Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Leigh AE71
Occasional Poster

July 2005
SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Wed, 26 October 2005 06:03 Go to next message
Hey i'm looking for info on how other people have mounted their SR20 into a corolla. I'm stuck on that point at the moment and I've heard about so many ways to mount them. So if someone can help me out here that would be great.
Thanks, Leigh.
  Send a private message to this user    
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Wed, 26 October 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erm.. with custom crossmembers and mounts?

im not too sure on this one...
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Wed, 26 October 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how many ways can you mount them? Ignore any suggestions that involve wire or zip ties (stay out of this shinybluesteel).
NeDiC
Regular

March 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Thu, 27 October 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u need custom engine mounts and b/box crossmember mounts, or u can mount straight to the chassis, i had mine made up by mr enforcer engineering, he had to modify the engine crossmember, modify the engine mounts themselves and the g/box x memba
Leigh AE71
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Sun, 30 October 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The S13 crossmember bolts into the corolla if you file out the bolt holes a few mm. It sat the engine perfect in the engine bay, it cleared the bonnet and had just enough room for the heater hoses at the back of the engine. The problem we then encounted was the corolla trans tunnel is actually offset a few cm's to the drivers side so there was no way we could get a gearbox behind it like that. Were going to spend all day tomorrow on it so we should hopefully have the engine and box in the car.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Sun, 30 October 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and how does the S13 gear affect track?
Leigh AE71
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Sun, 30 October 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We were going to re-drill the crossmember where the lca bolts to it because were also doing the S13 front suspension and brakes as well. But I'm not sure if we are going to use the S13 crossmember anyway.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2005 12:47]

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Sun, 30 October 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 01:33

and how does the S13 gear affect track?

It "should" be pretty close, from the photos of the S13 IRS fitted to an AE86 the rear track seemed about right so front would be similar. Nothing a set of flares wouldn't fix, matching up the steering column may require a little bit of work though. Thats where I was real lucky with my Starlet, lined up and bolted together perfectly with the Carina rack.

Callum
Leigh AE71
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Mon, 31 October 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using the silvia crossmember, got it all mounted up just before. Yeah we have to get a custom steering uni made because the silvia rack has a bigger input than the corolla rack. I'm about to bolt the LCA's and hubs on so i'll see how wide the track is then.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Mon, 31 October 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks..

any pics of side by side of KE70 and siliva front endy bits possible??

/me having even more eville thoughts Wink
Leigh AE71
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Mon, 31 October 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The silvia crossmember is already in the car, and what did you want me to take a photos of exactly. Warning the photos will be taken with my camera phone.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Mon, 31 October 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking along the lines of cross-member, LCA's, steerign arms, rack and tierods as a unit.... next to each other...

i know a KE70 front end fits where i want it to go.. but the S13 adds a few different options for brakes...

is ok.. i'll find out when the time comes Very Happy
Leigh AE71
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: SR20 into AE71 - engine mounts? Mon, 31 October 2005 08:03 Go to previous message
When I drop it all out next i'll take some photos, probably in the next few days.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA 61 supra head gasket
Next Topic:Reverse a goner. What gearboxes fit a 1JZ cressida?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 02:45:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060369968414307 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.