Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » FWD gearbox oil seals?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

FWD gearbox oil seals? Thu, 27 October 2005 05:02 Go to next message
Hi

I have a spare AE82 twinky ggearbox think its a c52? Anyway its been lying around my shed for quite a while and my current box is just about stuffed, so i wanna get the twinky box up and running and swap it over. But i've been told that i should replace the oil seals in it first. Anyone know what these seals are called? like is there a special name for them that i should ask toyota for? Can i get generic items? And is there any tips n tricks in replacing the things?

Cheers,

Calum
  Send a private message to this user    
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: FWD gearbox oil seals? Thu, 27 October 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u mean drive shaft seals?

i just got mine replaced, from what i saw they look like a fairly common part that can be used on most cars...
only thing to watch out for is when putting the drive shaft in, be carful not to damage it cos you will have to do it again.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: FWD gearbox oil seals? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh they'll definately be referring to 'transaxle' oil seals on each side of box to seal driveshafts.
The best way to go is to carefully remove one thats already in the box (which usually means butchering the fuck out of it), then grab the code and call toyota. Bring it with you when you go to pick the new ones so you can match them and be sure...its a real pissoff when the new one doesn't fit Crying or Very Sad

They are sometimes rather 'cunty' to fit so be careful not to damage the seal or scrape too much metal around where it fits in. We found lining the seal up as straight as possible, then carefully using a screwdriver to tap incrementally around the circumferance of the seal until it finally shnicks in, felt like a surgeon Smile
(cost us 2 seals to perfect the operation for my bros sr20 pulsar)

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 14:22]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: FWD gearbox oil seals? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to Toyota and order left and right driveshaft seals.
They are different sizes.
Like already said, take the old ones out and take them with you to compare when you pick up the new ones.
To put them in just make sure they're lined up with the hole properlyand evenly against the gearbox housing then use a block of wood to cover them as you tap them in with a hammer. The wood spreads the force of the hammer.
You could wipe some oil on the housing before you put the seals in and wipe some oil around the seal lips before you fit the driveshafts.
From experience, don't get too keen and put the oil in before you put the shafts in. Rolling Eyes
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: FWD gearbox oil seals? Fri, 28 October 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lmao @ bayka love the technical terminology there mate 'cunty'

Great, thanks for all the tips guys, probably worth me getting 2 sets cause i know ill fuck up at least one seal Razz

Thanks
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: FWD gearbox oil seals? Fri, 28 October 2005 00:45 Go to previous message
just goto a mechanic. i got mine done for $35 each.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte injector upgrade on stock ecu??
Next Topic:sc14 limits?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 12:19:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041890144348145 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.