Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » what tool you carry in the car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:16 Go to next message
was just cleaning out some tools today which made me thought about this topic

what tools do you guys carry in your car??? you know for emergency use, ripping out parts from picknpay etc...

well just looking at my little plastic toolbox that i usually place behind the seats of my aw11 (its actually not there anymore coz i was too lazy too put it back after cleaning it out) i have:

spanners, 8,10,12,14,17,19
3/8" rachet and sockets, 8,10,12,14,17,19
spark plug socket and feeler guage
screwdrivers, 2 flatheads and 2 philips
longnose pliers
led torch
allenkeys
shifter
assorted blade fuses
test light
cable ties
superglue
piece of wire, for briging terminals etc...
vacuum hose caps and plugs
and lastly my most used tool, a baby knipex sidecutters
also not in the toolbox but in glovebox is 1 tyre-in-a-can thingy

so what you all have in your incar toolboxes? what do you reckon are some of the more necessary tools to cary around?
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17 and 19 spanner/socket aren't really needed.. anything that uses those and breaks is a LOT more than a side of the road replacement Smile
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was taking out 19mm bellhousing bolts on a tx5 one days at picknpay in blacktown, with my 3/8" ratchet and it wasnt fun at all. ended up ripping my palm when i slipped and blood poured everywhere. i finally got what i needed though (didnt feel the pain til i started to wash my hands). was lucky i carried that 19mm in my car
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what I carry on a pickies run is very different to what I carry in my car when i'm just driving
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i know what u mean, i wasnt prepared when i went that day so i just used what i had in car

so what do you carry in your car everyday driving?

i have been fortunate that my car has been very reliable and have only broken down twice, once due to busted clutch slave and the other is broken shift cable bracket clips. both was easily fix with few socket and spanner and replacement parts
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spanners, sockets, knife (very important!), pliers, fuses, wire, tape.... several; small screwdrivers and 1 large persuading screwdriver (doubles as a pry bar)
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of what you got plus or minus a few things

and fuel lines. busted them 3 times already on the side of the road.

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah. Talk about overpacking.

I have my trusty leatherman, a role of galv wire & a role of alloy tape.
If it can't be fixed with any combination of those three things, then your car is probably in two pices on the side of the road. And even then, I reckon you'd be in with a chance with the alloy tape.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha galv wires, i havent advanced to that level yet, my car still seems to hold quite well with just cable ties Very Happy

joorsh wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 01:12

Bah. Talk about overpacking.

I have my trusty leatherman, a role of galv wire & a role of alloy tape.
If it can't be fixed with any combination of those three things, then your car is probably in two pices on the side of the road. And even then, I reckon you'd be in with a chance with the alloy tape.

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cable ties tend to struggle when it comes to repairing exhaust manifolds - unless you get those kickarse metal cable ties - they're way cool... but pricey.
The galv wire mixed with the pliers on the leatherman makes for a pretty damn good cable tie anyway. I've "fixed" sheared off studs on an exhaust manifold with that little combo.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This will probably intrigue some of you, but I carry nothing not even a screwdriver.
My old truck has never be stuck on the side of the road, before or after the conversion (not even a flat tire). If I go to Pick parts, I call my young bloke and he comes with me to do the work for me. I just say I want that bit, and he gets that bit off for me.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i carry a trolley pole.

nothing else.

buggered if im going to be caught without one when shit goes sour.

me and a mate have also removed an engine from a jap import ae82 twinky with 3 trolley poles, various size sockets and spanners, 4 wheels (off my old ta22) and a bottle jack.

Eldar.O.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I always carry my tool between my legs, whether I'm in the car or not.

seeyuzz
river
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I've got is a jack, wheel brace, a leatherman and most importantly, a mobile phone...
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ze leatherman is da shiznit.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 09:15

ze leatherman is da shiznit.

