Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 01:00 Go to next message
I was thinking about it yesterday and then I though that, where the right toe hook is, running an intake pipe down there up to the stock airbox, cut a hole and attach pipe to airbox
and possibly using a panel filter/pod filter, the panel would be better suited for the stock airbox?
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you intend on using the stock airbox i doubt that you would get a pod filter in there, therefore will have to do with a panel filter, but it should be good if you can run a pipe from the airbox, should get some good response.
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how hard to make custom airbox? what kinda material is suitable as for the intake pipe would u recomend the plastic or go to an exhaust shop and get them to knock somethin up? would panel or pod be better?
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if your car is running pretty much standard, your probably better off using the airbox, maybe get yourself a 2nd hand airbox to work with just incase you stuff the original, get a flexible pipe and cut the bottom of the airbox so the pipe will fit and just seal it off, beware the airbox is abit tough if you don't have the right cutting equip.
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can make an airbox form fibreglass, not supposed to be that hard.

I think theres an article in the latest hot 4's. If your interested in that I'll check the issue (my mate buys it, not me).

But basically they use cardboard as a mold then lay the matting inside that before putting the resin on
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How hard would it be to make an airbox out of metal? possibly alluminium or sumthin, any recomendations? A metal workshop would be able to make something up if supplied with measurements?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not worth the wasted time Smile
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 14:30

not worth the wasted time Smile

Yeah, Listen to this guy.. Rolling Eyes

Hey mate, if your keen on making a metal airbox, go to a hardware shop and buy a sheet (eg.aluminium)

Get some cardboard and cut up a template. Bend the metal into shape then screw or rivet it together.
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just askin lol, wasnt plannin on it anyways
so yeah, cut hole in stock airbox, run plastic piping to probably where toe hook is, and use a panel filter, prolly k & n
would i expect a power increase, even the slighest lol, what would i secure the intake piping with?
cable ties.........?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86Celica wrote on Fri, 21 October 2005 22:09

just askin lol, wasnt plannin on it anyways
so yeah, cut hole in stock airbox, run plastic piping to probably where toe hook is, and use a panel filter, prolly k & n
would i expect a power increase, even the slighest lol, what would i secure the intake piping with?
cable ties.........?

increase in hot weather... maybe.

zip ties.

if you have a MAP then a simple cold air intake like that works optimally. if you have a afm its not going to help much. flappers need at least some form of decent ram to be effective (air being metered as it goes past the afm vs air already in the intake on the map, if you cant ram extra air into the intake with a afm it wont do much) but either way the denser air is benificial, the ecu will adjust fuel to suit and whollah, a miniscule bi tof extra power or a bit better fuel economy becuase of the extra power you dont load the engine as much.

a big gain would be to get a new (clean) filter in Smile

i have a flapper and a short ram (uncovered pod in the engine bay) and it makes no difference over the stock setup with a clean filter.

http://iow.free.fr/new/S4010207.jpg
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I'm fairly sure in this case the ECU won't alter it's tuning at all on WOT as it runs a open-loop for that purpose (ie it does not use the EGO as a correction factor)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: CAI for ST162 Fri, 21 October 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If for some crazy reason you do manage to increase air flow (extremely unlikely) or do manage to drop the temperature of the air going in (also fairly unlikely), then you might get some increase in power.
86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Sat, 22 October 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok, so you guys reckon, just whack a panel filter in stock airbox and be done with it?
thanx for ur advice guys

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 01:23]

86Celica
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: CAI for ST162 Sat, 22 October 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is map and afm, how can i tell which is in my car
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: CAI for ST162 Sat, 22 October 2005 09:32 Go to previous message
86Celica wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 11:25

What is map and afm, how can i tell which is in my car

Gen1 3sge's have an AFM. The afm is the big metal thing that the pod filter is attached to in the picture just posted.

In your case, the afm is attached to your airbox.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1990 Celica SX Wireing Diagrams
Next Topic:plastics made in adleaide*****
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:16:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054690837860107 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.