Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
petertm
Newcomer

October 2005
'75 celica Thu, 27 October 2005 16:05 Go to next message
any advice for buying a celica for restoration? i want to get something from around 1975, and hopefully will have money to spend on it in the near future. however, now, i have <2000, and just want toget something to occasionally use as a normal car. in terms of engines, what would a reco cost on such a car roughly
  Send a private message to this user    
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: '75 celica Thu, 27 October 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're after a 70's celica you have a choice of a TA22 or an RA23/RA28. The main difference between the two types is engine size; and in the case of the RA23 and RA28, the 23 is a coupe and the 28 is a hatch. The TA22 has a 1.6l engine and the RA23/28 has a 2.0l engine. Both are great cars and both can be hard to find parts for. A twin cam engine upgrade for both these cars will cost you about $1400-1600 (for a halfcut). These won't be reconditioned though. Having done some research into reconditioning for my Celica a reconditioned 18R motor (standard in the RA23/28) would cost me about $1200. This is probably the same for the 2T motor in the TA22.

Both these motors are very tough and reliable. So when you're shopping around try and find the car in the best condition you can and if possible try and find one with a 2TG or 18RG motor as these will be twin cam motors and a hell of a lot more power than the factory motors.

hope that gives you a bit more info to get you started. PM me if you have any more questions. happy to help.

Cheers
Az
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: '75 celica Fri, 28 October 2005 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe dont get a 75 parts are hard to come by, its not quite the early first gen and not quite the later one either but if you find one with almost complete parts its a nice car to have. go ra25!
petertm
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: '75 celica Tue, 01 November 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys, but been a rank amatuer when it comes to knowledge on cars, i have a few follow up questions!
i really like the look of the celica model that ran up until i think it was september 1975. when you say parts are hard to come by, do u mean i will have trouble getting basic repairs done at the mechanics? my knowledge of cars is limited to oil changes and trye changes at the moment, but i hope that will all change soon.
thanks
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: '75 celica Tue, 01 November 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mechanical parts are easy to come by.. it's more body, trim and interior parts which can be hard to come by if something breaks
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: '75 celica Wed, 02 November 2005 04:45 Go to previous message
Judging by the dates your saying that you want, you probably after the TA22.
This model has the wedge shaped front amber indicators in the front panels.
The RA23, which came after that model is harder to find parts for, you can't even get an off the shelf radiator for it.
Engine parts for the single cam engines are really easy to find as after market spares are easily available from auto part stores.
Finding new parts for th twin cam engines is a real cow, but they are a lot more fun to drive and respond much better to modification.
TA22 body parts are probably easier to get 2nd hand than the RA23 ones.
RA28 parts are hard to get, full stop.

If you get a celica from before 1974 you will be allowed to modify it more and not have trouble with ADRs.
For example, if in SA, you wouldn't need to notify motor reg that you'd just put a turbo on it. After that date you would have to get it engineered.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v head?
Next Topic:JZX90 Body Loom diagram?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:59:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044488906860352 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.