Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 02:11 Go to next message
wheres the sensor and how to i unhook it before removing the airbag wheel on a SW20???? i dont want to get punched in the face by a rogue airbag obviously..
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to know this on a celsior too as my mate is getting his steering wheel retrimmed...

soz for hijack hamagamagatan
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah ur right dude.. Smile this is an area i dont think has been covered off much and really should be..

i dont believe the old unplug the battery and wait 5 minutes trick works.. im pretty sure theres a redundant switch/fuse somewhere that needs removing.. even though i found something about late model hippy car prius airbag removal online.. but this sure aint a prius!
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its illegal to start of with
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ko Ko wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 15:21

Its illegal to start of with

ok thanks for that...

didnt see where it said "is it illegal to remove an airbag steering wheel?"

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He's just trying to help.
But he's right, you remove it, your insurance will be void.
Unless of course, you are just removing it, get it retrimmed, and putting it back on.

Surely you could just remove the fuse?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would also look into retrimming, this may be illegal also.
and its best to find the workshop manual for your car, maybe ask at a toyota dealership cause different makes/models have different procedures. ive heard of static setting them off.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 15:41

Unless of course, you are just removing it, get it retrimmed, and putting it back

that was the plan mang...

i wanna be sure that just removing the fuse will be ok before we remove the wheel and have a massive BANG go off

lol
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly -

In Western Australia it is not Illegal. You can put an aftermarket wheel on as per the specifications listed on the DPI Website.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/myvehicle/safe/ modifications/altsteer.html

Secondly -

It doesn't void my insurance. I clearly checked this with Western QBE Prior to purchasing the wheel and adding it to my insurance items covered. I asked them am i physically allowed to have the aftermarket steering wheel as a replacement to my airbag wheel, to which they answered 'Yes. Provided that it is correctly and properly installed, is not illegal and does not come off in the event of an accident, you are allowed to have it'

The MOMO Wheel exceeds the minimum spec of diameter (350mm), is ADR Compliant and perfectly permissable to be used in the vehicle. Ive checked, double checked and triple checked this.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very very very strange.

Have you got this in writing from the insurance company?
If not, get it.

I find it VERY hard to believe that they let you remove safety equipment from your car, and not replace it with something more safe (ie, removing retractable seatbelt and replacing it with harness)

Also, don't take the DPI website as gospel, most of that gets updated but the website never changes.
Have you spoken to someone at the DPI about it?
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good point Andrew.. that was my next move to get QBE to send me a letter confirming its ok. they said it was on the phone but i dont want to be the one to play chinese whispers with them when it comes to a claim..

ill give DPI a call now too..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get a letter from them saying its all hunky dory (also get them to check the install after you have done it, and get it noted on your papers - I know I can do this with RAC).

The last thing I'd want to happen is for an accident to occur, your head smash the wheel because the seatbelt failed, and the insurance company not pay out $50,000 worth of face reconstruction ARGH

That aside, how to remove it? I don't know.
Maybe check a TSRM?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: whats the trick to removing airbag toyota steering wheels? Wed, 26 October 2005 10:32 Go to previous message
just crash it into a wall!lmao be very careful.take it off and unplug it.then,no cant tell you the rest!lol to dangerous.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox adapter plate.
Next Topic:ke70 3sge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:05:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043590068817139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.