Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 03:55 Go to next message
I just bort a ke20 on the weekend, its a 1973, with a 3k in it with a 5 speed behind it and it came with a 5k in bits.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8287/ke205wo.jpg

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5633/ke2018ep.jpg

what i want to know is what upgrades people do to them, now i dont want to spend heaps and heaps of money on it like turning it in to a show car or a race car.

i want to know upgrades like the brakes(but i want to keep the old stud patern) engines, gearboxs, diff, interior, exterior and stuff like that Very Happy

the car was originally an auto so will that change any thing, is the diff different.

with the engine i want to stay with the carbys for now so i can do most of the work my self. should i use the 5k and work that? i was thinging of using the 5k block with a 3k BP head (big port).

with the 5k block it has a 4k crank Confused why would it have it? and one queation with the 3k BP head are the ports the only difference? and want are the sizes of them?

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I HAVE SAID.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 11:35]

Send a private message to this user    
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd just like to say "YOU MOTHER FUCKER" Shocked

That's a god damn winner, I want i want i want

Take care of the angel and dont make any rash decision's

Using 4k crank in 5k block, its basically up'd the displacment a little, 5k is 1100cc, 4k is 1300cc(i'm pretty sure) Confused
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

5k is 1100cc

5K is ~1500cc
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know a 4k is a 1300 but i thought that the 5k was a 1500 Smile so what would the 4k crank do

Dont worry about the car i will take really good care of it Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 04:23]

myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always had a soft spot for that shape.
I secretly wish toyota would re-make it, still in RWD with the 1.3 from the starlet/echo in it. Something like a 3age Wink
Imagine that shape with a more modern interior, better suspension design, better economy, better power, etc with a warranty and ~10000$AU (un-optioned).
I swear they'd sell like hotcakes to everyone from grandma's to ricers.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sound like a plan Smile or we could hand make them with all the good shit Laughing
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do this to it

http://www.qldstreetcar.com/forum/uploads/post-2-11294590588.jpg

13BT on NOS
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beige_bandit wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 14:08

Using 4k crank in 5k block, its basically up'd the displacment a little, 5k is 1100cc, 4k is 1300cc(i'm pretty sure) Confused

where the fuck did you pull that bullshit from?

please do not post like this in future.
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry i stand INCORRECT Embarassed
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

where the fuck did you pull that bullshit from?

please do not post in the tech section in future.

Fiksed Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 13:55

I just BOUGHT a ke20 on the weekend, its a 1973, with a 3k in it with a 5 speed behind it and it came with a 5k in bits.

what i want to know is what upgrades people do to them, now i dont want to spend heaps and heaps of money on it like turning it in to a show car or a race car.

i want to know upgrades like the brakes(but i want to keep the old stud patern) engines, gearboxs, diff, interior, exterior and stuff like that Very Happy

the car was originally an auto so will that change any thing, is the diff different.

with the engine i want to stay with the carbys for now so i can do most of the work my self. should i use the 5k and work that? i was thinging of using the 5k block with a 3k BP head (big port).

with the 5k block it has a 4k crank Confused why would it have it? and one queation with the 3k BP head are the ports the only difference? and want are the sizes of them?

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDER STAND IT.

you mean put stands under it? Confused

please search for relevant upgrades, we have beeen collectively posting about it for years. also look for "toms corolla page" for TE27 info.

brakes, 10% larger, KE30/KE70 disc and caliper. search.

check if the diff is different Razz borg warner or banjo diff? spin the wheeels and count the ratio.

5K yes, 3K bigport head no. unless you rebuild 5K with flat top pistons (it has dished pistons originally)

5K block DOES HAVE 4K crank. it is even stamped as such.
4K = 1300 = 75mm bore, 73mm stroke
5K = 1500 = 80.5mm bore, 73mm stroke
7K = 1800 = 80.5mm bore, 87.5mm stroke???

3K BP. intake ports only. and they have the fucked valve retainer setup (cannot run much more lift) and o-ring. ie double groove valves.

Cya, Stewart
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right , i wont post here anymore Laughing

Hurricane, nice fucking wheel's man, hope your life together
is absolute bliss Wink

Ke382Tg, you can derelict my balls Laughing

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the help. i did try searching for the stuff i was looking for but found nothing of real help.

just one other question, i was thinking, rather than doing work to the 5k i was thinking of putting something like a 2TG in it. anyone no if it is hard to do.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 21:58

thanks for the help. i did try searching for the stuff i was looking for but found nothing of real help.

just one other question, i was thinking, rather than doing work to the 5k i was thinking of putting something like a 2TG in it. anyone no if it is hard to do.

