Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
meatmonkey
Newcomer

October 2005
A340H manual shifting Wed, 19 October 2005 02:32 Go to next message
So, I killed the stock ECU in my '90 4runner with a 3VZE, A340H, and ADD front end. All I could get my hands on was an ECU out of a stick shift equipped runner. This is a wheeling truck that never sees any significant road driving.

Now, as was expected, the tranny will only shift when you manually select a gear. This wouldn't be a problem if I could select second gear! When the shifter is in 1, the tranny is in one, shifter in 2, tranny in 3, shifter in D, tranny in overdrive. I gather that this is a limp home mode, since the tranny no longer has a compatable ECU. How can I make the tranny shift correctly so that I can use second gear? I have no desire to use overdrive, unless it can be used as a spitter gear to essentially make the tranny a close ratio unit, like use overdrive in first when first is to low and second is to high a ratio.

The shop manual describes this tranny as a 3 speed planetary unit with a seperate overdrive, but by looking at the shifting solenoid's diagram, it looks like it is only possible to engage overdrive in third, but then I hear reports of it being able to engage in second in some applications under certain conditions so which is it?

Next question: How do you wire up a switch to the lockup converter? I would really like to be able to use engine braking offroad. I also think that it might allow me to bumpstart the motor if need be.

Will shifting the tranny, including the overdrive unit, with the torque converter locked up damage anything, or will it just shift really firm?

Also, as a side question, does the transfer case that is attached to this tranny only keep the front and rear driveshafts locked together, when in either 4high or 4low, when the engine is running?

Everyone else tells me to get the right ECU, which I know is the easiest, and most expensive (It is only a $200 truck), solution, but it also won't gain me anything other than a correctly shifting tranny. If I can make this tranny do what I want then I'll be one very happy camper, but this all could just be a pipe dream.

I noticed that there seemed to be some very brigth people on this board, and I was hoping that some of them could help me out with this self inflicted and unique problem. At this point, any comments are appreciated, cause wheeling with no second gear sucks!
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: A340H manual shifting Wed, 19 October 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MV Automatics have a box to manual shift the A340E.

Failing that, convert to manual.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: A340H manual shifting Wed, 19 October 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...or get out the soldering iron, a few diodes, and save yourself a few $.
meatmonkey
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: A340H manual shifting Wed, 19 October 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a bit about vehicles, but electrical components are definately my weak point.

Who is MV automatics? Do you have a link? Whatever it is they make, I probably can't afford, but maybe it will give me some ideas to go on.

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: A340H manual shifting Wed, 19 October 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, MV Automatics are in Adelaide, Australia. Their box is ~$200AUD. For what you want, a few diodes will do just fine, and cost all of a few cents. All you need is to work out which wires go to the shift solonoids in the box, and which wires do which on the gearshift switch. This can be done with a multimeter/test light.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: A340H manual shifting Wed, 19 October 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hijack, but is making the box manualmatic give it a positive feel?, as in, you dont wait 2 years for it to shift?

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 15:53]

meatmonkey
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: A340H manual shifting Thu, 20 October 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems, according to a diagram I recieved off the link, that the Neutral safety switch indicates each gear, not just neutral and park, by switching power to different wires coming off it. I think that by splicing into the wires coming off of the switch I will be able to just shift the thing like a stick, and have have it select the correct gear. If this is possible, then why didn't Toyota just do this is the first place for a backup system?

I am trying to figure out how to make the O/D off switch on the shifter still function so that I can use overdrive in low range if the need arises.

I think I have figured out how to lock up the torque converter with a switch, but just to complicate things I would like to use the ECT Power switch to do so.

For what it's worth, although I don't have a second gear, it does seem to shift quicker.

One last question. Does solenoid number 4, the one for the transfer case, control 2wd/4wd selection, or high/low range selection? I ask because being able to select 2/low would be pretty cool.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: A340H manual shifting Thu, 20 October 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mate-what you've picked up is correct. The neutral-start switch also has wires that indicate which of the 6 positions the lever is in. There is a power-in wire, and there is continuity between that and one of the 6 wires depending on position.

The trans will shift as follows when there is no power to the box.

1/1st, 2/3rd, D/OD. It will not select 2nd. To select 2nd gear you need to gain control over the 2 shift control solenoids (solenoid 1 and 2). The shift control solenoids are used by the ECU to change which gear the car is in. (2 solenoids, 2 positions-on and off, hence 2x2=4 combinations for 4 gears).

To get the box to shift 1,2,3,OD you must use the lever position signal from the NS-switch to control the shift slenoids. (it can be done with relays, transistors etc-pretty easy really.)

I don't believe you will be able to activate the overdrive ratio without making a change to the actual hydraulic circuit in the valvebody.

As for the converter lock-up, all you need to do is supply +ve12V to the solenoid (Solenoid 3) and it locks.

Finally, as for the 4th solenoid, I can't answer as I'm using a 2wd box, but just jump 12v to the wire and see what happens.

If you some more detailed info on wiring, valvebody mods and such I'd be happy to help.

Sean

PS-BEWARE OF USING IT WITHOUT SECOND GEAR. THE SLIPPING AS IT GOES FROM 1ST to 3RD CAN OVER HEAT AND FRY THE FRICTION MATERIAL.
madmont
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: A340H manual shifting Thu, 20 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As MS-75 said use the indicator switch with diodes to activate the 1 & 2 solenoids. You could use the button on the shift lever to turn the power to the indicator switch on and off which would give you overdrive when lever in drive. Use the switch on the transfer case to switch into low range ,when going slowly, and disengage the hubs when you want low range 2wd.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: A340H manual shifting Thu, 20 October 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madmont wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 20:12

As MS-75 said use the indicator switch with diodes to activate the 1 & 2 solenoids. You could use the button on the shift lever to turn the power to the indicator switch on and off which would give you overdrive when lever in drive. Use the switch on the transfer case to switch into low range ,when going slowly, and disengage the hubs when you want low range 2wd.

Madmont, yup-that's how I activate OD in the Crown. I use the OD button to cut power to the solenoid shift box as it conveniently has continuity when 'OFF' and breaks the circuit when 'ON'.

Sean =-)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: A340H manual shifting Thu, 20 October 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the OD button, connect one side of a NC relay to the OD button, and the other side to the wire that is live when the lever is in D - that way, you can only select top gear when in D, rather than it making a pest of itself other times. The shift 'feel' is fine this way, with shimmed accumulators etc. it is much better than the factory control - the only thing you have to remember is that if you try and select 1st gear at 190km/h, it will try and do it...
meatmonkey
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: A340H manual shifting Thu, 20 October 2005 13:48 Go to previous message
I am aware that this tranny will have no failsafes and that it will do exactly what I want, when I want. That is exactly what I am looking for.

The main reason I wanted 2-low is so that it will turn tighter if needed, becase of no drivetrain bind, so it is really just for the cool factor.

I know about the slipping issue, so for any real obstacles I just stick in in 1 and rev the heck out of the 3.0. It doesn't even sound unhappy till close to seven grand...

I found some diodes at radioshack for about three bucks for a pack of four that will flow six amps, and Ithink hold something like 50 volts backpressure, does that sound right? If it does, will these work?

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:about 100kw manifold 4age
Next Topic:Mating 1G-Gte - AE 86 axle
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:51:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075509548187256 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.