Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
leroy-rn41
Occasional Poster

October 2005
icon2.gif  hilux + 1gge Sat, 22 October 2005 12:48 Go to next message
hello all after a series of extended phone calls lookin for some 18rg bits i have decided and/or been perswaded to put a 1ggte engine in my hilux but im only 16 and the law is i cant drive a turbo or super charged vehicle so i will have to go with a 1gge the late model engine. many people have done these conversions in celicas and hiluxs and i found a guy who makes up looms to suit celicas.
i was wondering:
things i no
- a new fuel system will need to be added
- i found a guy in sydney who will sell me a 1ggte for $650 will a non turbo cost more or less
- i will need a new 5 speed supra box
- i think the gear box cross member needs to be adjustered

things i need to no

- will these looms fit a rn41 hilux?
- the mounts have to have a 10mm spacer added
- will the radiator need to be moved
- will the mounts need to be bolted (mid or bac mounts)

will this conversion be legal
will an engineers certificut be needed
remmember any help/critisism will be much appreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: hilux + 1gge Sat, 22 October 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not sure where u live but it is where: u can't have forced induction or performance modded cars at all
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: hilux + 1gge Sun, 23 October 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 01:59

i'm not sure where u live but it is where: u can't have forced induction or performance modded cars at all

this is why reading is important...

he's talking about 1G-GE - so not forced induction - and i dont think it counts as a 'performance mod'.

not having put a 1G into a hilux i'm only guessing, but it sounds like the target car has an 18R engine?

loom will be for the engine only - you'll have to integrate the charging system (e.g. charge light, alt light, IGN source for the alt), general power to the engine loom, and sensors for the dash (temp, tacho, oil-light, charge-light).

mount type will depend on where the steering control arm is an d what shape the cross member is - if it's like a RA40 you'll need a mid-rear sump. no idea about the spacer - what made you think this was needed?

radiator 'may' need to be moved, but if you change to thermo fans than all you'll have to do regarding the rad is ensuringthe in/outlet holes suit the engine.

you will have to look at the rear crossmember

it will require engineering, you'd changing to a 6cyl and converting to EFI.

help? read, research, re-read and re- research. and what ever budget you have will only be 50% of the end cost and it will tak 2-3 times as long as you plan/

good luck!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: hilux + 1gge Sun, 23 October 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might like to consider a 22R-E. they are cheap as chips and it would be much less work to put in. a 22RE should bolt straight up to your exisiting gearbox. regarding mounts and sump, you might like to do some homework to see if there is another hilux crossmember that bolts straight in to allow for a 22RE engine to bolt straight in.

just thought this might be a better option considering your age/experience etc. putting a 1g in will be ALOT of work and ALOT of money. 22r might be a better option and still give a healthy improvement of torque and power

Quote:

put a 1ggte engine in my hilux but im only 16 and the law is i cant drive a turbo or super charged vehicle

that law sucks, but luckily for me, queensland dont have it (yet?) Razz . ive got a 1G-GTE RA40 celica and im <18 Wink
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: hilux + 1gge Sun, 23 October 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so engine swaps are still legal where u live ?

22re is a good option ask RT-142 About the torque of them.

Plus ppl can't get rid of them quick enough.

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: hilux + 1gge Sun, 23 October 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you'll find you cant put the 1g in.. iirc in new now if your a p plater you cant have any modification requiring engineering certification... and im pretty sure a 1g will fall into the bucket.
leroy-rn41
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: hilux + 1gge Tue, 25 October 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright, sorry for the late reply. you's have comfirmed my worst fears, i was goin to ring the engineer this arvo but the phone line was being played with by telstra so now u have filled my head with some ideas including the 22re transfer ill look into that a little more and find out some info on the necessary things needed and ill keep u all posted
a special thanks to all who helped me thanks Very Happy
leroy-rn41
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: hilux + 1gge Tue, 25 October 2005 11:55 Go to previous message
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
&#8226; engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
correctly);

minor error i will ask the engineer tommorrow about this the rn41 is only a 2L the 22re is a 2.4L which is 20% bigger but as i sed ill ask thanks leroy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tein Coilovers
Next Topic:1JZGTE conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:22:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050458908081055 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.