Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Improperly gapped plugs...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 00:03 Go to next message
Just wondering, when it comes to spark plugs, does it really make much of a difference if they are wrongly gapped? What does the gap really mean anyway?

Kev.
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the gap is too big the engine can backfire.. generally won't run as well as it should. 0.8mm seems to be the basic gap for most engines.. stu said something about it a few days ago
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gap is how easy it is for the spark to jump.

if the gap is too big, your engine will typically develop a miss.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if no gap it will not fire. get a manual and it will tell you what gap you need
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 4AGE is meant to run on 1.1MM gapped plugs, I didn't know that when I bought my 1.1MM plugs and was told to bend them down to 0.8MM, so I did... Just wondering if that would cause any problems?

Kev.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in all 3 4a's ive got here they are running 0.8mm gap. inc 2 gze's
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 11:50

The 4AGE is meant to run on 1.1MM gapped plugs, I didn't know that when I bought my 1.1MM plugs and was told to bend them down to 0.8MM, so I did... Just wondering if that would cause any problems?

Kev.

yar, check the www.ngkspark.com.au site... it says some 4AG's are specced to 1.1...
this does seem a bit big tho... i'd be happier with 0.8, unless you had a particularly healthy coil..

what will happen (as Draven said) is that under load, the engine will start to misfire..

on my car i noticed this at highway speeds, flooring it to overtake, it started missing a bit.. but it never did it any other time... closed to gap down 0.1mm (to 0.Cool and the miss went away.. opened it back up (yah i suck as a scientist Razz) and problem came back...

so, if you have mising issues, close plug gap to 0.8 and then investigate the rest of the ignition system.. Very Happy
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always wondered if the 1.1mm gap was a misprint.. for example they list 4afe with a 0.8mm gap, and 4afc with 1.1mm gap, as far as I know they use the same ignition system.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it may have just been a knee-jerk response to emissions regulations at the time perhaps?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Improperly gapped plugs... Sun, 23 October 2005 04:39 Go to previous message
Nope, Bigport 4AGEs are actually specced everywhere i can find with 1.1mm plugs, but all the rest are 0.8mm plugs.
Personally i have run both 1.1mm and 0.8mm plugs with little missing on the 1.1mms. I mainly use the 1.1s for testing and to get an engine running, as they are much cheaper than 0.8s.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Increasing Flow. 1G-GTE Head.
Next Topic:Overheating + aircon ? ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:01:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050818920135498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.