Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sun, 20 June 2004 13:56 Go to next message
Howdy,
i was considering a few more parts from whiteline to complete my suspension setup for now, which already includes lowered king springs, KYBs, new front/rear bushings, bigger swaybars, and new steering arms.

Now i was thinking of getting the adjustable panhard rod, strut brace, and possibly roll-centre adjusters.. BUT, firstly, i am not totally sure of what they will affect in the cars suspension geometry, and im not sure if i need and if my driving will benefit from installing RCA's.

can somebody explain to me what they alter, simply? in lamens terms? i hope i dont get flamed for not consulting the tech section or searching, but i want to find out from RA2* owners if they have utilised RCA's and what differences they noticed in the cars handling?
what is the Roll-centre?
is it something to do with the lower control arm length and front wheel camber/toe ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, just looking to fine tune the handling of my ra28, and whether i should bother experimenting with RCA's.. because i will probably use the car for hillclimbs in near future..

i have 15x6.5 rims at present but soon to uprgrade to 14x7, or 15x7, deep dish offset..

Thanks for anyone's input,

blackRA28
  Send a private message to this user    
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 21 June 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i investigated this a while back and this is my understanding of RCA's, everybody feel free to flame me if i'm wrong

your car is designed to operate/steer at the level it left the factory at. by lowering your car you adjust the way the lower control arms work and the lengths of the arc they operate through. this can cause bump steer (do a search if you don't know what it is). a way to eliminate this is to space the bottom of your strut to the bottom of your control arm so the lower control arms and steering arms are sitting at the levels they were designed to (or closer than they were anyway).

these are only needed for lowered cars, and IMO for seriously lowered cars.

a good place to get them from (and heaps of other parts) is techno toy tuning. its an american company but i've heard their delivery is fast and efficient and their prices work out heaps better than anything else i've come across. i found their site after reading a post by Joel (TurboRA28) who has bought parts off them. i'm pretty sure he's got their RCA's but you might want to check that their one's will fit your car before ordering, i think he's done a lot of other mods to his suspension

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/rca.html

hope this helps
Matt
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 21 June 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am currently wondering about the RCA's as well. Whiteline reckon they reduce body roll in the front as well??? Any one with experience/info would be greatly appreciated. How low does your car have to be for it to be worthwhile
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 21 June 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy, been looking at this thread but unsure where to start...

I guess with the easy stuff Smile

Every MM you lower the front of the car ultimately should be made up with the use of RCAs. So if you lower it 20mm, put a 20mm RCA in.

The roll centre ... If you look at a car while going through a corner the body of the car is not horizontal to the road (duh). The roll centre basically is the point where the car rotates. This place usually is an imaginary space.

The instantaneous centre ... When the wheel goes through the suspension travel, bump or droop, there is a point in which the wheel rotated. There is a centre in which the wheel will rotate, this is the instantaneous centre.

On RA28's (MacPherson strut), to find the instananeous centre ... this is where it gets confusing.

You draw a line through the pivot at the top of the strut at 90 degrees to the strut centreline. Then draw a line that follows the angle of the control arm. These 2 lines will intersect at some point. Where these arms intersect is the instaneous centre mentioned above..

Now the actually effect of all this.. Well one very apparent thing is bump steer. When designing a steering system the steering arm actually needs to follow a line from the instantaneous centre to the outer tie rod end.

Reading the above, you should be able to see that lowering a car, and altering the angle of the control arm, changes the instantaneous centre. So this ultimately changes the position of where the steering arms need to be. But we all know when you lower a car the rack/drag link/whatever, will not change hence no longer follows the correct angles.

Hmm well thats probably confused you enough..

Let me know if you dont understand though and what exactly and i'll see if I can explain..

I learnt way too much about all this when converting to rack n pinion steering in the Celica.