Indeed came in handing camping at bathurst. All my car has in it is whatever is in the boot ie jack, wheel brace etc. Though i have some fuses, a spare relay and circuit breaker for the aricon.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 23:41]

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've always got a socket set under the seats, and a phillip head screwdriver in the glovebox Very Happy
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 27 October 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm i might go and buy myslef a proper leather man. i got one of them little keyring sized ones(it was a present), and even though it is good quality, i dont see myself unscrewing much with it, need something bigger to get a good grip on it.

i carry no tools in the car. just a jack and a cross bar to take wheels off. with out them there no point for a spare wheel, and also i heard its not wrc to not have a jack.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 23:57]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zipties, torch, screwdriver Rolling Eyes

edit: and a jack etc for spare wheel stuff obviously

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 00:13]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I opened up my little tool pouch that came with the car and was surprised to find the previous owner had added some of his own tools. Got some screwdrivers and stuff in there.
That's all though. If my car breaks down with only 80K on the clock I'll be very unhappy with mr Honda.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paperclips are handy - I've usually got some kicking around and I have fixed cars with them in the past...
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u guys are crazy i dont even have a jack hahahahahaha

only tool i carry while driving is the one between my legs
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keys for other car Confused
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I once had John aka feral4mr2 in my car!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats pretty harsh Razz . Touch wood my car has never broken down cept for a flat battery out the front of my house. The main thing I carry in the car is the all important oil and coolant. But as someone else posted mobile phone woot just a call to the NRMA and all should be good just hope you have reception Wink
YR22RG_TaragoRV
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bear in mind I have a Tarago so plenty of space.

5L Oil (GTX2 thanks), 5L pre-mix coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, spare tyre, jack, x-brace, WD-40 (both in g'box and toolbox), torch, service light (either ciggy lighter or battery terminal powered), spare blade fuses (various amperage ratings), socket set, phillips & flat blade screwdrivers, combo ring & open enders (in various metric and imperial sizes), pliers & sidecutters, wiring terminals and wire, electrical tape, razor blades... hang on let me have a look again...

hammer, small bolt-cutters, paint brushes, allen-keys, multi-grips, assortment of small bolts/screws, wire-wheels (and the cordless drill if I remember to put it back in), jumper leads.

There is more but I can't remember it all. Fits into 1 big toolbox, 1 small toolbox and a 48L plastic container.

Oh and the broom with sawn-off handle for sweeping out the back/trailer (hmm and sawn-off shottie for thos road-rage moments! Mad Very Happy j/k). Soon to add a small camp shovel for digging her out if she gets bogged or hung up on the towbar (which I did once Embarassed )

2 most important bits but: mobile phone and NRMA Roadside Service membership - best $80 I spend each year on the van. Wink
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I carry a mobile phone and RACQ card, if he cant fixit then they can tow it and give me a hire car!
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toolbox with ratchet + all sockets, a shifter, screwdrivers, torch, long-nose pliers, wire, about 20 fuses. And ofcoarse a big hollow pole to torque the ratchet in those situations where a bolt doesnt wanna move... (Also doubles as a weapon Smile)

Kev.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YR22RG_TaragoRV wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 13:49

5L Oil (GTX2 thanks), 5L pre-mix coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, spare tyre, jack, x-brace, WD-40 (both in g'box and toolbox), torch, service light (either ciggy lighter or battery terminal powered), spare blade fuses (various amperage ratings), socket set, phillips & flat blade screwdrivers, combo ring & open enders (in various metric and imperial sizes), pliers & sidecutters, wiring terminals and wire, electrical tape, razor blades... hang on let me have a look again...

hammer, small bolt-cutters, paint brushes, allen-keys, multi-grips, assortment of small bolts/screws, wire-wheels (and the cordless drill if I remember to put it back in), jumper leads.

There is more but I can't remember it all. Fits into 1 big toolbox, 1 small toolbox and a 48L plastic container.

Oh and the broom with sawn-off handle for sweeping out the back/trailer (hmm and sawn-off shottie for thos road-rage moments! Mad Very Happy j/k). Soon to add a small camp shovel for digging her out if she gets bogged or hung up on the towbar (which I did once Embarassed )

2 most important bits but: mobile phone and NRMA Roadside Service membership - best $80 I spend each year on the van. Wink

you sound like a automobile mobile service. you sure you didnt miss out anything else, like a hoist somewhere back there Laughing
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack, wheel brace and jumper leads Laughing

Never needed to use them on my car though(knock on wood)
Very Happy

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the toyota tool kit (spanners, pliers etc) a screwdriver with heaps of diferent heads for it, cable ties, duct tape, racing tape, a disposable camera (dont need it now with todays phones), rags and a wheel brace all in the little tool compartment of the sprinter.

i now carry spare fuel pumps cause these are what usually die on me meaning i have to call someone to tow me home.

also carry my youll-be (aka base ball bat, trolley pole, clublock whatever) cause i live in campbelltown.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont keep any in car, weighs it down!
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 28 October 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I generally only have the jack and wheel brace in the car but at the moment I also have 5l of pre mixed coolant in the back because I recently did the heads (V6 4runner).

