Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon5.gif  4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 05:01 Go to next message
I've had a look around, and I was wondering if there were any _alternatives_ to the dellow kit, for mounting a W58 on a 4A.

The concensus seems to be that Dellows products usually suck, and as much as I like blow ...

Was going to run the T50 or W50s I already have behind the GZE in the datto, but I've already decided on a (ever so slightly) heavier diff, so I might as well put a decent box in there too.

I'm in BNE, and I hear Direct Clutch Services can hook me up with a clutch, I've used them for other matters before too.

Any help appreciated, Theres was hundreds of W5x boxes sitting at BMI last time i checked, so I'm picking a few up next week.

TIA

Esteban
  Send a private message to this user    
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have a few options:

A company called Niteparts in NZ sells an adaptor bell housing.

A guy who goes by the name of AZA510 on the www.twincam.org forums sells an adaptor plate to mate the two.

Another guy on www.club4ag.com sells an adaptor bell hosuing - search under the "parts for sale" section of that website's forums.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esteban wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 13:01

Was going to run the T50 or W50s I already have behind the GZE in the datto, but I've already decided on a (ever so slightly) heavier diff, so I might as well put a decent box in there too.

If you already have a W50 behind the 4agze, leave it.
You won't break a W50 with a 4agze.

And you know there is a huge difference between the W50, and the W55/57/58?
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I do know the differences. Well at least I did at some stage, I seem to have misplaced the file I had all my notes in.

And Hey! I'm a toyota fan, So I'm used to over-engineering in cars! I doesnt have to be weak for me to want to improve it ...

I'd be happy to put the smaller box in there (the tranny hole lines up perfectly) but I want the chassis/diff/brakes/struts all done painted and finished before I start playing with the powerfactor too much. The GZE wont stay standard, and if I go to a 3S or something down the track, there is a better chance I can use the existing w58 gearbox, shaft and mounts.

Damn, I searched for 4AGE not 4AG and didnt pick up that other thread, sorry.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For that matter, as many less than favourable words as I HAVE said about the Dellhousing, it can be made to work, and has the convenience of letting you put the starter on the intake side if you want to. So long as you address a few, er, little issues with the damned thing before you use it...
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esteban, check your PM dude.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just emailed Brendan @ niteparts today - NZ$790.00

man it steep, but its the only good one on the market.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 21:13

i just emailed Brendan @ niteparts today - NZ$790.00

man it steep, but its the only good one on the market.

I also bring them in from Malaysia.
Not all that often though.
Somewhere between Aus$350 and $390 odd, depending on the exchange rate.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 25 November 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill,

is that from Rhett? I saw the one Jason P has and it looks "interesting" to say the least Smile

Do you know what fly/fork/starter/slave is used on the ones you bring in?
AE86T
Forums Junkie

Forums sponsor

August 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Mon, 06 December 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bill,

I have emailed you as well,
I am chasing one of those bellhousings to run a w58 gearbox onto my ae86 4agze. When can you get hold of one for me and what are we looking at to land on here Perth. Also what else do i need to modify to get the w58 into the ae86? Any help much appreciated. I already have my w58 here awaiting to go in. Do you have any on stock?

Thanks

Wei
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Mon, 06 December 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 26 November 2004 09:43

Bill,

is that from Rhett? I saw the one Jason P has and it looks "interesting" to say the least Smile

Do you know what fly/fork/starter/slave is used on the ones you bring in?

No, it's from Malaysia.
I don't know what forks, etc, they use sorry.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Mon, 06 December 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86T wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 23:43

Hi Bill,

I have emailed you as well,
I am chasing one of those bellhousings to run a w58 gearbox onto my ae86 4agze. When can you get hold of one for me and what are we looking at to land on here Perth. Also what else do i need to modify to get the w58 into the ae86? Any help much appreciated. I already have my w58 here awaiting to go in. Do you have any on stock?

Thanks

Wei

I'll get to your email in he next few days. Wink
It has to come from Malaysia, so it takes as long as it takes.
AE86T
Forums Junkie

Forums sponsor

August 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Mon, 06 December 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bill,

I have cash awaiting to get hold of one of these so let me know when you can get one in for me.

Cheers

Wei
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Mon, 06 December 2004 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esteban wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 15:01

Theres was hundreds of W5x boxes sitting at BMI last time i checked, so I'm picking a few up next week.

