Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 08:36 Go to next message
http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?show topic=100681

I personally wouldn't have picked a vn cuz of it's looks i would go something later model (VR VS)

But it is lightish
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if he'd be willing to part with just the engine and attached goodies. he can keep the ugly wheels, ok sound system and crappy vn body Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the superb handeling dynamics of a commodore Razz
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so ugly it makes baby jesus cry Crying or Very Sad
CelicasuprA
Regular

May 2005
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or u could get an aristo and look 100x better
or a 1jz chaser/markii
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know to laugh or cry.

the effort and money it's taken is to be saluted, and the result applauded...

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 22:11

and the superb handeling dynamics of a commodore Razz

I don't see how a VN couldn't be made to handle well. I am sure there is a lot of support for these vehicles after being punted around racetracks all over australia...

I may be biased as my family used to own one. But I can say that it was pretty good through corners after it had a bit of work done to the suspension.

Plus wouldn't the VN have about a 200 kg advantage over a JZA80???

I don't see why everyone has to rip into commodores and falcons all the time. So they aren't built in the land of the rising sun. Plenty of crappola cars have come from Japan, especially from the same era as this car.

Anyway just adding to discussion...

Edit: My shithouse spelling and grammar Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2005 12:54]

Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

just rippin into this one cos it seriously looks crap

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2005 13:19]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wash yer mouth out brick.

Sure any turd can be polished up and improved. But the VN i would have to say is the most un dymanic uncontrollable heap of metal i've been in. Once they lose traction it's hold on for dear life as they don't have predictable handeling.

Firt car crash i was in was my friends VN years ago when they were pretty new cars, ended up into a telegraph pole, came off a dip in the road at 60k's and the car was crumped to about half the size, cousin has a metal plate in his face from that adventure.

Second car crash, another friend buaght a VN about 4 years ago, just goin arounf a corner at the speed limit, car coming the opp direction was overstepping the line, so avoided him, but lost control car did a 360 spin and ended up the side of a hill. no serious injury but car is a write off.

3rd crash was a lexcen, i wasn't in it luckily, the driver was a fuckhead that stole my PC so sucked in he crashed, but yeah wrote that off which i new would happen.

Lets just say stock they are dangerous cars, good drivers makes a diff for sure.

Also i can tell you now the 200KG heavier JZA80 is superiour in handeling (and everything else except insurance)
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 4 door shoepra is a cressida.

JZX81 front cut, bolts straight in, 2JZ needs a little bit of modding to go in from there Smile

Eldar.O.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont you buy a jzx90 and do it up for that kind of money?

i dont get it Sad

and im going to agree with the woeful commodore handling...feels like ya trying to steer a log of wood.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldn't the supra have a weight advantage over the VN? jza80s only weigh around 1450kg don't they?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Sun, 23 October 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 09:40

wouldn't the supra have a weight advantage over the VN? jza80s only weigh around 1450kg don't they?

and VN's only wiegh 1310-1350kg for a basic one.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They do handle good cause they have "RTS" Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 09:46

Evil_Foetus wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 09:40

and VN's only wiegh 1310-1350kg for a basic one.

And 1450kg is for the N/A. The Turbo model is 1510kg I think (def over 1.5 tons, but a touch lighter than a JZA70).

I've never been in a VN, but I've been in a VX Commodore, and that thing is horrid. I don't think a set of shocks and dampers would fix the supension dynamics on one of those. Soft ride though. Could almost fall asleap behind the wheel of that thing (especialy with crapomatic transmisions and power steering that's wound up so high you have zero feedback from the road)
The Supra SZ I took for a spin was SO much nicer, and it was in questionable condition too.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goddamn there are some morons on boostcruising...

and that VN looks like shit...nice engine tho Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steering rack and feedback was slowly fixed on the commodores from VY onwards, you say the ride soft then say springs and shocks wouldn't fix it they'd go a long way to improving it though (throw in some sway bars, strut braces factory fitment from VY Series 2). The commodores are very reliant on mechanical grip and lean (stock suspension) very hard on the outside front when cornering, they can be pretty damn quick but don't necessarily inspire the confidence to drive hard.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote: Rona Racing Team

