Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Mac Help! Sat, 22 October 2005 18:06 Go to next message
Hello All,

My mate lent me his mini Mac and I'm just learning how to use OS X, anyway, is there a way to get rid of the partition hard disks? If so how do I do it?

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Mac Help! Sat, 22 October 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 04:06

Hello All,

My mate lent me his mini Mac and I'm just learning how to use OS X, anyway, is there a way to get rid of the partition hard disks? If so how do I do it?

do you want to repartition the disk into less or more partitions? getting rid of partitions would simply mean you loose the disk space.

and why do you want to change disk partitions?

anyway, you use the Disk Utility - you obviously can't do it to a disk you've booted up from and repartitioning will loose all the data on the disk.

There are probaby dynamic repartioning tools out there for mac (like Partition Magic for PCs) but i've never used them and would feel much saver backing up a disk to another location, repartioning & reformatting then restoring the data - a much simpelr and safer solution.

If you boot up from the install disk, the DIsk Utility is available to you in the installer interface.

On a running system, the Disk Utility app. is in the Utilities directory under the Applications directory.

you'll need to be an adminstrator for the system to allow you to change disk partitions.

oh - are you doing this with OS X version 10.4 or 10.3

cheers,
Charles.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Mac Help! Sun, 23 October 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I am running is OS X Tiger... Apparently you press some key at boot to get the disk utilities to come up... but which one... I don't know...

Cheers.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Mac Help! Tue, 25 October 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hard disk shouldn't be partitioned unless he did it himself.
To remove the partitions, just boot up from the system CD that came with the computer, then run disk utility over the drive and set how many partitions you want.
This will erase all the data though, so better hope your mate doesn't want his data!
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Mac Help! Tue, 25 October 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youshould be able to access a prompt by pressing OPTION and S at the same time when the apple comes up on boot...

i could be wrong, but thats how i remember it
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Mac Help! Tue, 25 October 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 21:45

What I am running is OS X Tiger... Apparently you press some key at boot to get the disk utilities to come up... but which one... I don't know...

err ... no -

you can hold down some keys to choose which partition to boot from (if they're all bootable), or to boot up into single-user mode - but not the disk utilities - that's a GUI application that need the OS loaded and running for it to load.

Perhaps you are confusing a PC which lets you stops after the BIOS has loaded so you can low-level format disks and change boot order? this is not a mac thing.

LIke Ribfeast says, you boot off an install CD if you want to repartition the boot HD.

Why do you want to re-partition the disk?
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Mac Help! Wed, 26 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous message
If you want to choose an alternate drive to boot from, just hold down Option at startup and you should be presented with a purple/blue screen that lets you pick a drive/CD etc.
Apple-S at startup lets you go straight to the unix terminal - no good for partitioning the disk as you have booted from it!
Apple-V lets you see what the system is doing behind the scenes.
Booting from your original discs is the only way.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:why do so many people have "turd" in their log in names??
Next Topic:Commodore haters look within
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:36:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042448043823242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.