2TG = TE27..
simlarr to Jonny from tassie's mod from KE3X to TE3X.

2TG is better than 5K for sure.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Thu, 20 October 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks Smile
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Fri, 21 October 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i would go a 2tg. and what size tires has that got the look huge!
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Fri, 21 October 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the tyres on it are 215/50/13. ive a so go a 310/60/13 but it does not even come close to fitting in.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Fri, 21 October 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might want to hink about going down in size to 185's

how wide are the rims? the tyres look awfully funny with the sidewalls pointing in Sad
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sat, 22 October 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rims are 6.5 wide, and the tyres dont really point in that mutch, i think it is just how it looks in the picture.

i was thinking of changeing the tyre size to 205/55/13 and then putting the 215s on my TA22 cos it has 7 inch wide steel rims.

bye the may does anyone know if you can get 13 inch steel rims that have the same PCD as a KE20.

one other thing i think i have a 3k BP head but it has the same valve retainer setup as the 5K, it also has smaller exhaust port than the 5K. Im pritty shore that it is a 3k BP head because it has a bigger inlet manifold also.

what is the bore and stroke of the 3K.

and has any one put a carby off a datsun 200b on to a 3k inlet manifold, i found out it fits straght on.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 00:16]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sat, 22 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 10:02

the rims are 6.5 wide, and the tyres dont really point in that mutch, i think it is just how it looks in the picture.

i was thinking of changeing the tyre size to 205/55/13 and then putting the 215s on my TA22 cos it has 7 inch wide steel rims.

bye the may does anyone know if you can get 13 inch steel rims that have the same PCD as a KE20.

one other thing i think i have a 3k BP head but it has the same valve retainer setup as the 5K, it also has smaller exhaust port than the 5K. Im pritty shore that it is a 3k BP head because it has a bigger inlet manifold also.

what is the bore and stroke of the 3K.

and has any one put a carby off a datsun 200b on to a 3k inlet manifold, i found out it fits straght on.

ahh k. maybe just tyre design... if i were you (but i'm not), i would get the stickiest tyres i could afford in a 185 size.. the car is just not heavy enough to use the wider tyres and you will sometimes lose grip... for example, my current car weighs almost TWICE a KE20.. but only has 215 tyres!!!! and it grips very well.

185/55 or 185/60.. whaever matches the original tyres size (althought that may not work.) also remember there are 3 different speedo gearings, 5/19 (ke10), 6/20 (ke20/30?)and 6/21 (KE70) so you can adjust speedo or different diff and tyres

stel 13" = mazda 808 or similar. i had them on the KE15. they may only be a 5 or 5.5" rim tho. many early mazdas have same PCD, but offset of RX7 is a little much i think..

3K BP has a welch plug at back of head and 30mm diameter intake ports. 5K may well have larger intake and exhaust, i have not played with them myself. a friend opened his intakes to bigger than 30mm on his 5K tho. but afaik, the valves are still same size soo.... maybe they are the limiting factor.

can you take pics of both valve setups? and of ports with a ruler next to them.. and of th rear of the head (plate/welch plug)

75x67? check matti's site

what are the choke sizes of the datto carbs? what are the butterfly sizes?
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sat, 22 October 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks for the info. i pritty shore that the 3k head had the welch plug at the end.

ill take the pics and get the sizes for you and post them up tomorrow.

oh were do i find matti's site what is it called Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sat, 22 October 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
google for "automotive main page mainly toyota" Wink
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sat, 22 October 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that car is pure sex.. lower it a little and look even better, as for engines and stuff i dunno anything about the older engines so i wont even try Very Happy
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sat, 22 October 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sex on wheels Laughing Laughing

yeah im defantlly going to lower it a bit, mabe 1 1/2 or 2 inchs. what do you think, how low Very Happy

what upgrades do you think would go good for the interior, it already has mazda 929 seats and plush door cards. the dash is a bit cracked so that will be replaced, apart from that its all stock inside.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2005 04:48]

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sun, 23 October 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, ive got the pics of the head and stuff.

The top is the 3K and the bottom is the 5K, the 5k seems to have some of the chamber takin out. So the 3k head will run a higher compresstion Smile

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/766/a3fz.jpg

hear is the ports.

