Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » mig or ark?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86 slide
Occasional Poster

December 2004
mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 10:27 Go to next message
i have searched and found alot of information about stich and spot welding seams in cars, one question i didnt find the answer to is, do you have to use a mig welder or can you just use an ark, i have access to an ark welder but not a mig, and from wat i understand they work on a simillar principle,
i was also wondering if there needs to be a specific distance between welds to work best,
thanks guys, jason
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if this is for doriftoing, just use rivets Wink

ARC welders are usually for thicker materials.. say.. 1mm and over... whereas MIG can do thinner panels with the correct wire and gas.

stiTch welding is not really warranted, and you have to strip the entire car bare to get to the places where it would be useful... maybe just make up some reinforcing bars/gussets etc and weld them in instead.. or weld in a tower to tower cage
ae86 slide
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is my drift car and yeah shes completly stripped, can an ark be turned down to do thinner metal, also ive heard some bad stuff bout riviting, prob just do the weld job
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARC

sure you can turn it down, but yu can only get sticks so thin and no thinner Razz

go talk to a specific welding shop and tell them what you want to do...

and seriously, the chances of you noticing the difference in drift is negligible....
Scootaphill
Regular

November 2004
Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIG welding is the way to go for you 0.6mm or 0.9mm max wire

ARC welding is not suitable for welding car panels it puts too much heat into the panels causing distortion from shrinkage (MIG can too if your not careful)im sure there will be someone out there telling you ARC welding panels is possible... i wouldnt do it and im a boilermaker!

Hire a MIG and do it right the first time

cheers

phill
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm new to the dorifto scene and having just picked up a mercedes sprintah I was looking to mod it ASAP.

I was starting with the body and of course this leads to the previous posts question about welding. I was told that if I plug weld my riveted seams that I would have results that would have been previously unknown to have existed. Perhaps even to the point that I won't need strut braces, roll cage or even teh famed coiloverz.

But seriously. Should I mix my riveting/welding genre, ie: stell chassis, stainless rivets and alloy welding (I've heard this can be done most sucessfully with my $99- supercheap gasless mig)

I was going to chop the roof as I thought while teh sprintah has good head room, it may be impeeding on it's performance having such a high centre of gravity. But Tony at the local chop shop said it would be fine. He also gave me a good deal on a 5M front cut, $2800- was pretty good value I thought.

Well must go, con is busy drilling the seams and riveting waits for no-one.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tig works best for seem welding.it burns the paint and glue from between the seems so you dont have to clean it out.quicker.
mick
bluehachi
Regular

September 2005
Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 20:52

ARC

sure you can turn it down, but yu can only get sticks so thin and no thinner Razz

go talk to a specific welding shop and tell them what you want to do...

and seriously, the chances of you noticing the difference in drift is negligible....

im afraid your wrong, seam welding really does stiffen up the chassis somewhat and is very noticeable.

forget arc welding, its messy, crude and leaves slag everywhere. Go borrow a mig (and not a gasless one either) and spend some time practising and then go for it.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 06:21

tig works best for seem welding.it burns the paint and glue from between the seems so you dont have to clean it out.quicker.
mick

I've always gone around the seams with an oxy and a wire brush first, then hit it with a MIG.

I've never heard of anyone using a TIG for seam welding - how on earth do you avoid weld contamination? It might burn the paint and seam sealer, but, unless you run an arc along the seam, then follow with a wire brush and then go back and weld, I can't see how you would get clean welds..
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIG would be fine for this. and not gasless.
0.8mm wire with argoshield mix will be ideal.
make sure you have the areas you want to mig clean - get a wire wheel on your drill/angle grinder and clean the area back to bare metal to ensure minimum spatter/mess during the weld. this will ensure good penetration and a solid weld.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: mig or ark? Wed, 26 October 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluehachi wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 07:08

im afraid your wrong, seam welding really does stiffen up the chassis somewhat and is very noticeable.

forget arc welding, its messy, crude and leaves slag everywhere. Go borrow a mig (and not a gasless one either) and spend some time practising and then go for it.

oh, i guess i'm wrong then..
how much improvement did you find in your lap times after seam welding compared to before?
how can you quantify the change in a drift sense?
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just subscribing.. i want to see where this one goes Smile

oh.. and yeah you can't arc it sucessfully, there are probably people out there who can but wouldn't.. and it isn't you...

ben: just wondering, why do you think for seam welding it would be harder to get a non-contaminated weld with a TIG than a MIG?