Steering rack and feedback was slowly fixed on the commodores from VY onwards, you say the ride soft then say springs and shocks wouldn't fix it they'd go a long way to improving it though (throw in some sway bars, strut braces factory fitment from VY Series 2). The commodores are very reliant on mechanical grip and lean (stock suspension) very hard on the outside front when cornering, they can be pretty damn quick but don't necessarily inspire the confidence to drive hard.

Great review there Rona, good to have someone so knowledgable and well driven on the forums Wink
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 13:31

Shocks and dampers would go a long way to fixing it, but there's something about it that I can't put my finger on that screams "I WILL NEVER HANDLE WELL!". But who knows, I could be wrong. All I know is the Supra SZ also felt fairly soft, but responded a lot better and yeah, it inspired quick cornering. Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona's Final Thought

well I can certainly sleep a lot easier now thanks to "rona's final thought"
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found from my brief experiences in the mighty H.M.A.S. VN that pirates like to attack the Captain and they rip fullah hektikz single spinnahz
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm, wat if they slapped it with lexen badges Rolling Eyes
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe its the geometry of the suspension that makes it handle badly ?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 15:15

mmm, wat if they slapped it with lexen badges Rolling Eyes

Then its good Wink
Just kidding, what were toyota thinking!

Glad to hear i'm not the only one that dislikes VN handeling.

Corona RT142: your post further up explains alot about why the VN was so bad!

I'm not totally bagging out the VN, they do have abit of poke.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Mon, 24 October 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agreee that VNs *suck*. I used to drive one for work. Apart from the engine (wont go there; not relevant to this thread) and the zero-feedback featherlight steering, it handled like a boat (bad, bad geometry) and the build quality was horrible.

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Tue, 25 October 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 01:02

I agreee that VNs *suck*. I used to drive one for work. Apart from the engine (wont go there; not relevant to this thread) and the zero-feedback featherlight steering, it handled like a boat (bad, bad geometry) and the build quality was horrible.

Apparently Toyota actualy complained about the build quality to Holden when they did the Lexen thing.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Tue, 25 October 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not saying that the 2jz commo this thread is about is a decent car. I agree it looks like shit. I am only putting my opinions about VN's which relates to the one my dad owned and modified. It was not a bad car. One of my friends brothers has a vn wagon and that is a scary piece of crap.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Tue, 25 October 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 11:41

im not saying that the 2jz commo this thread is about is a decent car. I agree it looks like shit. I am only putting my opinions about VN's which relates to the one my dad owned and modified. It was not a bad car. One of my friends brothers has a vn wagon and that is a scary piece of crap.

Fair enough.
But it's still not a great base to work off. Spend that money on a Supra getting it to handle well and you'll have a much better car. However the inital purchase of a Supra is a lot more, but I degress.
I just don't like Commodores (appart from VLs, but even then).
Compare a decent JZA70 to your dad's VN though. I think you'll find the Supra blows the Commodore away. Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Tue, 25 October 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you need to cart 2 kids, the wife and 8 bags of shopping around while racing every Tom, Dick and Harry then get the Commodore with the JayZee.

If you want some class, are prepared to eat out and have a nanny pick the kids up from school, get the JZA80 Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Tue, 25 October 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 15:32

Compare a decent JZA70 to your dad's VN though. I think you'll find the Supra blows the Commodore away. Razz

Key word, otherwise its a boat race. Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: All the power of a supra but with the practicality of a 4 door Tue, 25 October 2005 05:51 Go to previous message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 15:20

Shraka wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 15:32

Key word, otherwise its a boat race. Razz

damn straight

chuck the rona in the mix and they would never have a chance...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:whats happened to this car
Next Topic:Supras Invade Las Vegas ** Im in Vegas woohoo **
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:41:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072879791259766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.