Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:13 Go to next message
Hi yall,

Shes been looking for a while now, and doesnt really know what she wants... Almost bought a skyline wagon, but diddnt on advice of a mechanic...Anyway, she wants but doesnt matter if it aint a wagon, same with 4 doors, prefer it, but can live without it.Also reputaion of being reliable.. shes got 3-4 grand to spend, more for a great car. I just need suggestions, I would love it if she got a toyota, but thats just me!

Andy
  Send a private message to this user    
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hyundai excel is a great wee car
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd suggest something along the lines of a ae82 twinky. cheap to run, small and reliable. can't go wrong Wink
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEXY 16 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 17:14

DIE! These things suck. The breaks are captain lockupy, and the engine is a hunk of crap. Also with a heavy load it's likely to spin under some fairly average driving (happened to me). Also likes to aquaplain (also happened to me). The Lancer was FAR superior, and had more space. Although I wouldn't advise a lancer. Perhaps a Camry or Corolla? Honda Civic?

My suggestion would be for a NSX Type R, but that's just me. Cool
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pics of prospective buyer will help with suggestions.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a sexy st162 celica. cheap reliable and good looks...everything a girl should have
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swift gti's are about that price altho not toyota they are a pretty cool package. They are small and will be good on the fuel all the things girls are interested in
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nissan patrol
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with 86slut

we need to see this girl and also some background details.

we cant have a hotty ina piece of crap or vice versa.

cheers scott
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Holden Barina or Astra or Vectra. Parts are available everywhere, they can be serviced all over the country, they perform well. Second habd prices of these cars aren't too bad either and should be affordable for a young chick.

seeyuzz
river
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would recommend AE92.. with 4AFE?

they are a little better and newer than AE82, but not much more expensive.

has enough poke to get around, but not enough to get into trouble, car looks ok.... and pretty reliable if you find one that hasn't been thrashed by a toymode-r

and it retains it's value, i spose..

AE82.. clunky, square, sucks Razz

heh heh
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 17:20

DIE! These things suck. The breaks are captain lockupy, and the engine is a hunk of crap. Also with a heavy load it's likely to spin under some fairly average driving (happened to me). Also likes to aquaplain (also happened to me). The Lancer was FAR superior, and had more space. Although I wouldn't advise a lancer. Perhaps a Camry or Corolla? Honda Civic?

you have no idea what you are talking about shraka
i sell about 3 to 4 of these little gems a week
most with dealer warranty to kids
i never see them again they never break and are cheap as and our security company has 10 of them all with 250k plus
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This will proberly cause a bit of flack, but at my age who cares.
20yo girl. first car, small, reliable & cheap to run.
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2857/redcar7wp.jpg
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd suggest something newer, girls dont generally check water/oil tyres and what not.

and excells arent bad cars we own an 86 (first model) excell with 200,000k's on the clock and its still going strong....

only when a ricer gets a hold of it is when it all goes down hill
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEXY 16 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 19:35

Shraka wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 17:20

you have no idea what you are talking about shraka
i sell about 3 to 4 of these little gems a week
most with dealer warranty to kids
i never see them again they never break and are cheap as and our security company has 10 of them all with 250k plus

I don't know what I'm talking about?
I drove a 1990 model manual with a carby that had 200k on the clock for about two years so I speak from experience.
- The breaks lock up easily, especialy on the back.
- In an emergency with about 300kg of people in the car it handles like total shit.
- With old tyres the thing isn't so happy in the wet.

Now compared to the Lancer (1992 model, 1.5 carby manual no PS with 170,000 on the clock):
- The Excel was VERY uncomfortable. The Lancer was much better.
- The Lancers torque delivery was far superior, even though it was a heavier car. This made it much easier to drive.
- General steering dynamics where better and much safer in the Lancer especialy in the wet.
- The breaks where better (although once hot, they suffered from fade pretty badly)
- The Lancer was bigger with more space.
- The Lancer had air con. Razz (yes I know this has nothing to do with it)
- The Lancer got slightly better economy under normal use (and way better economy under heavy use - untill the valve stem seals went)
- One thing going for the Excel was the engine was in better condition. But considering that my mother drove the excel up to about 190K kms (slowly and carefully, she used to treat the car pretty well and had done engine overhauls on her old car so knew her way around 'em) and I didn't keep the Lancer properly serviced, the Lancer did remarkably well. Razz

That was a comparison of a 1990 base model manual Excel with a carby and a 1992 CB Lancer GL manual with a carby and air con (both with no PS). Different models may be different, I'm not sure. But the breaks on the two cars (atleast) seem to be similar to these models right up till later in the 90s.

