Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GZ20
Occasional Poster

May 2005
1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 05:33 Go to next message
Does any body know how difficult it is to take the head off of a 1G? And if any one has done it before, what process is involved? Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thus far, it's been a bitch. when you get it off, let me know.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm looking at it and it's got these "Socket" where is looks like a bolt head would go.

I've got a nine inch grinder in the same room aswell,
i swear one more skinned knuckle and it's on !
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you... buy a hex-headed socket to suit? Razz
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i went to take my head off, it was a piece of cake.

for every job there's a perfect tool Smile
GZ20
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And what tools would they be?...
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as stefan said a hex head socket and extenion bar is your friend Wink mine came off easily too i took mine off with plenum and turbos still on the head. came off not a problem
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pulled one off with not too much problem, bare motor though. god damn that water pump bit is stupid though
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Wed, 26 October 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the problem with the waterpump? I've change three now..
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prob the fact that the whole timing belt/harmonic balancer has to come of the motor
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eh, fuck, that was nuttin'...

Damn, I didn't even have to take the timing belt off.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much do hex headed sockets cost ?
and does anybody what size i will need as i can't afford to spent $100+ for one socket.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, just sell your engine, then you'll be able to afford the socket.
What you whinging about... Wink
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha !

I want to see what went wrong thats why i want to take the head off.

dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happened? you blow head gasket?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE head Thu, 27 October 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really don't see what the big deal is here. It uses a hex-headed rather than usual socket, so what.

Mookie, I don't thing that one socket is going to cost you $100 Razz Measure the distance between flats of the hexagon - that's the size.
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE head Sat, 29 October 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I swear I could take off timing belts in my sleep by now. Learn from my mistake, never let a monkey who claims to be a mechanic touch your 1G. Do everything yourself, then you know its been done properly.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE head Sun, 30 October 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfft mechanics... only go to them if you have a holden or ford, which hasn't been made in the past 10 years.
GZ20
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 1G-GTE head Sun, 27 November 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can the head come off without having to take the timing belt off? Also does any one know the torque settings of the head bolts on the 1G? cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE head Sun, 27 November 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GZ20 wrote on Sun, 27 November 2005 09:26

Can the head come off without having to take the timing belt off?

What do you propose to have the timing belt aligned to with no head!?
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE head Sun, 27 November 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can come off without the timing belt on, but the putting it back together bit may prove difficult. Its worth taking off anyway just to give the downstaris area a once over inspection.
The Torque settings are 47 ft-lb, but there is a specified sequence of installation required to seat the gasket properly.
GZ20
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 1G-GTE head Mon, 28 November 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but there is a specified sequence of installation required to seat the gasket properly.

I'd like to know more about this specified sequence if u would care to enlighten me. cheers
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE head Mon, 28 November 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the sequence that i know of weather its the same as gt twins or not i dont know, weather its a load of shit or not i dont know, but bare with me as its a pretty complex and long process;
1, fit gasket and tension head, leave overnight and do not start the car

2,back off tension and retension (use molly lube on head bolts) start and idle car up to running, operating temp only. turn car off and leave till the next day.

3,back off tension and retension, take the car for a 10-15km drive without getting the car on boost, let the car cool down and retension

4,run the car on dyno or whatever on lowest boost, but max rpm, cool down then retension.

and after about a week of fucking around and throwing the the cam covers accross the garage from retensioning the head 50000 times the cars finally right too go Razz

torque setting are 47flb or 64nm, and remember to tension from the center out in a circular motion.

like i said thats the sequence i know of, weather it works or not i dont know, that wat i done after blowing too head gaskets and the head gasket has stayed in tact, though i pitty #6 piston as is no longer alive, but at least the head gasket stayed in tact Razz
GTtwin
Regular

August 2005
Re: 1G-GTE head Tue, 29 November 2005 06:49 Go to previous message
Steve's method sounds good to me. Toyota don't specify a re-torque, but given past experience of modified Toyota engines (1G, 7M ETC), its a pretty good idea. Here is the tightening sequence.
http://www.importperfection.com.au/Forum Pics/headgasket.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:a23 headlight re-jiggering
Next Topic:ke55 gearbox oil
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:25:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081560611724854 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.