Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engineers Certificates for engine swap

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zegga
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 12 October 2005 03:05 Go to next message
Hey im trying to work out how much it would cost to get an engineers certificate for a a 1977 celica it had an engine swap to a later model engine, would anyone know how much it might cost to make this legally roadworthy and so i can register it ok.
  Send a private message to this user    
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 12 October 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All depends on what engine and what mods were done to fit it.

Need more info.

If it was an easy swap (not a lot of cutting and shutting so to speak) and the capacity, number of cylinders (weight and placement) and relative power specs remains the same then you may not need an Engineers approval to get through rego.

Regards

Rodger
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Tue, 18 October 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In NSW if you change the engine to one other than one that was an option for that specific make of vehicle and/or it increases the power of the vehicle by more than 15% then you need an engineer's certificate. The cost of the certificate should be the same weather there are heaps of mods or just a few.
If the engine was an optional fit for that model then the same brakes and suspension e.t.c will have to be fitted and then you don't need a certificate. For more info go to the RTA website and have a look around. It also lists all the engineers and contact details for them. You are better off talking to them before you do any mods just to be sure.

Cheers,
Kurt.
laaag
Regular

June 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Tue, 18 October 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i've gathered from the rta pdf files and similar threads there is no restriction on the power change but only the capacity of the engine.
if the capacity is increased by more than 15% the vehicle will require and engineers certificate.

eg i've been told that converting my ae82 from its 4age(86kw) to a 4age(100kw) will not require a certificate is it the same engine-4age, same capacity, just a later version.

please correct me if im wrong...
cheers Razz
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Tue, 18 October 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate im doing my commodore conversion with a 1jz in it, and im in adelaide, go to and rego centre and ask for a green 'application to alter vehicle or trailer details' form. Fill it out with all the necessary details and send it in. They will then sned you back a "Statement of Requirements-vehicle modifications"

This will tell you exactly what they want done before you get it through regency. My Swap was from a 202efi to a 1jz-gte, they didnt want brake upgrade, engineers certificate, just a independant emissions test and standrad roadworthiness check. In mine they want everything on the motor to be pretty much bog stock, computer induction etc, and an unleaded fuel neck filler.

Hope that helps
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 19 October 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt.R wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 21:10

The cost of the certificate should be the same weather there are heaps of mods or just a few.

not neccessarily, as the engineer has a bit more paper work to do, and also they have to ensure that if modification X is going to have any affect on the safety of modification Y
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 19 October 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It also depends if the engineer likes you or not Razz If he makes you come back 13 times, and charges you each time, obviously it's not gonna be cheap... No, he's not supposed to do that, but that doesn't stop some from trying!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 19 October 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laaag wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 21:25

from what i've gathered from the rta pdf files and similar threads there is no restriction on the power change but only the capacity of the engine.
if the capacity is increased by more than 15% the vehicle will require and engineers certificate.

eg i've been told that converting my ae82 from its 4age(86kw) to a 4age(100kw) will not require a certificate is it the same engine-4age, same capacity, just a later version.

please correct me if im wrong...
cheers Razz

dont take rta pdf's as gospell i know one person in particular that got his car engineered with an RTA authorised engineering signatory which he got from a pdf on the rta website. Engineer passed his car no worries but the rta wont honour his certificate b/c the engineer is being audited aparantly which they failed to update on their site
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 19 October 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which engineer? Was it Werner at Castle Hill?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Wed, 19 October 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe he was at kirawee or that area
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Thu, 20 October 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe.. What about an SR20DET into an RA60 celica ? there both 2 litre, infact RA65 is 2.4 litre.. power output is fairly differnt tho lol. All i was told in basic form is, if the motor is similar capacity (probably 15% as said) or the same, also similar weight, then there shouldnt be a problem. I think i will do what ripfast said, go get a green slip n see how it goes.. I just got my appendix out so i got a few weeks to go ask n buy crap

Wez

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 10:05]

Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Thu, 20 October 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whether you do or don't need an engineers certificate depends on so many things that you need to speak to an engineer to be absolutely sure. Things to consider are the tare weight of the vehicle, whether the donor vehicle's engine complies with the same emission guide lines as the vehicle being modified, cubic capacity, power output and whether the engine is naturally aspirated or has forced induction. The guide lines on the RTA web site are exactly that...guide lines. The police will defect you in accordance with the Road Transport Regulations Act and you can have all the print outs off the RTA web site that you want and it won't matter because the Road Transport Regulations Act is the over riding document. Any way.. talk to an engineer.. talk is free.

Cheers,
Kurt.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 13:28]

ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Thu, 20 October 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
green slips and the corresponding statement of requirements are free as well.
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Fri, 21 October 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In adelaide, budget between $1500 & $2500. And if the car's a piece of shit, you'll obviously encounter cost's there too.

Try Doug Potts in Goodwood (cheaper)
Or BC Tonkins.. (more professional) - http://www.tonkin.com.au/what_mae.asp
ke1500
Regular

October 2002
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Fri, 21 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk isn't free by the way. I work for a leading engineering firm in Adelaide and theres something called a consulting fee!

Last time i went to Doug Potts, He wasn't to keen on giving to much away until he signed you up for an engineers report. Probably about $100-$200 initially. Then he'll write out a request to Transport SA and they will notify him of the test's he need's to carry out according to the vehicle specs he's given. Emissions test is the scariest. Can cost in the vicinity of $3000k. *Supposedly* Mitsubishi is the only place that has the appropriate test equiptment in adelaide. Holding up production isn't cheap. Try to avoid running big turbo's + aftermarket computers. Just ask the engineer - He know's, not me.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Fri, 21 October 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 12:33

Which engineer? Was it Werner at Castle Hill?

i think wrener is getting audited because he was passing trucks that shouldnt have been. and just charging extra.
there was someone who got a quote of him last week $880 and that was just bagged, notched, and a couple of little things
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Fri, 21 October 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there,

Just a quick question, does anyone happen to know if i'll have any trouble with SArego for a swap from 18RC to 18RG in an RA23? It's NA with webers and extractors.

Cheers, Pomey!
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Fri, 21 October 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all you need for an emission test is a 4 gas spectrum analyser. You can get it done at places like profix for $40, they all have the proper testing equipment, and your statement of requirements comes with the paperwork for them to fill out.

i dont think youd be getting many people doing anything if a emission test was 3000 fukin dollars
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Sun, 23 October 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE1500, In NSW an emissions test is done by the RTA and is FREE. I have done this twice for 2 separate cars that I had engineered.
I have no idea where your getting those figures from cause mine cost me about $400 each. This was 2 years ago and I know that the cost for engineering has gone but i'm sure that it hasn't gone up that much. The expensive tests that i think you are talking about is the noise induction test which is where you have do do a moving test in an open area e.t.c. and most engineers will hire a race track or similar which is why it costs so much. If an engineer wants to charge you for for asking a few questions then i would tell him to shove it.

Thats my 2c worth.
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Engineers Certificates for engine swap Mon, 24 October 2005 11:39 Go to previous message
Depends on how much of an ass the engineer is as to how much he will give away. We have a good engineer here in townsville, he will explain what the standards should be for your conversion, and then just charge for the inspection and any further consultations. yes, time is money, and engineers time is valuable, but business sense sez that you gotta give a little bit to make a bit. The advice they will give for free wont be specific detail, but it will be a good guide.

Thats my 2c... and ke1500, I too will be working for a major engineering consultancy firm as of jan 9... cant wait to end the university cycle Very Happy

Cheers, Owen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Chasing a 1ggte WOLF3d map
Next Topic:Superchargering a 4age corolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:41:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006411075592041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.