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/669/b1yg.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/9623/c1rj.jpg

the left is 3K.

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/5314/d3pf.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/3438/e6ep.jpg

Bost the valve set ups were the same, the first is the 5K.

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/8500/f8qg.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/1246/g0du.jpg

Hear is the 3K ports.

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/8822/h2bx.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/1131/i7os.jpg

ILL POST THE DATSUN STUFF UP LATER.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2005 05:05]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sun, 23 October 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first, your 3K head doesn't have 3K bigport valves.

second, a 5K has a smaller combustion chamber than a 3K.
3K is around 33mls and 5K around 16mls.

it might be that the 5K head is actually a 4K head with porting done?

measure the combustion chamber volumes and that will tell you quite a lot.

4K and 5K dished piston motors have the same combustion chamber, just different piston dish.

does the 5K have dished pistons atm?

the "5K" head also loks to have been shaved, by looking at the screwdriver slots for lifting it from the block....

methinks the 5K head is a 4K head that has been ported.
mealsothinks the 3K head has been converted to use either normal 3K or 4K valves....

methinks your next step is to measure the combustion chamber vlume (accurate to minimum of 1ml ) and then we go from there.

oh, and check if 5K pistons are dished.
Cya, Stewart
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sun, 23 October 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless of course the 3K head is actually a K head Wink in which case it will have combustion chamber volume of around 30 mls
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sun, 23 October 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the 3k BP head what are the differ between the valves, are thay bigger?

the ports on both heads look like there ports were cast to the size not gringed? i will clean both heads right up and see.

with messuring the chamber do i just use a syringe?

the 5K pistion are dished, do you want pics.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sun, 23 October 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the pictures i posted recently in another thread, the 3K bigports have two grooves at the top, a different shape retainer, and an o-ring.

the valve diameters are the same from K thru 5K afaik.

nope, if you have 5K dished pistons, you need a head to match, since the 5K combustion chamber is abotu HALF the volume of the other heads Wink

umm.. syringe is not really accurate enough, but should be enough to tell you if it is closer to 16 or 30mls perhaps..
start with that.
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Sun, 23 October 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so with the 3k head do you think it is a 3k head with the valve set-up changed?
is that good or bad if it has been changed?

also one other thing, with the 3k head the inlet maniflod is bigger also.

with is datto carby the choke size is/

choke size/ventury
Primary= 24mm
Secondary= 30mm

butterflys
Primary= 30mm
Secondary= 34mm

hear are some pics the first is how mutch need to be takin out the match the butter flyes and the second is the datto carby on the 5k/4k inlet mani.

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/9954/l1id.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/4007/n9zd.jpg

ive got more pics if you need.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 09:15

so with the 3k head do you think it is a 3k head with the valve set-up changed?
is that good or bad if it has been changed?

also one other thing, with the 3k head the inlet maniflod is bigger also.

with is datto carby the choke size is/

choke size/ventury
Primary= 24mm
Secondary= 30mm

butterflys
Primary= 30mm
Secondary= 34mm

hear are some pics the first is how mutch need to be takin out the match the butter flyes and the second is the datto carby on the 5k/4k inlet mani.

good that valves are changed. measn you can run much more lift.

the exit of the manifold is bigger... but does that continue up the runner to the plenum below the carb? all of my manifolds close down after a couple of inches.. although that 5K manifold looks a little bigger.... wanna measure inside and se what it restricts to?

sound slike it should be a good carb! the webber i have is 34/34, 24/27....
whereas the famous 32/36 has 26/27 chokes.. too big

the datto carb sounds like it is sized well.. give it a try Very Happy

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the manilfold size the 3k it is bigger than the 5k one at the head end. or are you talking out the carrby end on the 5k one being bigger Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 01:55]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just measure the height and width of the manifold runners in as far as you can... (trick, get wire, bend to a Tee shape, then push in and see how far it goes in...)
NZKE25
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 16:55

I just bort a ke20 on the weekend, its a 1973, with a 3k in it with a 5 speed behind it and it came with a 5k in bits.

D A M M thats tidy Shocked Very nice purchase indeed Wink

This may help with ideas for your upgrades, the list of MODS is for a KE25 I own, currently has a blue top 4AGE in it however this is about to be replaced with a 4AGZE with a front mount.

