Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Mon, 17 October 2005 09:33 Go to next message
ok, I know there are plenty of people out there who have removed their MA61 diffs, so someone has to have had this problem. I've cracked all the bolts except one of the top ones (the very top, horizontal ones).
I cracked one, which was bloody hard. now I'm up to No. 2. I've managed to turn it in it's housing a little bit, enough to twist the bit of metal under the head Mad

can anyone recommend an easy way to do this? the breaker bar is just twisting everything, and it requires both hands and my legs braced against the floorpan just to move the bloody thing, so I can't attach a socket to the other end.

my only option as I see it is to bash the crap out of the bit of metal I twisted so I can fit a socket on there, then use Ed's breaker bar and 14mm socket to somehow try and brace that against something solid, so when I twist the nut it'll hold the head in place. yes? other options?
bear in mind only 1 mechanically competant person at my house (and even that's dubious)
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Mon, 17 October 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Start off with a liberal coating of RP7 or WD40 or CRC of the like. Lots of it, leave it some time to penetrate. I'm trying to visualise which bit you've broken. Give us a pic to go with it...after you've sprayed on the above.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Mon, 17 October 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have just sprayed.
under the bolt head there's a right-angled piece of metal separate to the crossmember. I've managed to twist it, such that it is no longer right angled, and prevents me from fitting a socket on the head of the bolt.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Mon, 17 October 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, after exhausting my supply of WD40 (which was nearly empty anyway) and nearly being hit in the face by a flying socket I've decided to leave it till tomorrow.

I think a WST may be required.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Mon, 17 October 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Failing that just unbolt the rear upper crossmember.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Mon, 17 October 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, that's next on the list. but if it's so damn hard to remove with the car to brace it, I don't want to take it out and be totally unable to remove the bolt Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP! ma61 top diff bolts Sat, 22 October 2005 07:32 Go to previous message
well, in the end I "fixed" the problem.

by fix, I mean I ended up breaking the bolt... but they're both off now

here are the bolts I meant:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/draven/car/diff_bolts.jpg

note one of them has had the metal brace twisted off by my 1/2" drive socket.

it appears whoever put these bolts on did so tightly enough to thread both bolts, which is why it was so damn hard to get them off.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 07:34]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bigworm @ WSID
Next Topic:First car questions.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:58:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042290687561035 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.