How about you post up your experiences with driving an Excel daily and your observations about their characteristics in emergency situations and general comfort levels huh? Rather than just saying "oh we sell them so they must be good!"

If this girl wants a comfortable car (And she probably will soon even if she sais she doesn't mind now) then I'd avoid the excel. If she wants something that is easy to drive with some passengers i'd avoid the AE82 w/ 4A-C in auto as they don't have much pulling power (ex's Corolla, not so great). I also found the AE82 a little uncomfortable as a driver and passenger.

So really the question is, what does she want? Comfort? Ease of drive? Power? Looks? Reliability? Space?

Appart from reliability the CC or CD Lancer is pretty good on most of those fronts. I managed to pop 2 clutches on my CB but that'll be 'cuz of the way I drive. The AE92 is also good, but dunno about comfort (never been in one).
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Mon, 24 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Break lockups and poor handling would both stem from the poor tyres that you had on the car...

Anyways, back on topic.

A corolla csx twin cam is a pretty good choice. If she can get over the looks of the thing an AE82 SECA twincam is a good car.

They handle ok, are cheap to run, mildly amusing, reliable and with the back seats folded could carry just about anything.

Either that or an AW11 MR2. Its small, impractical, a little dangerous and a hell of a lot of fun Smile

The ST162 celica is also suprisingly practical, especially if there is usually only one or two people in the car. With the seats folded they can hold quite a bit of crap. Make sure you get the 3sge version Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 09:51

Break lockups and poor handling would both stem from the poor tyres that you had on the car...

No. The aquaplaining was due to bad tyres. They where then replaced by my mother with brand new tyres. It was the handling after the replacement that i'm talking about.

The AE82 is also uncomfortable, atleast I found it was. The seats are hard, an odd shape and to small. The seating position is a little strange, and without the back seats folded down, there isn't much boot space. Lancer was much more comfortable with far more space. Again I wouldn't advise getting a 4A-C either. I dunno about for comfort, but for reliability, economy and just general driveability the AE92 with 4A-FE would be better. I've got a mate who has one, perhaps I should take it for a spin... although it's auto. Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For that kinda money a swift or Barina probably aren't too bad, if she could save some more i reckon the best bet would be something like a starlet. My next door neighbour had a chick bring one into his work shop, had enough oil in it to fill a spagetti can and had been like that for quite a while he checked it out it was fine, did a general service and the car hasn't missed a beat. Wink
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell her she must get a Sprinter or die! We need more girls drifting damn it! Razz

Besides we all know they are a girls car Laughing

*runs*

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 03:25]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indi wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 13:24

2nd'ed Very Happy
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thank for all the helpful and not so helpful suggestions,
we found a 68 corolla, with a new 4K engine dropped in 25000 ks ago, reliable car? I know the engine should be allright, but how does the bidy fair?

thanks guys
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on her budget.
I'd be checking out:
Mazda 121/323/626 (AKA Ford Laser/Ford Telstar)
Mazda MX6 V6
Celica
Prelude or Integra
Corolla, Starlet, maybe Camry if she wants something bigger
Swift
Baleno
Not a huge fan of hyundai or mitsubishi, but maybe a lancer or mirage.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Integras are cool. Razz
She'd have to be flexable or small though. They don't fit big people in them comfortably.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shudders* hyundai lancers and mitsubishi lancers!

