Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
intake on import aw11 Sat, 22 October 2005 03:31 Go to next message
Hi everyone i recently purchased a 1988 Toyota MR2 (imported version) with a black top 4A-GE that has a MAP sensor not an AFM. Anyways ive been reading a lot about how inefficient the standard air intake is and that replacing the standard filter with a k&n replacement does not have any positive effect.

I would like to make the intake more efficient and was considering pulling out the entire intake system and building my own. Now ive read that there is a fair amount of cool air that comes up into the engine bay from underneath the car and I was thinking that by placing a pod filter somewhere just off to the side of the vents in the bonnet lid but still somewhat near the flow of air i may be able to get some cool air to the filter and stop any rain getting into it.

What i am unsure about is what the two vacuum hoses connecting one to my air filter box and one to the top of the engine are for exactly and where they would have to be relocated to if i was to make my own intake.

Could you guys who have done this before lead me in the right direction as to which path to follow to make my intake as efficient as possible. If anyone has pictures of their setup I would be very appreciative if you could pass on some knowlege to help me out.
  Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAP !!?!?!?

which engine is it ? casue it would have had an AFMengine from factory...

care to post up some pics ?
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a picture of the engine and also the airbox it has now. Its proving to be difficult finding a filter for this box, which really is driving me to do my own intake.
http://www.picturehosting.org/images/allanw/airbox1.jpg
http://www.picturehosting.org/images/allanw/engine1.jpg
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ha looks like its a aw11 first revison with the airbox in the engine bay instead of the boot like the later ones.. are you sure that its 88 ? get the chasis number and check

my thought is to run some plumbing down under the battery box and make up a box down infront on the gearbox somwhere.
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Toof, i think i might mount the battery so it runs front to rear instead of side to side, that will give some room to run the plumbing down the side of the battery giving it a nice smooth path to follow.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mount a pod filter directly off the throttle body i relocated my afm to sit straight off the inlet manifold then mounted my pod filter off that seemed to make a difference aparantly its good for 5hp atw from what other people have found.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it'd have tobe given how woeful the plumbingin the boot is.

im thinking of getting a smaller battery and mounting it up on the firewall .. bascailly where the esiting battery bracket mounts on the firewall. that way id have plenty of space to mount my a/w cooler as well as plumbing for the intake
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh sorry i was talking about when i had the old 4age in mine.

As for the s/c yeah i ditched the boot plumbing crap and relocated the pod filter to sit underneath the i/c which seems to work well
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intake on import aw11 Sun, 23 October 2005 11:43 Go to previous message
toof wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 13:06

MAP !!?!?!?

which engine is it ? casue it would have had an AFMengine from factory...

care to post up some pics ?

all the 4age aw11's in the UK have a MAP. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4A-GZE Gearbox Cooling?
Next Topic:1ggte - is it legal in a raX in Queensland?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 02:34:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049459934234619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.