Rebuilt RWD 4age with slightly raised compression, oversize pistons with new bearings/rings approx 5,000km ago
4-2-1 extractors to about 2¼ mandrel bent exhaust.
Aftermarket cams
Polished cam covers
Polished oil/air separator
new clutch about 30,000km ago
T50 gearbox
Hilux drive shaft
Celica diff
Front and rear sway bars
Adjustable height coilovers front
Stiffened springs and shocks with lowering blocks rear
Strut brace front
Cressida ventilated breaks front
14” minilite mags with 195/60/14 tyres
Oil temp, oil level and voltage gauges built into dash

Pics of engine bay etc can be found here
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?start=0 &selected=1340121

And like yourself I hope to pick up a bit of info from here too Wink Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 04:13]

hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i must say your car dosnt look to bad ether Very Happy so what does it cost to put a 4AGE into one?

with the brakes and the diff what PCD are you using?

will cressida brakes fit into my 13inch rims?

did the diff have to be cut down?
NZKE25
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Very Happy

I havent done the work myself just in the right place at the right time Wink

However I can tell you that the diff dose not appear to have been modified in anyway, the griveshaft was shortened and re-balanced.

Not sure on the PCD but can find out and let you know if you like.

Fitting 13inch rims over the cressida brakes might be a bit of a tight fit judging by the room left on mine running the 14inch minilites.

On the cost front to get a 4AGE in, well I guess it all depends on who dose the work and what you can pick the parts up for really.

you would need, engine, loom, mounts, gearbox (T50) & bellhousing, you could stay with a manual box that sits behind a 5K etc however it wouldnt last that long and you'd be sick of rebuilding it everytime it let go.

Scan the parts for sale etc and you'll get a rough idea on cost of parts, there is a saying when upgrading engine's that once you have your budget, double it and you'll still need a bit more Wink
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZKE25 ill see what i can find, and ill messure the diff in the TA22 in see what the size is compaired to the KE20.

oldcorollas I got the sizes,

Top were carby goes is , 28mm for both

Inlet Maniflod Runners, Width= 31mm, Hight= 33mm and it tappers back to 29mm all the way to below carby.

Top were carbys goes, 32mm and 28mm.

Inlet Maniflod Runners, Width= 29mm, Hight= 27mm and it goes to 27mm all the way back to below carby.

IVE MARKED ON THE PICS WERE THE 3K TAPPERS BACK TO THE SMALLER SIZE.

IVE ALSO CLEANED UP THE 3K AND 5K HEADS, IT LOOKS LIKE THE PORT WERE ALL CAST TO SIZE NOT GRINDED TO THE SIZE. IT IS THE SAME WITH THE INLET RUNNERS AS WELL.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/4051/dd5ng.jpg

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/5303/sertsgg5kr.jpg

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/3923/gxxders8jp.jpg

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/8058/ast5ae32oi.jpg
NZKE25
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before owning my current KE25 I did briefly own another which was runing the following

5K Block
Stage 3 CAM
3K Head, ported & polished with double over sized valve springs
Twin 45mm Webber Sidedrafts
Extractors

It was estimated at a compression ratio of roughly 11/12 - 1 was a very quick car for the above setup and one of the great benefits of this type of setup over say a 4AGE etc is its simplicity, sure it sucked a heap of gas but if anything was to ever break on a setup like this its realitively cheap in comppared to that of a 4AGE setup to replace/repair.

So it all comes down to power wanted V's $$'s available, tis a fine line we walk and normally we fall over the $$'s side more than often
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what pistions were you running in the 5k block, because i was told that you couldnt run the 3k heads with the 5k pition because there were dished, or where you running flat top pistions Confused

and i know what you mean about it been cheaper, thats y i want to stick with running a carby (or two). at the moment i might make some thing out of the 5k and the 3k, and then i would like to put some thing like a 2TG in to it.
NZKE25
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Mon, 24 October 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other KE25 to start with it was running a 3K block with the 3K head (modified) and was running like a piece of chite, ran a compression test and found it had dropped number 4, found a 5K block off the back of a truck Wink and did a straight swap, the only thing swapped over internally from the 3K to the 5K was the CAM, everything else was stock.

I don’t have digital pics of the engine swap from the 3K to the 5K as it was a few years ago, however off the top of my head the pistons in the 5K were the dished type. I’ll have a hunt around as I do have pics of the swap somewhere that I can scan if I can find them.

