Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Strange power steering problem...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Strange power steering problem... Mon, 24 October 2005 00:21 Go to next message
Last night I was driving a celsior and then all of a sudden the steering became very heavy to suggest the power steering was not functioning, however if you bring the revs up on the car to around 1500rpm it functions fine...thinking this was a low fluid problem I went to the local servo and topped it up with fluid, however the problem still existed, basically its fine when you are driving but when you come to a stop then it becomes very heavy.

Thats not the oddest part tho...this morning i hopped into the car to come to work and the power steering was fine, its about a 15 minute drive to work, i noticed when I pulled into the work carpark that the steering was heavy again, so it seems that when the fluid gets up to operating temp it kills the power steering.

I have put it down to either:

-dying power steering pump
-leak in lines somewhere

the pump makes no funny noises and the car is as quiet as it was...im a little puzzled?

any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Mon, 24 October 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it electronicly controlled? could that be freaking out?

perhaps there is a restriction in the line somewhere?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Strange power steering problem... Mon, 24 October 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like pump to me.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Mon, 24 October 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 10:00

is it electronicly controlled? could that be freaking out?

perhaps there is a restriction in the line somewhere?

its more than likely electronically controlled as the car has more wiring and electronic gizmos than some houses Laughing its a little odd that it would only occur after the car gets to operating temp though isnt it?

I doubt its a restriction in the line as it would be occuring all the time wouldnt it? unless the 1UZ/celsior/crown/soarer power steering is is routed through different lines untill it is at operating temperature?

I will get under the car tonight and have a look but I am trying to guage peoples opinions atm
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strange power steering problem... Mon, 24 October 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the powersteering cooler thermostatically controlled? Problem occurring when hitting operating temp may be related to that?

I had a weird problem like this in the supra - the p/s would switch off at odd times. Initially I though it was when I went over 80km/h but a few more intances showed it was actually just random. Turned out to be the pump - (from memory the high pressure switch turning off and not switching back on or something like this). It's probably the pump.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Mon, 24 October 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to know if the ps is thermostatically controlled as then maybe I could override it to suss the problem?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump

any more ideas?
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any reside around the cap? like you are boiling the fluid or anything?

perhaps you could put your multi meter across the control wires that go into the pump? see if they change?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 10:40

any reside around the cap? like you are boiling the fluid or anything?

perhaps you could put your multi meter across the control wires that go into the pump? see if they change?

no boiling of fluid

ill try the multimeter tonight

should the levels change?
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if the voltages read the same when the pump is playing up, and when its not.. it should rule out an electrical cause.. and you can start looking for mechanical causes.. or why the control voltage is changing..

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks mate
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are no control wires on the pump.
There may be 2 wires on the rack for 'progressive power steering' though. All that does it restrict flow at higher speeds. But not all Toyota's have it (ie MX73's did, but they dropped it for the MX83, yet the JZX81 has it...)

I'm not sure how this works. ie, whether unplugging it puts it in restricted mode, or free mode, worth a try to test though.

If the pump is leaking, it will be dropping fluid onto the alternator. Leave this for too long, and you'll kill the alternator. I'm not sure where it leaks from, I've wiped the bottom of my pump a few times, always come up clean, so I presume mine isn't leaking.

There is no thermostat in the line AFAIK, but thats hella easy to check for.

Apart from that my 1uz idle's around 400rpm in gear while parking, so the steering does get a bit heavy there as the pump isn't spinning very fast.
But rev it up to 800ish and its fine.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 02:59]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is no fluid leak...if there was a leak they wouldnt have passed the car on rego 4 days ago Smile

thats why this is so odd Neutral

afaik when you unplug the electronic control for the PS it goes into limp mode and nearly stops it alltogether, this is the case for my soarer anyway...

might have to try it tonight on the celly tho Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 11:05

there is no fluid leak...if there was a leak they wouldnt have passed the car on rego 4 days ago Smile

If there is a leak you won't see it.
It will drop straight from the resevior into the alternator, and get burnt.

This is why so many alternators die, because the owners have no idea the ps is leaking, because there is no trace.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 12:38

MR 1JZ wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 11:05

If there is a leak you won't see it.
It will drop straight from the resevior into the alternator, and get burnt.

This is why so many alternators die, because the owners have no idea the ps is leaking, because there is no trace.

you would smell it tho??

no weird smells either...

Neil Griffiths from ALSC Suggested these problems:

Quote:

Dirty Fluid.
Pressure Sensor in Rack Dirty.
Proportioning Valve in Pump Dirty.

dirty fluid I can deal with myself

but the other two...

where would the pressure sensor be? is it a rack removal and pull apart job?

Same with the valve in the pump? remove and dismantle to clean?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pressure sensor in the rack will be obvious.
My cressida's rack is different to the Celsior's, so I cant help you there.

Prop valve in the pump I'm pretty sure is the one with the 2 vacuum lines on it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so the prop valve on the pump is accessible without removing the pump from the motor?

I think I know which one is the pressure sensor on the rack now too

cheers peewee
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the prop valve is the one I'm thinking of, then its just a shifting spanner away.

The resevior may leak like a siv when you remove it though.
Never removed it with fluid in.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Strange power steering problem... Tue, 25 October 2005 03:32 Go to previous message
ill be sure to dump the fluid first then, i wanna change it anyway, i doubt it would have been done too often in japan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Transmission and power steering fluid
Next Topic:lpg conversions to camry
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 16:41:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073890686035156 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.