Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sevva
Newcomer

October 2005
1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 14:35 Go to next message
After getting sick of my huge and slow VT commodore I'm ready for a change and have been looking at getting a Starlet GT. However, it seems that they're basically imposible to find in SA so I'm looking at other options.

One that I've been thinking of is the Supra GT with the 1G-GTE engine in it. I've done a bit of searching but haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on it. All I really want to know is how reliable are these engines and the rest of teh car? and how much better can I expect the fuel consuption to be compared to my VT (v6 ecotec) ...if any? Oh and what are they like weight wise?

Thanks alot, I appolgise for the newb-like question!
  Send a private message to this user    
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youll regret the engine choice - ya ecotek would piss on it prob weights less to go for the 7m or 1jz supra
Sevva
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The specs I've found so far put the engines at similar power KW wise, and the VT weighs around 1650+ (its a berlina)... And I'm sure the Supra wouldn't be more than that in weight so they must be comparable power wise?

Anyway the main thing I want to know is the reliability of these engines and the fuel consumption?

The 1JZ sounds very nice but how much more would I expect to pay for a car with this engine? I've found a number of Supras with the 1G-GTE for around 8 grand.

Thanks
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe look into soarers if u like the look of em check out 'members rides'mz20 with 7m... i paid 5.9 stock with 7m - although u will find everyone hates 7mss.. by the way they chew the fuel
Sevva
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I don't want a soarer.

Any further info on the Supra and the reliability of the 1G would be appreciated.
cthulhu
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yahoo motorsport has some jza70s i think
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G's are quite reliable as long as you don't try overboosting them. Those mini-me turbos don't like being pushed too hard.

As for fuel economy, it's a fairly heavy car with a 2 litre engine so it's going to be on boost a lot of the time. Don't expect fuel economy to be very good.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Wed, 19 October 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 1G supra/soarer will be about as quick as your VT...wait for something 1JZ powered to pop up...or get something (i cant belive im saying this) 7M powered...
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the motor puts out 210 hp at the fly.
so comapre that with the commo.

I've only got the motor not the supra but im impressed with it either way
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a good engine. Reliable and fuel efficient. But remember, it's only a 2.0L engine trying to move a fat arse car. It's not going to work very well unless you're on boost all the time.

And because it'll be on boost a lot, the GA70 won't return very good fuel economy.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sevva wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 00:05

After getting sick of my huge and slow VT commodore I'm ready for a change and have been looking at getting a Starlet GT. However, it seems that they're basically imposible to find in SA so I'm looking at other options.

One that I've been thinking of is the Supra GT with the 1G-GTE engine in it. I've done a bit of searching but haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on it. All I really want to know is how reliable are these engines and the rest of teh car? and how much better can I expect the fuel consuption to be compared to my VT (v6 ecotec) ...if any? Oh and what are they like weight wise?

Thanks alot, I appolgise for the newb-like question!

It will be slow. And huge. And use fuel like it's going out of fashion because you have it on boost all the time to try and get it moving.

The naturally aspirated 7m-GE is probably faster off the line. But these seem to run bloody rich all the time as well and are all very long in the tooth now.

A jza70 Supra (2.5lt twin turbo) is probably the most fuel efficient variant of these cars.

It will be a hell of a departure from your original Starlet GT plans.
Sevva
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the 1JZ is the pick of the bunch, not only for power but reliability and fuel too? Cool, I'll have to try and find one around SA to test drive.

And I know it's completely different to the Starlet GT plans but if I can't find one to look at let alone buy then I guess that isn't going to be viable!

Thanks!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jz for the win!! Razz

As it's by far the most modern engine in the bunch, in factory trim the most powerful and certainly the most reliable you'd be mad not to get a 1jz powered one if you want a mk3 Supra (they are great cars). Only problem is that maunal ones can be hard to find.

A well-sorted 7m-gte would be fine as well - but you'd have to be sure it was well-built/maintained/headgasketed.

If you're thinking 1jz mk3 though, perhaps consider a Soarer as well?
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stealth007008 wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 00:39

youll regret the engine choice - ya ecotek would piss on it prob weights less to go for the 7m or 1jz supra

I'd love a dollar for every puss-bucket V6 Commodore i've blown off in my near stock GZ-20.

An MA supra weighs a good hundred and something kilos more than a GA.

7M-GEU 190 hp 179 lbFt
1G-GTEU 210 hp 203 lbFt

Don't let displacement fool you.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no doubt that once you stick the boot into it, the GA70 will boogey.
What we're saying is that in general driving, it'll suck. Off boost, it's a 2.0L trying to pull a 1.6-1.8 tonne (I forget how heavy they are) car.

And, seriously, who bothers trying to blow off V6 Dunnydoors? Laughing
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 20:34A

And, seriously, who bothers trying to blow off V6 Dunnydoors? Laughing

I do and it works out 90% of the time.

but i have a camry Smile
Sevva
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 20 October 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent, I'm on the search for a 1JZ powered Supra then. Thanks for all your help everyone.

And by the way, I called yahoo motorsport and they just sold the JZA70 Supra they had in stock so at the moment I don't know of any for sale in SA.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, JZA70 is your best bet.

The GA70 Supra is about 1450kg - 1500kg (a bit lighter than the 7M and 1JZ verieties, but not much). And as has been said, doesn't have much torque to pull that weight. a 1JZ-GTE has more torque by far, even though it only has 500cc extra. This is due mainly to the newer engine design. Although I wouldn't call a JZA70 economical once it's on boost. Keep it off boost or on low boost though and you'll find it's pretty good.

JZA70s are awesome. I was gonna buy one, but then got scared by the running costs. The Integra gets between 7.7ltrs and 11ltrs per 100kms (depending on how I drive). Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2005 00:21]

Sevva
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I never expected the Supra to be economical as such, just hoping it won't use more than my commodore (which uses around 13.5/100kms) with my driving.

But yeah, as I said just on the look for a JZA70 now!

Cheers!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sevva wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 10:33

Yeah, I never expected the Supra to be economical as such, just hoping it won't use more than my commodore (which uses around 13.5/100kms) with my driving.

But yeah, as I said just on the look for a JZA70 now!

Cheers!

JZA70 would need to be booted around pretty hard to get that kinda economy (assuming it was tuned properly, un-tuned cars can use crazy amounts of fuel) as far as I know anyway. But I don't actualy own a JZA70 so *shrug* I'm just going on what people with JZA70s tell me.

EDIT: OH! And booting a JZA70 around that hard will be WAY WAY faster than your crumpledoor.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2005 00:40]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 09:49

JZA70s are awesome. I was gonna buy one, but then got scared by the rear wheel drive, power, looks, comfort and being harassed by thousands of gorgeous women. So I got a ghey FWD purple Honda with a rainbow sticker on the back window.

Razz

To add some more valuable content to the thread you will probably have better luck finding one in WA - since there were a few workshops registered to comply them over there. It'll cost between $400 and $800 to ship it back to SA (or you could always drive it) Smile

Only trouble spots can be turbo seals (if it hasn't been treated right), water-pump gasket and front pulley.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2005 02:17]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My brothers JZA70 (stock engine, 3 inch exhaust, possibly a modified computer) Sees better fuel economy than my SS Ute in city driving. And the SS gets about 13.5lt/100km or 550Km per tank.

And the Supra isn't that much slower than the ute either.

His supra cost around 15K but you can get them around the 12 mark.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 10:49

Shraka wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 09:49

JZA70s are awesome. I was gonna buy one, but then got scared by the rear wheel drive, power, looks, comfort and being harassed by thousands of gorgeous women. So I got a ghey FWD purple Honda with a rainbow sticker on the back window.

Razz

Man, I already get harassed by thousands of gorgeous women! If I got a Supra I'd drown in them! I had to do SOMETHING to ward them off, and the DC2 does that well. Wink

Yeah, I'm starting to get annoyed at my FWD gheyness.
But who need comfort when you have...

VTEC YO!
Laughing

Lambolica wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 11:55

My brothers JZA70 (stock engine, 3 inch exhaust, possibly a modified computer) Sees better fuel economy than my SS Ute in city driving. And the SS gets about 13.5lt/100km or 550Km per tank.

With those mods his Supra shouldn't be any slower than your SS Ute. Perhaps he needs a tune up or new turbos?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

With those mods his Supra shouldn't be any slower than your SS Ute. Perhaps he needs a tune up or new turbos?[/quote]
Hiss SS ute was up for sale and if i remember correctly had a HDT package on it puching round 300-320kw at the flywheel. Wink
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 14:40

With those mods his Supra shouldn't be any slower than your SS Ute. Perhaps he needs a tune up or new turbos?

Hiss SS ute was up for sale and if i remember correctly had a HDT package on it puching round 300-320kw at the flywheel. Wink [/quote]
Oh... okay then.
So his bro's supra DEFINATLY needs new turbos... and a boost controller. Then it'll be faster. Razz
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Fri, 21 October 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, The Ute is mine and is was Dynoed at 229rwkw. (still for sale BTW $29500 Very Happy )

My brothers JZA70 was dynoed at 174rwkw and this was just after the conversion was done (ie like 20k's after it was done.) I had the Supra for a few weeks while he was O/S and it got some long distance driving love and blew out some of the cobwebs and there is definatly more power there now.

We had a run against each other he jumped me by about 1/2 a car length and then left another 1/2 in 2nd on boost. and I was clawing back in the ute in the top end of second and through 3rd.

Looking forward to running again with both cars on fresh rubber and both serviced, tuned. Me thinks it will come down to who misses third Razz

P.S sombody buy my ute so I can single turbo the 1G and reclaim the title of "Fastest car in the Family" Smile
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Sun, 23 October 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I have ownded a JZA70 R, I now want her back. I will buy one again, I got 420km to the tank, it only had cat-back exhaust and a pod and ran 208.1RWHP on the dyno. JZA70's run stupidly rich from the factory. Mine ran a 9:1 AFR, to get better economy it will need a tune.
avieec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Sun, 23 October 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this post is from experience, my previous car was 6 cyc VT series 1 wagon with the normal mods (exhaust, sparkies, induction, mags..) I then got my current car MA70 88 7M-GE supra with the same mods apart from a few suspension mods.

For starters the (stock) supra SHITS all over the vt in handling, and not to mention it also has the LSD.

Then the power also shits all over it. For a car that is 10 years older it smoked my vt in nearly every aspect apart from interior room and fuel consumption. Im getting about 450kms out of a tank (50L) of normal driving.

also an ma70/jza70 supra would have heaps more tourqe than a ga or gt as far as im aware

eviltwins
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: 1G-GTE powered 1989 Supra? Thu, 27 October 2005 00:04 Go to previous message
i have an 87 supra with a 1g here in the states one of my turbos is burned out know but as far as it being slow or boosting all the time mine doesn't and didnt before my turbo burned out but i think they are good engines and as far as racing the 7m guys the na are a joke they get left in the dust easy the gte is a little harder race but you can beat them. and here in the states these damn v8 camaro's think they are the crap but i can bust them every time my car is basically stock i dont even know where to get parts for mine but im looking any info? they are heavy but the engine does run well especially for it to be 2.0 but if i had the money i would have bought a 1jz but i got mine for 900 us dollars.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MX83 Suspension Problem - Please Help
Next Topic:Everyone im coming out of the closet.... i jsut bought a corona
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:28:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064899921417236 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.