Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Biggles
Regular

June 2004
AE92 Jerking Sun, 16 October 2005 12:07 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Got an AE92 rolla, with the 4afc in it. Recently it has started jerking. You'll be accelerating in say 2nd, and suddenly it will seem to stop making power and then all of a sudden jerk and keep going along normally.

I'm not sure what could be the problem. Any ideas on things to check would be great thanks.

Note: does not only happen in 2nd, but always when accelerating.
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE92 Jerking Sun, 16 October 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What does the car sound like on start up?

Does it only jerk when your foot is on the accelerator? Check your plugs and leads. Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. The lead to cylinder 1 was stuffed so it was only running on 3 cylinders Razz
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: AE92 Jerking Sun, 16 October 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd guess
fuel pump dying
Blockage in carby
carby power squirter blocked/flooding
Biggles
Regular

June 2004
Re: AE92 Jerking Sun, 16 October 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car starts alright. I'll check the plugs though, might give it a full service just to clear all those options.

How would I check those kinda things? Blockages, fuel pump, etc?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: AE92 Jerking Sun, 16 October 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine mounts?
Biggles
Regular

June 2004
Re: AE92 Jerking Mon, 17 October 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hadn't thought of the mounts, I'll look into that one as well.
thanks
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: AE92 Jerking Tue, 18 October 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a thought -
Could be when the secondary venturi is opening but the secondary fuel jet may be blocked.
seeks
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE92 Jerking Thu, 20 October 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might sound like a stupid question, but does it get worse as you get down to say the last quarter of a tank of fuel ? Happen less when the fuel tank is full ?
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: AE92 Jerking Thu, 20 October 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4age jerked heaps before i replaced the ignitor. it had a bad earthing problem
try testing and ignitor and coil from another car and also make up an earthing wire for it... see if that helps

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 05:35]

Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: AE92 Jerking Thu, 20 October 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sounds like an ignition problem, I'd replace the spark plugs and leads, and maybe the dizzy cap.

My dad's AE92 wit teh 4AFE had the same sort of problem and all it took was filing down the points in the dizzy cap, so give that a shot first...

Kev.
BootySlap
Regular

January 2003
Re: AE92 Jerking Thu, 20 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to hijack but I just got back from driving my rolla with my new 4age engine. I also have the exact same jerking problem described and it also seems very underpowered.

The check oil light also comes on when i rev it and then turns off.

Any ideas ?
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: AE92 Jerking Thu, 20 October 2005 07:39 Go to previous message
I had a similar problem in my AE93, it would occasionally just jerk while driving along, then after a while it became dying briefly then coming to life again almost straight away. It only happened rarely, but once it died and i had to pull over and restart it i decided it might be about time to try and find the problem.

It took me fucken weeks to sort it out, and by then it had gotten to the point that it wouldn't always start again, or was regularly 'jerking' as it died and restarted instantly. What it turned out to be was the contacts in the ignition switch had worn so sometimes the circuit would break, and the weight of the keys was moving it just enough.

I'd say the other possible reasons are more likely, but when all else fails (like it did for me) look there. I finally discovered it because when it was idling and i tapped the keys with a screwdriver, the engine missed maybe a quarter of the time. I wasn't convinced, but a $5 part (on the bottom of the ignition barrel) and it hasn't done it since.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supra 6 speed 3rd gear crunch
Next Topic:4Axxx - W5x _alternatives_ to the dellow kit?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:52:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056109428405762 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.