I hear nothing but bad shit about those two cars. how flimsy they are, how thin the sheetmetal is and how bad they are in a crash, how unreliable they are. The hyundai is prolly the best to come form korea, but i'd still put the crappest of japan (the lancer) a level above the excel. Mum used to drive an older lancer, and she aquaplaned off a bridge (tires), the handeling was twitchy ashell and ready to flick the tail out on a FWD!! (must of been something seriously wrong with it's suspension to be that way, if it was stock yikes!!

Then she buaght an older sv21 camry i test drove and straight away could notice the superior engineering in this a basic car! 280,000km's later and it's pretty much the same Razz

Enuf dribble from me. *moral is just get a toyota* (or even a honda or nissan)
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 17:08

*shudders* hyundai lancers and mitsubishi lancers!

As rove would say WHAT THE. Won't comment on the reliability as never owned one but they are pretty exy on insurance for a small car.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SVX10, i.e. 93/94 widebody camry/holden apollo, you cannot go wrong with this car, not as common as the ae82 twinky, but alot more room, and its sexier Smile and it has 5sfe engine, possible 3sgte upgrade Wink avaliable in wagon too, and 4WD wagon i think...

Eldar.O.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 10:22

The AE82 is also uncomfortable, atleast I found it was. The seats are hard, an odd shape and to small.

I found the AE82 fine, wasnt uncomfortable or anything... and I'm 6"3 tall as well... the seats arent too small, were you driving some mystical version that doesn't exist?

Seats are plenty comfy enough (my prev. car was a soarer, just for comparison), they just need some more bolstering on the sides.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
St162

its got it all for a 20y/o chick... looks, power, comfort, etc.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops ADD must of kicked in there corona, dam concentration levels really suck sometimes.

yeah my vote goes to the st162 celica perfect all rounder, agile responsive car with good looks even by todays standards i reckon, and the 3sge is a gutsy little engine with some balls (moderatly satisfying) and reliable.

Its interesting comparing it to other 4cyl engines out today power wise the 3sge still keeps up and in some cases still puts out more hp/litre, perhaps this has alot to do with stricter emissions? Anyway it seems to beat the holden vectra no prob.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 18:02

Shraka wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 10:22

The AE82 is also uncomfortable, atleast I found it was. The seats are hard, an odd shape and to small.

I found the AE82 fine, wasnt uncomfortable or anything... and I'm 6"3 tall as well... the seats arent too small, were you driving some mystical version that doesn't exist?

Seats are plenty comfy enough (my prev. car was a soarer, just for comparison), they just need some more bolstering on the sides.

Perhaps your tolerance for comfort is broader than mine.

As far as comfort goes for the cars I've driven:
MA71 Supra (The Supra wins as I found the lack of feedback through the wheel and sloppyness of the suspension in the commodore uncomfortable)
VX Commodore
S13 Silvia (SR20DET and CA18DET variants)
DC2 VTiR Integra
MA61 Supra (more room than teg, but not as smooth)
1989 Honda Prelude
CB Lancer
AE82 Corolla
1990 Excel
AE86 Sprinter (To be fair, the one I drove had leaves falling on my head, and the spark plug leads kept falling out)

How about an AE92 Levin if she wants a Corolla that looks a bit better than the hatch? I know of one for sale. Wink They're newer than the ST162, looks better IMHO, but has a slightly smaller engine. Probably more economical tho.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 13:40]

corona crew
Regular

July 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u nkow wat ive noticed?, ive noticed most ideas u guys have offered arent in the 3-4 grand price range. I've also noticed no pics of the said driver Wink
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hyundai Excel, Barina, Corolla, Laser/323.
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hyudais are ok . they does the farken smokeist burnouts of any 4 cyl bar none and are super fun on dirt.
but when it comes to stopping or emergency they dont mesure up .
yeah sure try and argue if you want but i have owned three hyundais mk2excel,coupe,wrc accent and switched to toyota after i wiped my last one, a wrc accent all over a bus .
i have tested my st162 in the same place as i smashed and with king springs and stock brakes have found it to out handle and out stop any{ex hotted/modded} hyundai ive ever driven. even though the accent was newer and a little quicker it let me down when i most needed it.go an st162 but get the nrma to check it or somthing ive bought 3 and 3 were thrased beyond belief.
although i spose you get what you pay for!
ps they are shit stock height so get one lowered or leave cash to lower it your self
lasers are good reliable shitters too

