Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 04:44 Go to next message
hi all,

The front windscreen in the RA28 leaks quite badly. Was a new windscreen and a new seal fitted by whichever company it was that I bought the screen from. (Was one of the bigger ones).

What can I do to seal it properly? I hear that the clips that hold the chrome trim on can cause problems, and the hood lining tucked in under the rubber would not be helping (it doesn't go all the way through).

Should I just put in more of that black goop or is there some non-corrosive silicon I can use or something?
  Send a private message to this user    
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it back to whoever did it and complain.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some winscreen fitters, are under the illusion that, rubber will knit to glass. They therefore do not place a bead of sealant between the glass, and seal, this will cause leaks in early Celica's.
The other area of concern, is the clips. But, if the fitter puts sufficient sealant around the rubber seal, and then works it in around the clips, with a plastic knife, then there should be no leaks.

cheers Chuck.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silicone glass sealant from Bunnings, around $5. That's what I used to seal my rear window when I swapped it over from my write-off, haven't had any sort of a leak. Just make sure you have a rag with metho or turps on it handy, so you can wipe it off the window quick when you accidently make a mistake and smear a bit all over the window ahhaha. (I have a little patch in the bottom left of my rear window that has silicone all over it, invisable, but when dirt gets on it you can plainly see it..)

Kev.
GZE-STYLE
Regular

July 2002

Re: leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just slaz the cunt.
Seriously just use soapy water and a spat when you use silicon
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of the time that wont work, it will just spread it. Where-as turps or metho will actually disolve the stuff that makes it dry, then you can just wipe it off.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: leaky windscreen Thu, 20 October 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DO NOT use any sealer, other than windscreen sealant. Acetic acid in some sealants, will eat through the paint, and start rusting the metal. A sure way to destroy a classic Celica.

cheers Chuck.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: leaky windscreen Fri, 21 October 2005 08:05 Go to previous message
yeah I was just about to say silicon will cause rust. There is silicon like stuff you can get but I think I'll just stick with the windscreen sealant. I don't even remember this guy using any sealant on it at all now that I think about it. He may have put some in while I wasn't looking. Last time I trust a professional.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE GT4 engine noise @ 4000rpm
Next Topic:TA22 Intercooler
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 01:07:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005885124206543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.