Having the twin Webbers on was a bit of a mission to set-up and then adjust however were much worth the effort, took a number of people by surprise off the line Wink
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Tue, 25 October 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do you recon if i put the 3k head onto the 5k block and didnt change the pitions over would it still run ok?

i was told that the 3k heads and the 5k heads had different combustion chamber sizes, the 5k one i think were smaller.

OLDCAROLLS said something below, take a look Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 22:36]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Tue, 25 October 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3K combustion chamber = 33mls
5K dish = 16/17mls (lets say 17)
head gasket = approx 3 mls
total = 53mls

5K = 1500/4 = 375mls

total swept = 375 + 53 = 428mls

428/53 = 8.08

maybe not so bad,, but it certainly is not good Sad

most ppl just assume that all the pistons are the same and that 3K will increase CR..

now if you had flat top pistons, you would get 11.4:1 but not if you have dished pistons Wink
NZKE25
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Tue, 25 October 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 00:56

so do you recon if i put the 3k head onto the 5k block and didnt change the pitions over would it still run ok?

i was told that the 3k heads and the 5k heads had different combustion chamber sizes, the 5k one i think were smaller.

OLDCAROLLS said something below, hace a look Wink

the 5K block we upgraded to came straight out of a liteace van and was thrown straight in to the KE25, with the change over of the CAM and the head. I am pretty sure I know where the pics of the engine swap are and they should confirm flat or dished type pistons, this was done a few years ago now so the exact details are a litte blury at the mo Confused
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Tue, 25 October 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i gess shaving the head wouldnt really do mutch to bring the Comprestion ratio up then Confused do you think i sould just get some flat top pistions, or get a 5k head?
NZKE25
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Tue, 25 October 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurricane wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 11:34

so i gess shaving the head wouldnt really do mutch to bring the Comprestion ratio up then Confused do you think i sould just get some flat top pistions, or get a 5k head?

The 3K head we used on the 5K block had a fair bit of weight reduction done to it before it landed on my lap and with using a standard gasket set it was estimated at 11/12 - 1 compression ratio by a mate of mine who has been around this stuff all his life.

If I had to rebuild this again then I would go the 5K block, 3K head ported & polished with the oversized valve springs and the Webber side drafts, proved to be a very tidy little set up and kept quite a few honest too Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Wed, 26 October 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
every mm of head shaved off = 4.5mls of combustion chamber volume.

you would need to shave a MINIMUM of about 3.8-4mm off the head to get the compression back up to 11:1
i had a head that had 3mm taken off..... i would be welding up the water jacket holes at that time Wink (as per the TOSCO manual and the 1300 racing guys)

for my head i took off 1.2mm, but i also removed a fair bit of combustion chamber as well.. deshrouding and such.. (pics on my page)

if you pretend the pistons aren't dished, you do get 11.4:1, but you MUST take into account the combustion chamber volume.

is just a matter of volumes...

I'd be keen to see your piccies Smile (just cos Razz) and also to see if pistons are flat... not saying your mate was wrong.. just it doesn't add up to what i know.. but i am always keen to learn Very Happy
hurricane
Regular

August 2005
Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Wed, 26 October 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i think im getting a bit confused Confused

if i got the 5k block put it back together using all the stock stuff, mabe get a mild cam for it and got 1mm shaved off the 3k head and put it onto the 5k block do you think it would be ok.

or do you think i should just try and get a 5k head and just use it?

OH, if i was to get a cam what sort should i get. I dont want to change any thing else though, like Valve springs and stuff.

Where is your pape?

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 12:37]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: UPGRADES FOR THE MIGHTY KE20 Wed, 26 October 2005 13:10 Go to previous message
i think you had bettr measure the combustion chamber volumes of the heads you do have.. maybe you have two 5K heads there Wink

the only way to work out how much to take off the head is to measure the combustion chamber volume.

well... if you don't want to change valve springs... then you are limited to maybe 6500-7000rpm.

if you go higher lift, you should shave down rocker posts, although i am not sure how that work with the hydraulic lifters..

you should also check that reducing base circle of cam will not affect lifters..

i would usually suggets more lift and then choose a duration to suit, but if you don't want to change anything else, it kinda limits things..

there should be no confusion.
measure the volume of the dish in the piston.
measure the volume of the combustion chambers.
add the volume of the head gasket (typically 0.8mm thick)
work otu compression ratio.

longer overlap cam requires more compression etc etc
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Exhaust air injection system on a 22re
Next Topic:Air Con In AE92 Converted to 4AGZE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 03:23:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009598970413208 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.