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 16:32]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LANCER: CRAP
EXCEL: CRAP

dont actually pay for either car, and consider seriously before accepting one for free.

also dont get an integra, MOST UNCOMFORTABLE THING IN THE WORLD. its about as tight in there as a s2000. unless you are REALLY small can u fit in one comfortably. getting out is not an easy task. and the seating position is so vertical. your almost lying down.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulst162 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 02:31

a wrc accent all over a bus .

your not one of them people that puts a wrx scoop, canon and HEKTIC body kit on the excel are you.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:14

dont actually pay for either car, and consider seriously before accepting one for free.

also dont get an integra, MOST UNCOMFORTABLE THING IN THE WORLD. its about as tight in there as a s2000. unless you are REALLY small can u fit in one comfortably. getting out is not an easy task. and the seating position is so vertical. your almost lying down.

I'd have to agree there, it was very uncomfortable to sit in the rear of my aunties, my bro sat in the same model as Shraka's at the motorshow a long time ago the left indicator would be turned on by our knee and err the right one couldn't be turned on at all.

Plus where missing the point the car has to be under 4k hmmm yep plenty of integra's there Rolling Eyes
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:24

Plus where missing the point the car has to be under 4k hmmm yep plenty of integra's there Rolling Eyes

dude, its called a topic hijak
Laughing Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Tue, 25 October 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:35

Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:24

dude, its called a topic hijak
Laughing Laughing

No shit but where ment to be helping, why are we even talking about infidel honda's anyway Razz
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Wed, 26 October 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:14

Excel is crap, the Lancer is better. You can get an okay Lancer for under $4000.

I find my integra far more comfortable than an AE82. And yes the DC2 is small on the inside. And ahh, I think you mean horizontal. Virtical would mean you're sitting up. And with my long legs, I have to sit up pretty straight in the Integra.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Wed, 26 October 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah good celica ST162's can be had for under $4000,
I just got one for $2000, but becuase my friend wanted the mags and a few other bits off it i got the celica for $777 :)-

We've propsed some good cars to check out.
paulst162
Regular

April 2005
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Wed, 26 October 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:19

your not one of them people that puts a wrx scoop, canon and HEKTIC body kit on the excel are you.

Laughing what part of wrc dont you understand
the excel was purley for thrashing yes i had a small cannon but it also had a vr4 engine so i guess it was fried rice with prawns eventually fried + couldnt register +no engineers
no body kit on excel people got a shock thrrrrrrrwarrr psssh smoke and and so on ,ne one from the maitland area would remember the crash it was out the front of toyota
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Wed, 26 October 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulst162 wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 11:53

illuminatus wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 09:19

Laughing what part of wrc dont you understand
the excel was purley for thrashing yes i had a small cannon but it also had a vr4 engine so i guess it was fried rice with prawns eventually fried + couldnt register +no engineers
no body kit on excel people got a shock thrrrrrrrwarrr psssh smoke and and so on ,ne one from the maitland area would remember the crash it was out the front of toyota

So the truth comes out, you say they rip sick burnouts but failed before to mention it had a VR4 motor in it. I doubt for 4K you'd get that kinda package and the stock motor ain't really gonna rip it up (and who does FWD burnouts anyway).
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Wed, 26 October 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 13:46

Indi wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 13:24

2nd'ed Very Happy

oh wat! dam this girly 4agze Confused
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: Suggestions for a car for 20 yr old girl. Sat, 29 October 2005 07:57 Go to previous message
andyroo wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 15:47

Hey thank for all the helpful and not so helpful suggestions,
we found a 68 corolla, with a new 4K engine dropped in 25000 ks ago, reliable car? I know the engine should be allright, but how does the bidy fair?

thanks guys

Class wins! Razz

Cool Car, but I am biased!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Volkswagen's new Twincharger engine
Next Topic:Trueno kouki bumper - anyone w prac experience PM me
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:20:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072500705718994 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar