Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » cressy quality?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
cressy quality? Wed, 19 October 2005 14:53 Go to next message
hey peoples. i have been thiknin of gettin a cressida soonish id be looking at the mx 83 GLX-i and upwards, and was jsut wondering wat theyre like to own, and wat goes wrong wiht them. i know the heads blow or something, and apart from that, does anything else really go wrong with them? also wats the fuel consumption like and how much do parts cost and how hard r they to find
sorry if its been covered before but i cbf searching

cheers dino

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 15:06]

Send a private message to this user    
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: cressy quality? Wed, 19 October 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cressys are very good quality, becqause they were quite the luxury car in their day.

they have no problems with rust.

pretty much the only problem they have is the 89-92 models (7mge engine) blowing the headgasket because they were'nt tightened down enough from factory.

seach.

Eldar.O.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: cressy quality? Wed, 19 October 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much very little goes wrong with Cressidas apart from the head/headgasket.

The build quality in these cars was very high and thus most of the panels and parts have withstood the test of time. On my car, and most of my friend's cressidas, all electrics and accessories work flawlessly despite being almost 15 years old.

Oh, if you get a Grande though, expect the leather steering wheel to be ratshit and totally fucked. They are the main thing that shows the car's age. Wink

Parts are damn expensive. (eg: second hand front bumperbar would cost about $650 in Melbourne) Mad.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 15:46]

corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it expenisive to fix the head/headgasket? and after that do they keep screwin up?
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not if they are fixed properly. Usually around $1000-1200 all up.

Or just drop a 1JZ-GTE engine in Wink
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes well i dont exaclty want my wallet being "raped" as yet but maybe later although id rahter a 2jz theyre the V8's yeah?
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My opinion on the matter is that if the head gasket blows then you should either install a 2JZGE or a 1JZGTE depending on whether you want a reliable daily driver or a fast 4 door sedan that you could (with the appropriate funds) modify to be very quick.

If you stick with the 7M as i have then you run the risk of further head gasket issues and you'll have spent a pile of money and not get any more power. I wish i'd gone the 2JZ route.

The 2JZGE is a 3.0L naturally aspirated 6cyl with a newer and far more reliable head design. There are a few other differences to the 7MGE as well that make the 2JZGE slightly more powerful too.

The 1JZGTE are a 2.5L twin turbo 6cyl that are a beautiful engine and pretty reliable but are getting quite expensive especially if you want one in a JZX81 half cut.
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well wtf do the V8 soarers have i thought they were 2jz's anyways im pretty sure ill be happy with the stock engine and insurance will turely rape the livin F*** out of my wallet and then the car will rape my wallet too. i guess i could aways put a 7m gt or watever theyr called in it

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 06:00]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason i say 2JZGE is because specifications wise it is the same as the 7MGE if you don't look too closely (ie: 3.0L, 6cyl, 24 valve, twin cam, non-turbo etc.)... so I reckon that insurance may be ok with it if you explain that it's basically the same but newer and more reliable. Also, it doesn't have two time bombs (read: turbo's) that can blow at any time and cost you heaps of money.

The 1UZFE (the v8) is an awesome engine but is a v8 and insurance will kill you like you said. Also, it's more of a squeeze to fit it in and is taking the car a long way from being stock standard.
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmm that would be nice tho wouldnt it can u get the 1jz's registered and shit easily i dont klnow much bout it but i dont think it can be all to hard as i am in S.A. its like bumpkin country Laughing
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and plus when have u ever heard of insurance compianies listening to you expalaining its not a faster engine especially an 18 year old Rolling Eyes might i add im black nah jk, no offense intended

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 06:18]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corona crew wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 16:15

mmmmmm that would be nice tho wouldnt it can u get the 1jz's registered and shit easily i dont klnow much bout it but i dont think it can be all to hard as i am in S.A. its like bumpkin country Laughing

I wasn't talking about 1JZ I was talking about 2JZ. Wink

I can't really remember exactly what the specs were but i'm thinking the 2JZGE has like 165kw or something while the standard 7MGE has 142kw... The 1JZGTE has 208kw so it's in a totally different league.

There was a time that i really hated the 7MGE for all the trouble it has caused me... the only reason i don't passionately hate it now is because it hasn't broken down for almot 9 months now and my hatred has faded to just dislike. The last time it did it cost me $4000 to get rebuilt. Go the 2JZGE if you can... if not, only let mechanics work on a 7MGE if they a) know what they're doing and b) take care to put it together right. It's not a Holden or Ford and if you slap the head back on and expect it to hold then you're in for a suprise.
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u mena a holden or ford head??????????? Shocked
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF?! Confused

I meant, unlike a Holden or Ford you can't just slap the head back on and expect it to last. With the 7M you have to take a lot more care and prepare the block and head surfaces so they are dead flat, then tighten the head evenly and to the appropiate torque.

What the hell did you think I meant? Surprised
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Thu, 20 October 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok yeah i thoguht u were saying u can put on holden or ford head gaskets and i was like "umm dude i dont think thatll work.." is it hard to replace them urself and also hows ur fuel consumpiton on that bad boy?
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: cressy quality? Sun, 23 October 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The headgasket is too hard for you to do yourself.

Fuel economy depends on the weight of your right foot. Smile
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Sun, 23 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i see and also is it very hard to do a manual conversion i.e. gearbox's and availability and how much do they cost?
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: cressy quality? Sun, 23 October 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a manual, buy a supra. The cressida is a cruisey car and in many ways is ruined when it's converted to manual. The reason being that the main thing it does best is being comfortable and smooth to drive, converting to manual takes a lot of the Cressida's best qualities away.

Having said that, many times have i wished my car was manual... but i am thankful it's not a lot of the time too.
corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: cressy quality? Sun, 23 October 2005 05:10 Go to previous message
yeah ive been told that a few times thanks everyone for their input

cheers dino
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone got a real old camry?
Next Topic:91 Celica convertable info needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:30:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047450065612793 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.