TIA

Esteban

What/where is BMI?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Mon, 06 December 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brisbane Motor Imports.

Here's the bellhousing I got from Rhett in the Philippines, it was $230US shipped to my door.

http://www.rollamods.com/tech/housing1.jpg
http://www.rollamods.com/tech/housing2.jpg
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Tue, 07 December 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Here's the bellhousing I got from Rhett in the Philippines, it was $230US shipped to my door

That looks exactly like the ones I bought from Steve in adelaide, except the "ALKAST" writing has been ground off yours.

Did you have issues fitting the starter motor?

Phil
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon2.gif  Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Wed, 15 December 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I Swear Post Notification isnt working for me anymore ... or am I always logged in Smile

Thanx for the replies! Ok since my last post...

Ive decided that I'm really looking for a bellhousing solution, not an adaptor plate solution (regards the spigot length etc)

Tried http://www.niteparts.co.nz/ which seems to be dead. Emailed brendan, no reply yet. Has only posted once to toymods so ... hmmm

Ive have however received an email from AZA510 (leekun) from the twincam.org forums which was very informative. The pictures he sent me are were going to be hosted but ive forgotten my passwd and im not home till chrsitmas, so sorry

here is a snippet of what leekun had to say:
</QUOTE>
...Thanks for let me know you are from Queensland, Australia. I never ship the bell housing to Australia before. But I have a customer from Australia who had buy 8pcs 4A-G W bell housing from me (2003 3pcs and 2004 Oct 4pcs). Some time he comes over to Malaysia so I pass the bell housing to him instead of sending to Australia. So far he is quite satisfied with the bell housings that we had supplied to him.

The price for the bell housing is 300USD/pc but not include the courier fee. The courier fee (EMS) for send over the bell housing (4.5kgs include packing box) is 50USD. So the total price is 350USD/pc included the courier fee for send over the bell housing to Australia. The EMS courier will take about 3 or 4 working days for delivery the bell housing to your door. Currently I'm out of stock for this bell housing and it will be ready by middle of next month.

The 4A-G W bell housing we make can not fit the 4A-GZE clutch from AE101 (225mm). The most suitable one is the 212mm clutch set from the red top or 20V 4A-GE. Customer needs to port the bell housing a bit and also grind the clutch cover if use the 4A-GZE clutch set....
</QUOTE>

Is that bilzilla he is talking about on the first paragraph?

Anyway, the bellhousings look ok. This looks like a good option, if a little expensive

I didnt get onto Rhett, but jasonp1977 obviously has. leekuns look of better casting quality, but I'm still leaving this as an option as I dont know how much leekun's will cost in total

Haven't called Dellows yet coz i work too hard ... ok I've been putting it off...

At current exchange rates (1 AUD = 0.757520 USD), Rhetts is $AUD 330.024 delivered and Leekuns would be at least $AUD 396.037.

Bill can you shed any more light on the cost/timeframe of your option, and if indeed we are talking about the same supplier? I probably want two, maybe I should organise a group buy? Smile
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Wed, 15 December 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not that ive know for a fact, but ive read on here castlemaine rod shop do one aswell. they have a site.
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon9.gif  Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Wed, 15 December 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok my email bounced to ... Bren dan At nite parts.c o.nz Sad

Castlemaine rodshop: http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm Dont think what we need matches anything there, I'll email them tomorrow and find out for sure.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Wed, 15 December 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A friend has tried Castlemaine and the story was "No we don't have one off the shelf, but if you give us the stuff we'll see what we can work out"

May be worth a call yourself to see if the situation has changed.

Also you could consider a custom cut and shut job. Meld a T50 and W58 bellhousing into one (with the leftovers you may even be able to make a 2JZGE to T50 bellhousing too... hehehe). Aligning it all would be a bitch though.

Hen
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon7.gif  Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Wed, 12 January 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to drag up my old thread, I was planning on doing so sooner, but, what a month it's been!

Bill I'll take two if you are heading to malaysia (assuming it's still there) anytime soon. Can I pay you for your time?

TIA
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 13 January 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, no probs.
I'll bring back a few if I can then.
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 13 January 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That'd be excellent. Are there any monies/arrangements we need to make from this end, to make things easier for you? if so, please email me, and I will get back to those others in the above posts who were interested as well.

TIA
irishtwincam
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Fri, 14 January 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86/tech/4A-G_W_bel_hou sing/
purple_people_eater_1
Regular

June 2003
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Fri, 14 January 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We are currently organising a group buy for this type of belhousing however it is not a dellows or nite parts and will bolt up without any hassel check out:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?rid=3001&am p;S=b4f0806bbf8f5bcce9269babc204e1a8&t=msg& ;th=56576&pl_view=&start=0

The price will be $450 plus $20 postage if we get 5 people interested, however it will be naturally cheaper the more buyers we have.

Thanks Kieran

[Updated on: Sat, 15 January 2005 07:07]

syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Sat, 15 January 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irishtwincam are you dan turners brother?
EE90-4AGE
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Sat, 15 January 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To get hold of Brendan at Nite Parts, try giving him a PM on www.toyspeed.org.nz.

He goes under Niteb.

Cheers
Shay
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havnt seen him on toyspeed for a looong time
ill be calling him on monday, how many ppl are SERIOUS about getting one? im trying to swing a deal with him to supply some to a kit car builder. he discounts them depending on numbers. so if enough ppl are keen it could be worth looking into
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Tue, 11 October 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this is an old thread, but for those people that can actually use the SEARCH function, this information is for you

Bill sherwood of billzilla.org is importing the bellhousings i mentioned in my previous posts. To contact him, send a PM to Bill Sherwood on these forums. Price is around $400 i gather
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Tue, 11 October 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I can get very good bell housings, but it can take quite a while to get them into the country.
I'm working a lot less than I used to, and I don't get to KL as often as I used to, so it's a lot harder to get a hold of them.
It'll happen, just not quickly.
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Tue, 11 October 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill, approximately how long would it take you to get one into the country?

Cheers
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Wed, 12 October 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know at the moment.
I'm hoping the company will send me back to Kuala Lumpur next month. If they don't then it'll be next year.

Sorry guys, but this is all I can do without it costing a lot more with shipping & import duty and so on.
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 20 October 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure why you guys have had problem sending to Brendan. Although that was 2 years ago.

His email: brendan@niteparts.co.nz

Everyone in NZ that has any serious power 4age or is hard on boxes runs his bellhousings.
I've personally been using them for a couple of years now.

Reasons:
1) They are a full bellhousing, not an adaptor plate.
2) They fit 225mm ZE clutch which holds 150kw at wheels no prob. I have even fitted ae101 ZE ~230mm clutch in one.
3) They are ribbed, and even though I dropped mine with gearbox attached from 2metres, it didn't break. It dented one of the ribs, but this was easily sorted.
4) They sit the input shaft in the spigot.
5) Clutch is on factory intake side. Use AE86 (JDM) slave
6) Starter is on factory exhaust side.
7) Pricing is good, japanese equivalent is $1500+ (I priced long time ago).
Cool I have had 5 of these to date, and have done a lot of miles on them, competed successfully in a lot of D1 NZ events with no gearbox problems, unlike others running T50's.
9) They look like factory, just super clean, so if your gearbox mount and dshaft are well done then it looks like a factory conversion.

I recommend these, and everyone in our team runs them too.

I know at one stage a group buy was organized with Brendan, but I think that has passed now.

No disrespect to Bill, not sure what his is.

But with Rhett's I'm personally a bit sketched out by a non-ribbed bellhousing with clutch on intake side, and grinded down markings?!?!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 20 October 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 17:37

I don't know at the moment.
I'm hoping the company will send me back to Kuala Lumpur next month. If they don't then it'll be next year.

Sorry guys, but this is all I can do without it costing a lot more with shipping & import duty and so on.

Bill, do you have any pics floating around? i'm looking for one for long term Wink
Cya, Stewart
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit? Thu, 20 October 2005 06:53 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 16:23

Bill, do you have any pics floating around? i'm looking for one for long term Wink
Cya, Stewart

None one me, maybe ask one of the guys that's bought one off me. There's about 15 of them out there I think.
They look just like a regular bell housing, when viewed from any distance, it's hard to see where it's been modified.
I've got four sitting in KL right now but I can't get to them!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 Jerking
Next Topic:1UZ Manual on the way!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:15:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071020126342773 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.