Cheers
Joel
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 21 June 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep what joel has said is spot on

i also got some for sale too Razz
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 21 June 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=38233&start=0&rid=932&S=187f7b4bc5e2 f36ec65f68332b44cecb
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 21 June 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah should also mention that AE86 RCA's fit RA28's fine!

Its handy as most performance suspension components are made for the AE86s.

So yeah, Simons would fit.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Tue, 22 June 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok this is good, thanks guys for the info, very handy indeed.

So i guess if i have lowered the car 1 & 1/2" all round, i should get a set of 37.5mm RCA's into the front end to return the steering/strut geometry closer to factory settings?

would it be really a worthwhile mod for a car lowered 1&1/2"?

will it change the angle of the wheel/tyre visibly from the outside at all?

thanks
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Tue, 22 June 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is a very worthwhile mod if you lower the car 1 1/2 inches.

There will be visable difference really.. Apart from - if you lower the car without using RCA's you will end up with slightly more negative camber. When you put the RCA's in, the camber will be reset to what it is now at ride height.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 24 June 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So thus eliminating any bump steer and returning the front wheel position to how it should be from factory? am i going to notice the difference in handling when driving do you think?

If i use a 40mm RCA will this be too big for 1&1/2" low kingsprings? Could i just have a few mm's shaved off each unit at my local engineers shop? to be exact?

ie will an RCA that is too big have a detrimental effect on the cars handling? or will a 40mm be okay?

I guess i should check with Simon-AE86 if his RCA's were in a car with exactly 40mm lower-than-standard springs..
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 24 June 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Every few mm makes a difference here in my opinion. I would try and get the RCA's as close as possible to the amount lowered.

You definately could machine the bottom off them to suit.

You will notice a difference.. I have 2 AE86's, one lowered and one not. When you drive over a bumpy road in the lowered one the steering wheel twitches all over the place. The one not lowered the steering wheel hardly ever moves regardless of the bumps.

Also under brakes the lowered one feels less stable. Around sharp hard corners it feels like it wants to turn in more.

All symptoms of bump steer.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 24 June 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole bump-steer thing can get really creepy on bumpy, undulating 2nd-rate roads, especially around sweeping corners with heaps of camber changes. The nose tends to dart and hunt all over the place, as the L.F. and R.F. suspension compress and droop in and out of sync. Mismatched aftermarket springs + shox will make it worse, and if you've got extra camber on the front end, then your front tyres will bite in nice&hard, making things even worse again!!

Depending on your steering geometry, the front tyres will either toe in or out dynamically, when you're hard on the brakes. Toe out under brakes will make the nose fidget around, changing direction very willingly. -Great on a race car, not so hot on a road car.
Dynamic toe-in will make the car track straight ahead under brakes. This is good! Cool
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 23 March 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone tried the negative camber RCA's from that site? Thinking of getting some but the camber seemed a little rough for a street car and of course not adjustable. Cheaper than tops though.

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/ncrca.html
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 23 March 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not a big fan of these. I can see them putting stresses on the suspension components.
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 24 March 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres one other thing that I've read about roll centres and RCA's with respect to lowering that no one else has mentioned, and anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm worng.

The difference in height between the front and rear roll centre's is crucial to the proper handling of your car. The front roll centre should be about 2/3 the height of the rear.

This is important when you lower a car with MacPherson struts on the front and a live axle rear because it changes this relationship. As Joel mentioned, the roll centre of a MacPherson strut setup will change the roll centre when you lower the car. The problem is that when you lower the rear (with a live axle setup) the roll cente remains constant, as it's (about) in the centre of the diff.

I've got an RA23 and when I found out about this stuff I made some very rough measurements and toyota have got the front roll centre about 2/3 the height of the rear, so in theory, you would want to keep that relationship.

I'm not exactly sure what effect changing the height of one roll centre with respect to the other has on handling, but Bill Sherwoods site has some info on this kinda stuff.

http://www.billzilla.org/suspensn.htm

Just some food for thought ofr anyone planning to lower there T/RAXX
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 24 March 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that is correct. So putting the roll centre adjusters in is an advantage as it starts to bring the roll centre back to the ratio of what Toyota designed it to be.

Because like you say when you lower a car like the early celica's/ae86's etc with mac struts and live axle, only the front roll centre will change.

You could add a watts link to the rear and adjust the roll centre also.

blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 24 March 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, seeing i started this thread a while ago i should say that if anyone is lowering their old celicas and spending a little bit of money (ie new springs, bushes, etc) in the end it is worth it to get these spacers to correct your lower control arm angle..

I had horrendous bump steer and ended up replacing every component in my steering setup& front suspension, which tightened up the feel of the car round bends and removed the steering slop, but it still felt like the KYBs werent dampening many smaller bumps even.. When i fitted the roll centre adjusters, which were about the same thickness as my springs were lower than standard (ie ~35mm), the problem was cured almost %100!! which was a vast improvement over the thousand+ dollars or whatever spent on swaybars, springs, bushes, steering box rebuilds, tie rod ends etc.. etc.. Car was still low as it was before Smile handled way better, finally felt like a sports coupe should.. and it felt like suspension components were taking many more bumps than previously with shocks pre-loaded and control arms at a bad angle from the low springs..

you could really notice a massive difference in the amount of feedback through the steerer as if the whole car was still as stiff as a board but the steering was just under so much less stress to hold the cars front body weight around corners, like having power-assisted steering almost.. and i was running wide rims 7"s on the front.. could really throw the car around a lot more and not have the turning wheels tugging on the steering wheel so much in your grip.

Best $75 ive ever spent in doing up the ra28 as far as handling goes.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sat, 28 May 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay then... are these t3 ones any good for an ra28? otherwise who else makes a similar product?

because my car has alot of these steering jumps and bumps that you guys have described. I know i need a few new components but from the ta22 i know this car is suffering similar issues not related to sloppy steering.

http://www.technotoytuning.com/media/t3/products/ncrca1.jpg

Cheers

Nathan

[Updated on: Sat, 28 May 2005 01:54]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sat, 28 May 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a diagram I drew to explain RCAs to someone once, hope it helps:

http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/temp/crappydiagram.jpg
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sat, 28 May 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well then.....now i actually understand it!

i just tawt

1. steering issues
2. fit rca's
3. ???
4. Profit

blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon12.gif  Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sat, 28 May 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its just a good mod to finish off your suspension setup if you have lowered it, and are aiming for handling improvement as well as looks. vast improvement in feedback through the steering wheel, and the car just generally sits flatter/smoother around bends..
Its hard to explain but u'l KNOW abot it after u fit some, thats for sure.

Im not sure bout the t3 items, im sure they're quality.
Mine were hand made by a bloke in queensland off these forums, they were bloody good i hope he makes some more sometime.. i need a set for the ta23 this time..

willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Tue, 31 May 2005 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone wanna do a group buy from that place (http://www.technotoytuning.com) for RCA's maybe adj strut tops too? The strut braces and adj panhard rods would be nice but I think postage could be a bit.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Tue, 31 May 2005 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I'm keen for all the above. Postage should not be that much.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 01 June 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willwal98 wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 06:24

Anyone wanna do a group buy from that place (http://www.technotoytuning.com) for RCA's maybe adj strut tops too? The strut braces and adj panhard rods would be nice but I think postage could be a bit.

T3 (or is it 3T?) don't do group buys, I've already asked. The postage on strut tops is very reasonable though - $9 usd IIRC.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 01 June 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope I understand correctly, but are these only needed on cars with a live rear axel? MA61 supra's for instance have IRS, so loweing the front and back would adjust the roll centre both front and back too (ignoring the terrible rear camber issues). This would mean the RCA's are not needed on a car with IRS... correct?
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 01 June 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
enter: Norbie and his vast array of MA61 knowledge.

Id imagine tho if it still has the same front strut setup as the celica's/ae86's the lower control arm will still sit at a flatter angle after dropping the car all round. Thus the need for the RCA's on the front. But as for the rear...

I would have not a clue, as none of my cars have been IRS and ive never heard of rear camber being an issue. I dont know what u could do to correct it without raising the cars ride height again??? Confused
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 01 June 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 10:47

I hope I understand correctly, but are these only needed on cars with a live rear axel? MA61 supra's for instance have IRS, so loweing the front and back would adjust the roll centre both front and back too (ignoring the terrible rear camber issues). This would mean the RCA's are not needed on a car with IRS... correct?

Not quite. The rcas return the control arms to their correct angle, and one of things that this fixes is raising the front roll centre to where it should be stock. I see where you are coming from, but you are assuming that lowering the front & back by x amount changes the roll centre for the swing arm rear and strut front by the same proportion. I doubt it, but then I don't actually know what happens to the rear roll centre. It's a valid question.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 01 June 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not just the lower roll centre you are trying to correct by using RCA's.. Also bump steer on the front. So I think on any macpherson strut they are worthwhile assuming the car is lowered.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sat, 15 October 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all. I'm orderig some RCA's tommorow but I need to know what size to get. Problem is I can't remember how low my car is, I used kings lowered springs but I also have a 1g-gte which adds a little weight. Was just wondering if anyone can measure the distance from each end of the lower control arm to the ground on an RA2x that is either at standard ride height or has the correct RCA's fitted. Or is anyone able to give me something else to work off here?

Many thanks
Will
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sun, 16 October 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a pretty good thread, quite a bit of good info Very Happy

Oh willal98 you would probably want to measure the length of your strut rather than the distance of the LCA to the ground. You can then compare this to a stock sturt and the difference in lenght is the height of the RCA you would want. If you measure from the centre of your wheel to the top of your wheel arch and then the same on a stock car (doesnt matter the size of the rim or anything. Then you can also use this to find the size of RCA in exactly the same way and its easier to measure Cool

There are several things that the RCA's do to your geometry to improve it.

1. Reduce bump steer, as covered... puts your steering arm geometry back to factory.

2. Puts the LCA back in a region where it will increase the camber of the wheel as it bumps at a higher rate than with the car lowered without RCA. ie again where toyota designed it.

3. Adjusts the suspension roll centre, moves it up to where toyota designed it to be.
As explained the roll centre is a point about where the chassis moves about, an axis of rotation.
When cornering the lateral force on the body of a car, acting through it's CoG, creates a moment about this point. If you increase the distance of the CoG to the RC then you are increasing the lever arm that the force acts on and hence increasing the roll moment. This will mean that for a given spring rate and anti roll bar rate the car will roll more for a given force!

When you lower your car with mac struts then the RC is lowered, increasing this moment. When you put RCA's in your car the RC is moved up closer to the CoG.

Also like someone said before, if the RCs at the front and back are raised or lowered different to each other this will upset the balance of the car. This is because between them they create a roll axis along the body of the car that the CoG acts around (there is only 1 CoG for the chassis, not one for the front of the car and rear of the car, which people sometimes get mistaken about because RC's are often talked about in terms of front and rear suspension). This can affect front and rear weight transfers and can be compared to using different spring rates on the front and rear of your car and how they affect handling.

But anyway, I noticed a difference to both bump steer and body roll when I installed some RCAs on my sprinter (I got them from whiteline).

Also I dont really think much about the negative camber RCAs as pictured above because they will create a greater wheel scrub radius (if using the same offset/width wheels). This will affect handling (steering feedback and heaviness) and create extra stress on wheel bearings etc. Just get some strut top camber adjusters or Longer LCAs...

/$0.02 Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 16 October 2005 03:00]

willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sun, 16 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I can see the wheel arch measurement being good too. The reason I wanted the LCA to ground measurements was so I could work out the angle that the LCA is supposed to be at, and then figure out what size RCA would put my LCA back into the factory angle.

