http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5327/back9dz.jpg
2L 6 cylinder, 3 spd Auto
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3746/donk6hn.jpg
very nice interior, gold door panels, seats and dash Cool
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4260/int6ja.jpg
2 months rego

ITs a fine car
all ill do is flush the radiator, and then it should be better,
It was an old womans for 20 years, she whammed the shed door, hence the dinger, and then went off to the nursing home, as she was unsafe to be on the road.
But
It has gearbox problems
the order from the top , T bar it is, P R N d-2-l i think,
It drives between P and R and drives in Neutral.
But it wont reverse,
When its in P, and accelerator applied it feels like its being held back, its not revving freely.
i couldnt find any rods to giggle, from a possible shaft from the gearbox attatched to the rod, as i was told adjusting may fix the problem (i am not mechanically minded at all)

So bar driving around with no reverse, i cant do anything

I want to know what sort of gearboxes (manual) are a straight simple attatch to this motor, and will fit without hassle (of cause i wont do it)?

Or what sort of other things has anyone who may have one of these cars has done .
?

that was a copy
but just the other day i went to an auto tranny place and they said it most likely needs a complete overhaul, $880 Bucks Laughing
Not for me

I went to the wreckers then, and they said they had one box that was from a Crown of the same motor/box, so that would fit also, about $220 for that. BUT they said if it was stuffed, that i can return it for a refund.

So, me with not much mechanical knowledge, (ive only fiddled minorly with my mini that i have), How hard would it be to take out this gearbox, and whack in a possible 'better' auto one. Is it a greatly involved process? but im willing to have a go.

I really want to get the car going well, cause its so nice and 'tuff' Shocked Cool hahaha.
Without spending too much

I took it for a drive the other night actually, only had it 5-6 days, hadnt driven it,
I was going to use it as a daily driver, as i am getting work done to my mini, And when i bought it everything was good, but somehow the tranny stuff itself on the way home?
But i took it out and did some donuts in the bush on the dirt Mad cause i was quite annoyed and it was fun, it is the only way to get the wheels spinning, as it is so gutless Surprised
yet its a ripper

thanks for any help or not

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 12:29]

Send a private message to this user    
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: MY Corona gearbox problem, what will fit, what can be done? Fri, 21 October 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's hot! I love Mark II coronas! If I ever found one, I'd buy it. As far as the gearbox is concerned, I'm no expert on crowns/coronas, but there is no reason it wouldn't bolt up to an early crown gearbox. I suspect they are the same.

Replacing a gearbox isn't that hard, but if you are not mechanically minded, you night want some help, at the very least from a mate who doesn't mind grunt work.

Have fun with it, but don't kill her: They are pretty damn rare!
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MY Corona gearbox problem, what will fit, what can be done? Fri, 21 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any MS Crown, MS55, MS65, bellhousing will fit, and just get an old RA series Celica steelcase 5 speed gearbox.
You will need the manual pedal, clutch and brake from a manual version of your car. You will also need a clutch master and slave cylinder. When installing the box, you will also have to bridge the neutral start wires, which should be at your auto shifter.

Tailshaft, should be the same, auto or 5 speed.

I had a 1974 crown, was 4 speed, did a quick 5 speed conversion, made a hell of a difference on cruise.

cheers Chuck.

Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: MY Corona gearbox problem, what will fit, what can be done? Fri, 21 October 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To go manual you will also have to cut about an inch out of the rear of the tunnel as the shifter does not line up.
You will need clutch and flywheel too, as well as the piping.

Its a pity i threw out a good working auto trans for one of these about 2 weeks ago.

They're a beautiful car, but i have to say i dont really like the rear lights on the 72, they look very squashed in. Razz

Cheers!
-Phil

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MY Corona gearbox problem, what will fit, what can be done? Sat, 22 October 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uncracked dash pad - swoit!

The only issue converting to manual would be finding a manual pedal box - pretty hard nowadays.

Otherwise, Celica steel case 5 speed with a bellhousing from a 4 speed Crown, flywheel, etc.

I honestly can't remember if the length of the tailshaft is different between autos and manuals.

