Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » r154 gearbox issues.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
r154 gearbox issues. Wed, 19 October 2005 23:37 Go to next message
Hi all,

I've done some searching about and it seems the only two real problems with the r154 include the 1st gear thrust washer and the rear gearbox seal leaking oil. Though, there is also the poor quality shift that could be seen as a problem.

What I'd like to know is as follows;

Will the thrust washer be a problem with stock power/torque?
(if no, at what power/torque?)
Will being gentle in first (but not other gears) reduce the likeliness of the problem?

Hands up anyone who has had the leaky rear seal.
Will replacing the seal remedy the problem?
I read it's the general drive train vibrations that cause the seal to crack, if so I’m guessing this is an on going problem that will need attending to.

What measures can be taken to improve the quality of the shift?
I read Redline oil was popular, though I personally have had good experiences with Castrol VMX80 and Nulon shift conditioner however this wasn't in an r154.
Would adding a weighty gear knob make things easier?
And finally, though this may be a personal preference thing, what shaped gear knob do you find is easiest to shift with?

Thanks everyone,
Ashlin.
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 20 October 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just changed my oil to VMX80 and it had a slight crunch on changes from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd

that crunch is now gone Smile

my verdict: VMX80 for teh win
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 20 October 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My r154 has same crunch as above......about to hit it with redline shockproof. Will see what happens.

And what price is the VMX80?

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2005 00:07]

kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 20 October 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the price of it is appealing too Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 20 October 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 09:36

My r154 has same crunch as above......about to hit it with redline shockproof. Will see what happens.

And what price is the VMX80?

$24 for 3 litres Smile
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 20 October 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Nulon shift conditioner is about $20 for a 250ml tube and imo the improvement is worth it. However it does seem to only last for a few months.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 20 October 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone else out there had/have any of the problems listed??
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Sat, 22 October 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Redline MTL is your friend. Not cheap but worth it.
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Wed, 26 October 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i had r154 , notchy shifting , run vmx80 , auto trans , then went to redline shock proof .. best $100 or so ive spent .. silky smooth shift , no crunch grind , everything sweet ..
r154 will handle power fine .. they very strong box . i had 400rwhp through mine

as for rear seal .. wtf ?? i had so many probs with that .. i couldnt fix it .. i changed seal , added 2 seals , went to a tighter seal , tighten the seal spring .. everything i just couldnt fix it ..

so i sold it and put in a v161 6 speed .. that fixed the prob

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Wed, 26 October 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slylux is the tailshaft and gearbox x member the same for the V161?

i am assuming you can use the same flywheel and clutch too?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Wed, 26 October 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK the V160 runs a 3 pronged output, not the slipyoke.
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Wed, 26 October 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zero problems with my R154,no special oil or anything,no leaks or crunch.I do practice the elusive mystical art of mechanical sympathy though.A rare and forgotton skill in many parts of the world it seems. Crying or Very Sad

Nice to know about these potential hassles though as I have another R154 soon to go into service. Smile
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Wed, 26 October 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I’ve had a good drive of it, and at about 40 in 4th if I mash the accelerator the gearbox makes a scratchyish grinding noise. Once the speed increases to about 60 or so the noise stops. Does this happen to anybody else?

Apparently the seals between the cabin and the gearbox aren't great, so if the noise is normal it would likely be louder and more noticeable in my car.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 27 October 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually it doesn't appear to be exclusivly 4th, just when the car is in a higher gear than the speed warrents, can anyone else relate to this problem (if it is a problem)
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 27 October 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get a drone/vibration if i select too high a gear at a low road speed (5th gear @ 60kph) but it sounds more like the exhaust rather than anything else.

my R154 had very poor shifting qualities before i put RedLine Lightweight Shockproof Gearoil in... its expensive but worth it.
that being said no gearoil will make the R154 a pleasure to shift.

unless i shift down through every gear finishing in 1st comming up to a set of traffic lights, i usually get locked out of first gear.

from stationary theres only a 50% chance i can select reverse first time, otherwise its into 1st, let the clutch out a bit, nudge forward, clutch back in then straight into reverse.

as of late ive got a bearing noise easily audiable out of gear and stationary... the noise evolves into a much angrier noise after 10 passes down the 1/4 mile or after 10 laps of barbagallo raceway.

ive found by changing into the next gear by 2,200rpm you can have a flawless run of shifting up though gears (without the gears clicking/hesitating)

and last but not least.. if i need to change back down through gears in a hurry, double clutching is a must (your only choice really) unless your carrying a low enough road speed.

that being said i still love my box, its held out well over time and im no pansey with it.
oh and i cant think of a worst gearbox to drag with, makes you wish you had a auto in there, but then you go to the circuit and...

good luck.
XmaGe
Regular

November 2004
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Thu, 27 October 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah... I thought my gearbox was a pain in the ass.

I've had several simular problems to you guys. Firstly my box leaks a bit of oil that can be seen just under the guard that the gearbox yoke sits in. I use Redline lightweight shockproof so every time I see it I feel a small pain in my wallet.. :/

This is they only type of oil I have used since putting this box in my car (after it was rebuilt). I also get really notchy shifting and sometimes I gotta slam it in with a crunch. I get a drone in the cabin that is there till the exhaust note drowns it out. As for shifting it only seems to like high revs and at low revs its hella notchy.

As for reverse, I've found that putting it into 4th then rev works most of the time. Also threating to put in a Getrag has given me some results
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Fri, 28 October 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kemicalx wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 20:59

Actually it doesn't appear to be exclusivly 4th, just when the car is in a higher gear than the speed warrents, can anyone else relate to this problem (if it is a problem)

Learn how to drive a manual.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: r154 gearbox issues. Fri, 28 October 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
practice the art of "feeling" gears typically taught when you go for your non-syncro truck license...

you get upto about 60kph clutch into neutral then softly feel into the gate of an acceptable gear IE 2nd 3rd 4th while rolling and steadily and slowly raising / lowering the revs, you will feel it suck/slip into the gear when you have the right revs for the right road speed.

once you can drive it without touching the clutch, stressing the syncros, kanagrooing the fuck out of it, start using the clutch just a half tap as you slide it into gear at the right revs and you will have a much more rewarding driving experience and happier drive line
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Fri, 28 October 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps Allan thats the info i'm after i definatly need to improve my mmanual skills (not that i'm new to it, just didn't take it too seriously in my old Astina)

Couple of other questions

When stationary in neutral the box whirs away quite ausibly. Is this normal?

Also after a bit of driving the stick and solid metal gearknob i have get a bit hot too.

My rwd/manual experience is non-existant so i'm just trying to suss out whether or not my car has any problens. So sorry if some of these q's seem a bit noobesque Razz

Cheers all,
Ashlin.
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: r154 gearbox issues. Sun, 30 October 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took experience alot of pleasure with my R-154. Lately it hasn't been too fond of downshifting into third, especially when cold. I chose to attribute this to the recent oil change but it may also be a result of pushing alot of power through it. I'm hoping to insall my OS Giken gear set soon, as I'm really curious how much improvement it makes to shift speed as its supposed to have vastly superior synchros. Is it confirmed that a violent upshift into third is when the R-154 mostly fails?

Dan
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: r154 gearbox issues. Sun, 30 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous message
my r154 is beautiful behind a 450hp v8 running penrite hypoid gear oil. No crunching at all. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SA63 Diff
Next Topic:Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:07:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006091833114624 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.