BTW Anyone got either measurement for me? Either one would be close enough for me.
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sun, 16 October 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may seem like a silly question but bear with me.
An RCA is a spacer that sit between the bottom of the strut leg and the lower control arm?

If I am shortening a pair of struts to suit my car can I just cut less lenght off and achieve the same effect? or am I missing something?
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Sun, 16 October 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, you would need some RCA's to make up the ammount you cut off. Read the thread from the start and read the links in the thread too. Should help you get the picture. There are some roughly drawn diagrams up further too (sorry steffan).
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 17 October 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

I am a little lost in all this too. Is everyone lowering there front suspension so much that the LCA is starting to angle upwards from the inner mounting point?

Unless everyone takes an awfull lot out of the strut tube you all must have no suspension travel left. We all need some suspension travel, simply to keep the front tyres on the ground when they work the best.

I have taken an inch out of my strut and the ride height is set with the LCA horizontal and I have around 2.5 inch of bump travel to the bump stops.

A factory stock front suspension on all the early Celicas and most other models had the LCAs in-fact angled downwards and not as shown in the diagrams above.

Everyone is correct, as the optimum setup is to have the LCAs horizontal but how everyone gets there is why I ask the initial question.

Regards

Rodger
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 17 October 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this has all been covered. The problem is caused by the front suspension being shortened which in turn changes the andle of the LCA.

There are problems caused which are a little more technical and needs some maths and diagrams to explain. When the vehicle rolls (going around a corner) the LCA angle changes on both sides of the car, one angling up more, the other down more. When you lower a car these anges are no longer the same and change the roll center of the car and ca actually give you more body roll along with other things. Gold28 had a very good write up on this but his page is no longer available.

Putting the LCA's back to the original angle is the best place for them because the rest of the front suspension and steering relates to that angle and the way the LCA moves on it's arc.

I have a lowered RA28 and I have just ordered a set of these, will be here in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how they go. Only problem is they are only available in 35mm from techno toy tuning and I could have done with 45mm ones. It should be close enough to factory to fix these issues but they really should be exact.

I'll try and get a hold of Gold28 and see if he can re-host that page somewhere or give me a copy to host for him because it really is a good read. There is another site to do with go-cart suspension which explains a lot aswell (very relevant to cars).

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 12:40]

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 17 October 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a copy of gold28's website on my machine....i thought it would go down when he went to spain.

can re-host if he'll allow it...
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Mon, 17 October 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he went to spain? If he doesn't want to re-host it, I love a copy of it for myself if that would be ok. I can host it on my own server at home if you want some space.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Tue, 25 October 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My RCA's arrived today. A neat fit but a little tight around the backing plates if you have done a pug / hilux front brake conversion. Will massage them on the weekend because they rub a little now.

First impression are.. we'll.. impressive! Even my gf who knows little about cars and nothing much of performance said that the ride was nicer and cornering was 'less scary' even though I was going faster Very Happy

Turn in is much better, had bad understeer going into a corner and bad oversteer on the way out now it it smooth and tight. Steering seems to feel quite a bit lighter on the corners and the front tyres seem to have more grip and the back seems to stay in place better.

I haven't had a wheel alignment yet and havn't been on a decent drive but I can already say there is a noted benefit from fitting the RCA's. I think I can honestly say it's the best $100 and 1 hours work I have spent on my suspension since my fat sway bars.

Also note that previous to fitting the RCA's I had a problem with the front sway bar fowling on the radius rods. The RCA's have given me some clearance there but I think I will get some longer bolts to give me a little more. This fowling I think was causing quite a problem with the handling so the effects of the RCA's could be a little exaggerated.
Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Tue, 25 October 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What height are the T3 RCAs (the link doesn't appear to mention)or do they have a range?
I need something around 1.5in
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 26 October 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T3 will do them to suit your height, 35mm (which is pretty much what you want) are one of their standard ones. I picked up some of these from Raceflo for $120 last week, they have these in stock and have good service too Smile

Edit: they also came with propper bolts with a threadless shank to go through the RCA (unlike the ones pictured with the camber adjusting ones above...)