If this sounds like too much work, then the cheapo $220 auto is the go. Easy enough to do, the only issue is the weight of the auto so get a mate to help. Then it's just a matter of lining up the selector. Unfortunately these autos are getting long in the tooth, and the main problem is that you won't be able to engage reverse at all.
Some Cressidas have a 4 speed auto (with overdrive) that doesn't need an ECU to control the solenoids - might be worth investigating one of these if you wish to stay auto - the overdrive is nice on cruise.
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: MY Corona gearbox problem, what will fit, what can be done? Sat, 22 October 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 11:37

I honestly can't remember if the length of the tailshaft is different between autos and manuals.

Theyre the same Smile

Cheers
-Phil
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: MY Corona gearbox problem, what will fit, what can be done? Sat, 22 October 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, i live in devonport. i know exactly what you need. come round to my place and i'll show you. i've had 5 of these cars so i know what i'm doing. i've got a manual gearbox for it, but you'll need a flywheel, and clutch, which i can give you. i reckon i'll even have a clutch pedal for it, you don't need a pedal box. i have a spare motor in the backyard cause i'm replacing it with a 1uz-fe. email me at joecool@tasmail.com.
CAMEL
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: My Mk II Corona problems Mon, 24 October 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well

Today i started the monster up
put it in reverse, and it went backwards Shocked
then forward gear
and then it wouldnt return to reverse Mad
So it was a silly thing.

But, also the owners manual says the cooling system capacity is 10.7 litres, yet i cannot fit more than 5.5L of fluid in there, It seems as if there is a cooling system circulation problem, yet id have no idea Cool

So, is that all the fluid that should get in the system, or is there a blockage somewhere?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My Mk II Corona problems Mon, 24 October 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just wonder if there is some issue with the linkage.

There is probably 5 or so litres in the block. I recommend you start it, fill it with water allow it to get to operating temp (ie allow the thermostat to open) and top up the level if there is a drop.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My Mk II Corona problems Mon, 24 October 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look for a free dead 7m-ge rebuild it and attach a w58 OR drive to melb pick up a free 5m-LPG with w50 5 speed Smile

ideal if you are ok with going LPG...

Allan
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: My Mk II Corona problems Mon, 24 October 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Het dude, Ive got a 4m 2.6 and 4 spd mk2, im in Burnie.
Very rough body but mechanicals are good.
PM me if youre interested.

Cheers
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: My Mk II Corona problems Tue, 25 October 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey enchanter, is it a four door or two door?
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: My Mk II Corona problems Tue, 25 October 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tiz a 4 door

Here, enjoy an image of the piece of ..... erm art.
Would have been quite a good car in its day.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b271/lsddrift/greenmachine.jpg

CAMEL
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: My Mk II Corona problems Sun, 30 October 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i put this forsale on a few local internet forums and here,

because i didnt want to keep spending cash on it.
due to the problem gearbox

BUT
this weekend i was just fiddling, not with anything, just sitting in it and hoping it would go Laughing Cool
and fair dinkum
it works now
no hassles Confused

how ridiculous.

so now ive got some nice green stuff in the radiator,

and maybe i dont want to sell it

but if someone gets the cash id sell it.

The trouble is , no one will insure it Mad no cover at all!

So i will not drive it on extended periods on the road.

I suppose cause its old and cheap, they dont want to have anythingto do with it,
theres hardly any rust at all for its age and its easily fixed,
they ddint like the door dinger, even though i basically pushed it all back out now,
such bullshit Mad
Its a perfectly fine car

Actually

Whats with the seat belts in these cars Confused
Mine are broken
the belts are all tied around the buckle, surely they didnt come out like that.
Mr Enchanter do you still have seatbelts in that car

Cause with the bad seat belts in my corona in the event of an accident, cops/insurance will go all stupid about the current ones i have.

What an interesting car!

shocked me
put the boot down in it
it pulls a touch over 70 miles in 2nd, how bloody stupid, and if you were interested in buying it, you didnt read that Very Happy
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: My Mk II Corona problems Sun, 30 October 2005 11:28 Go to previous message
Yeah the car has everything apart from a front passenger window and some front panels, (I moved house and buggered if I know where they ended up).

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age: 2" vs 2 1/4" exhaust
Next Topic:MR2 Suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:04:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055100917816162 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.