Toymods » Tech & Conversions » A/C problem...Any help appreciated

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 10:00 Go to next message
Hi everyone...
Just need a bit of help, opinions...
Just changed my a/c compressor today on my mr2 aw11.
There was heaps of gas (so i know there isnt any leaks Very Happy)
The clutch and the pulley was partially stuffed on my old compressor - hence it didnt work well and it made an annoying noise when running.
Today, i replaced it with a second hand one purchased from a jap parts place.
B4, with the old compressor...when i turned on the a/c, the little green led would light up and the car would kick up the revs...
After installing the new unit (clutch and pulley perfect) - the a/c led does not light up and the car does not kick up the revs...(yes both the white and blue clips have been plugged up properly Razz)
Im just wondering is it because the compressor is stuffed up electrically?
Or is it because it is completely out of gas and just needs some gas to kick it to life?

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 10:01]

Send a private message to this user    
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you've broken the seal on the closed system, I'm afraid all the gas will have escaped. You MUST replace the gas before the AC will even attempt to work.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you let the gas out?and did you put gas back in?
as you car cooling system wont work without fluid,ac systems dont work without gas.
mick
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 20:11

If you've broken the seal on the closed system, I'm afraid all the gas will have escaped. You MUST replace the gas before the AC will even attempt to work.

yeah of course..u have to remove the 2 heads of the ac piping which goes into the a/c compressor...so thats when the gas escaped...when i took off the old unit...EVERY bit of the gas was gone hehe
So u reckon it could be just gas?
But then im starting to think how does gas effect the a/c LED from comming on...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simple the ac cuts out on low or high pressure!you have low pressure so no worky.
mick
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 20:36

simple the ac cuts out on low or high pressure!you have low pressure so no worky.
mick

so the zero gas level can cause the a/c LED light not to light up?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i assume so as thats how most systems work!
mick
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll assume your a/c was still running the "old" R12 gas. If so then do you realise it is against the law to just "dump" the gas as it is ozone depleteing.

The a/c will need to be regassed for it to work. You will also need to change the receiver/drier and replace the o rings on any fittings you have undone.
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Wed, 26 October 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So having gas will make the a/c LED light up?
Yeah 2 o-rings replaced.
0 gas.
Mmm...if gas it just the case..i guess ill have it gased up 2moro...

Any1 else have an input into this a/c LED light thingy?
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Thu, 27 October 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BRAD W

Just wandering what the reason is for having to replace the drier? I have just pulled an A/C out of an Ra28 to put in my RA23 so the whole system is in pieces. Will i have any other probs to look out for?

Cheers, Pomey!

pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Thu, 27 October 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah with reference to the LED, co-incidently i did a bit of reading on automotive A/C today and i agree with others that the LED switch is dependant on pressure.

Some systems are fitted with a pressure switch instead of a thermostat to detect the cooling temp. When the selected temp is reached or not reached the pressure switch will open or close. This switch engages or dis-engages the compressor clutch (which starts the cooling process) so it more than likely switches the LED too.

Cheers, Pomey!
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Thu, 27 October 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pomey wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 17:53

BRAD W

Just wandering what the reason is for having to replace the drier? I have just pulled an A/C out of an Ra28 to put in my RA23 so the whole system is in pieces. Will i have any other probs to look out for?

Cheers, Pomey!

The job of the receiver/drier is to
1. Make sure that liquid is supplied to the TX valve
2. Filter the system and absorb any moisture in the system.

The second point is the reason why it needs to be changed. When the drier is exposed to air it starts absorbing moisture. That's why you fit the drier just before you are ready to gas it. The drier also filters the a/c system. An old drier can become blocked and cause the a/c not to work properly.
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Thu, 27 October 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welp..its official...the a/c compressor which i paid 150 for from a jap parts place is stuffed!!!! Mad
The air con dude that the place referred me too..came down to the parts place...oiled up my system, gased it up...n no luck...it was fugged.
All fuses and stuff were checked...the air con dude concluded that all a/c components on my car were in perfect working order and that it was the compressor that was at fault n that my car was a nice clean machine...cleanest he had seen Razz
Stupid parts place...wasted 3 hours yesterday getting dirty replacing the bitch...
So now i gotta wait around for them to get one in stock...

PFFFFFFFFTTT!!!!
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: A/C problem...Any help appreciated Fri, 28 October 2005 08:17 Go to previous message
Cheers Brad,

I had a feeling that would be the reasoning behind it but wanted to be sure.

Cheers, Pomey!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 Fuse box
Next Topic:3tgte...wirring in fuel pump...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:43:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005018949508667 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.