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 10:29

ben: just wondering, why do you think for seam welding it would be harder to get a non-contaminated weld with a TIG than a MIG?

I don't believe that a TIG would clean the surface like Mick seems to be saying (anyone who has ever used a TIG will tell you how bad a dirty surface is).

Once you've gone to the effort of cleaning out the seams with an oxy and wire brush, the difference would be down to time. You can probably get it done in about 1/10 the time with a MIG compared to a tig.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree MIG would be heaps quicker, tig would probably be marginally stronger... and with less distortion, but wouldn't be worth doing...

just curious, you recomended a oxy, a TIG torch is heaps hotter.. the quality of the welds with either will be greatly reduced if the surface isn't clean..

edit-

come to think of it, putting heat from either process into the metal, enough to burn off oils etc, probably wouldn't be a great thing..

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 00:56]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For cleaning out seams, an oxy is great. You can just poke the flame down the gap, and if you follow it with a wire brush it gets rid of all the crud hiding in there. Getting the arc from a TIG into the gap would be bloody hard and you couldn't see what you are doing with the wire brush.

If you don't heat it before you weld, the stuff inside the seams will burn once you start to weld causing all sorts of contamination.

The other disadvantage of a TIG, is unless you have a hand controller, you need somewhere to put the pedal and it's nice to have a seat. It's kind of difficult to get to the back of an engine bay (or under a car) while seated...
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might sounds like a silly question, but what are you burning out of the seams anyway? paint? wouldn't they have been spot welded in the first place?

i recon the plasma stream from the tig would heat it up enough to burn out anything thats going to burn when you weld it anyway..

yeah i hate positional stuff with tig.. in general our last two tig items are non rotatable vertical and horiz on some bigish pipe..
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 22:20

steel chassis, stainless rivets and alloy welding

is that now a battery? level 23 weight reduction...
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 11:25

This might sounds like a silly question, but what are you burning out of the seams anyway? paint? wouldn't they have been spot welded in the first place?

I'm not 100% sure what it is, but, if you try to weld straight over a seam, you'll see all sorts of stuff blowing out from underneath and trashing your weld.

I assume that they don't spot weld bare steel, there is a coating to stop water getting between the seams. If there is any sort of gap, you're going to get dirt, paint and oil trapped down there - all of which can contaminiate the weld. The plasma stream will melt some of it and loosten up some more, but, it won't get rid of it. Another advantage of the oxy is the velocity of the gas blowing out the nozzle clears out some more of the crud.

Don't get me wrong, tig welds would probably be slightly better, but I don't think it's worth the extra time and effort involved (particularly as you are just reinforcing the existing structure).

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, tig welds would probably be slightly better, but I don't think it's worth the extra time and effort involved (particularly as you are just reinforcing the existing structure).

oh hell no.. no way would i even think of doing it..

i think they would have to spot weld bare steel.. otherwise it wouldn't bond well.. they probably chuck some wierd goo in there after the fact... and years of dirt too i suspect..

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a look at this picture:

http://www.ben.foo.cc/swap/catchoff.jpg

You can see what was under the factory spot welded engine cover latch on my mr2. I don't know if all spot welded seams are like this though...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: mig or ark? Thu, 27 October 2005 03:44 Go to previous message
They use seam sealer in seams which "you guessed it" seals the seam Rolling Eyes You can use a spot welder to join materials togeather that have the sealer inbetween.
For new steel that is going to be seamed and spot welded, you can get weld through primer which allows the spot welds to fully bond.
This is how the factorys do it and any decent panel shop.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Conversion Help
Next Topic:Changing T50 Shifter Positions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:52:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061399936676025 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.