

Fat Tony: We are entitled to a percentage of your profits, somewhere in the area of 100%.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Thu, 20 October 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any situation in life that cannot be explained by a reference to The Simpsons?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ Manual on the way! Thu, 20 October 2005 06:39 Go to previous message
Quote:

Is there any situation in life that cannot be explained by a reference to The Simpsons?

Some turn to the Bible for answers, I turn to the Simpsons Very Happy

"What would Homer do?????????"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit?
Next Topic:TRC always on - Celsior
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 02:35:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005037784576416 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.