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 09:30]

willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 26 October 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T3 would only sell me 35mm ones for my car. Apparently they make them in bulk batches so maybe you have to be extra nice to get custom ones. They cost me $105 to my front door at the current conversion rates. Was about a week from ordering them to recieving them.

Oh and they did come with the proper bolts aswell Very Happy
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Wed, 26 October 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hah....No...we don't do them in custom sizes. On a fairly rare basis we have cut them down to 25mm for customers running really tight 13" wheels, but we have never made them larger than 35mm, no matter how nice or cute you are Very Happy

The thing about RCA's, they don't REALLY have to be the exact same height as drop on the car. Mainly you just have to get the Lower Control Arm out of the "trouble zone". You don't start encounting bump steer until about 1.2" down in most cases. The 35mm RCA's do quite well at eliminating bumpsteer on cars lowered up to 3". Even on an AE86 lowered 4" they will get rid of most of the bumpsteer.

We do make a full line of parts for nearly all oldschool Toyota's.

Here is link to our full product list (microsoft Excel Doc) not on our website yet:

www.technotoytuning.com/misc/Product List.xls

And full RCA and camber plate list (microsoft Word Doc):

http://www.technotoytuning/misc/RCA's and CP Applications.doc

If you have any questions regarding any of these items you can contact us directly at ggtyler@yahoo.com

or contact our Distributor in Australia, RotaFlo. They are very knowledgable and stock a very large quantity of Techno Toy Tuning parts.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 27 October 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2nd link (RCAs & Apps) is bad.
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 27 October 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm...couldn't seem to get the link to work on the RCA's and CP's so here's the data manual style:

We have RCA's for:

Practically every RWD Toyota from 1968-1987

Celica - TA22/23, RA22/23, RA28, RA40, (RA60/65 RCA's may not fit) SA63, MA61

Corolla - KE10/11 (?), KE20/25/26, KE30/35/50/55, KE70/71/72, AE70/71, TA18, TE72, and last but not least AE86.

TE27, TE71

-------------------------------------------------- --------------

Datsun 510, 280ZX, 240/260/280Z

-------------------------------------------------- --------------

Nissan 200SX

-------------------------------------------------- -------------

We have Camber Plates for:

Can use without coilovers:

68-87 RWD Corolla
AE92
TE27
TE72
71-85 Celica
KP61 Starlet

Must have coilovers to use:

AW11 (front and rear)
SW20 (front and rear)
S13
FC3S
200SX
280ZX
240/260/280Z
71 Skyline

If a particular application is not listed, contact us as we may have something that will work.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 00:48]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 27 October 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Gab - about to send you an email. I had no I idea you made RCAs for xA6x's too - should have asked, really Wink
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 27 October 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, I'll post one of my questions here as it is relevant to the thread:

Quote:

(RA60/65 RCA's may not fit) SA63, MA61

What do you mean by "RA60/5 RCA's may not fit"? All xA6x Celica RCAs should be the same, and all xA6x Supra should be the same.

So - do you make RCAs to suit xA6x Celicas? Also, are they different to xA6x Supra ones?
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 27 October 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding the xA6x Celica and xA6x Supra's: We have not verified that the RCA's for the AE86 are compatible with them. If they are not, then we do plan to make the RCA's for the xA6x cars very soon.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll centre adjusters? RA28 Thu, 27 October 2005 01:21 Go to previous message
Ah, Ok.

Well, I've read from a few different sources that AE86 RCAs do NOT fit - IIRC the bolts are in different locations. I am not sure whether xA6x Supra & Celica RCAs are interchangeable with each other, but I have a set of supra ones here to try in my celica & will find out.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 01:23]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how big is your turbo on your 4a-gte?
Next Topic:Question about 175mm Pully & Intercooler question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 09:06:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097579956054688 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.