I also rely on my mobile phone and nrma membership although I only use them for a tow.

YR22RG_TaragoRV
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Sun, 30 October 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk1sc wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 16:08

you sound like a automobile mobile service. you sure you didnt miss out anything else, like a hoist somewhere back there Laughing

Nah I'd have to fold the seats up permanently in the back for that. Very Happy

Mind you with just a trailer and the Tarago I HAVE moved my entire unit.

The benefit of all that stuff is that I can fix any small problems any time, only major stuff requires mobile phone & NRMA! Very Happy
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Mon, 31 October 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I throw my toolbox in for long/ remote drives, it could probably pull the whole car to bits on the side of the road, but the NRMA is only one call away.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Mon, 31 October 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cable ties are an absolute must in a car tool kit. Its amazing the things you can use them for. I once had to hold up a brake caliper when the bolt holding it to the hub fell out Shocked

Worked pretty damn well only issue was i couldnt use the brakes. Got me most of the way home from old pac at 2am until it finally gave up the ghost about 5km's from home saved me a packet in towing fees thats for sure

other than that i keep a small socket set 10mm 12mm and 14mm spanners wheel brace screw drivers (philips and flat head) and a jack. A torch is the only thing i need to add.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Mon, 31 October 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=YR22RG_TaragoRV wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 10:01][quote title=mk1sc wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 16:08]

Mind you with just a trailer and the Tarago I HAVE moved my entire unit.

Geez those stuodio apartments are getting small Razz j/ks. top effort.
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Tue, 01 November 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Myself? Confused

And a toolbox with sockets, spanners, screwdrivers, etc...
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Tue, 01 November 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same as above myself.
little changeable screw driver(has phillips and flat head)
electrical tape
and adjustable spanner.
got the proper toolbiox at home
TRD-86
Regular

May 2005
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Wed, 02 November 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pliers , multi-head screwdrivers , cable ties , FUSES !! , jump cables , torch , socket set , pen and paper .
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 03 November 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What in the hell is a leather man???
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Thu, 03 November 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.leatherman.com/

think of it as a classier swiss army knife. Wink
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 04 November 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah I've seen those...
Phyro
Regular

September 2004
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 04 November 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gads, recently 'located' everything into mine, the back of my car left to right goes

- 3lt oil (magnatec Crying or Very Sad )
- sub/amp combo Cool
- bout 11 litres spare fuel (inproper containter)
- bilabong rug and fluro lamp
- basic auto tool kit - with additions of a truck load of cable ties, and a smaller truck load of auto fuses: the kick arse ones that light up if they blow. after spending 3 hrs trying to find which fuse had blow on my interior lights int he footwell... though someone should have suggested it was under the hood Rolling Eyes i had actually looked there...
- Recovery gear bag full of tyre pumps, jumper cables, bog roll second tyre lever <shrugs> and other crap i can't remember
- spare wheel that for some reason still has the original tool kit for the gz20 in it Shocked for real - never been used before (touch wood)
- spare water
- radiator stop leak
- spare news paper
- duct tape
(those last to just do everything)

need to get some metal glue and super glue in there too and a new wratcheting socket wrench, busted the last one on the exhaust manifold... had to finish it off with spanners. bastards. and my open 10 has gone missing. Mad 3rd one.

after all that, suprisingly i still have a bit of boot room left... now to work out how to mount a Warn on the front, and get some Snatch straps and put them in the boot eheheheh

oh, and a Grays carbon fibre field hockey stick... for training purposes...

and the card the RACV give ya and a mobile phone. and possibly Shrakas number. simply if im gonna suffer, he can suffer with me.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2005 05:20]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what tool you carry in the car? Fri, 04 November 2005 05:30 Go to previous message
I don't carry anything, no spare tyre, no jack. That's what the chumps I go driving with are for Cool

Quote:

What in the hell is a leather man???

This..........

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/3664/lm1ig.jpg

He looks like he would take up a fair bit of room and my car is only a 2 seater so I don't reckon my girlfriend would approve of me cruising around with him. Chances are he would just get in the way if you were trying to fix stuff anyway.

I reckon he would look sweet in Dravens MA61 though, slinked over the chrome back seats Wink .
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rims at SEMA show, Crazy Yanks!
Next Topic:1969 CORONA
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:42:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074360370635986 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.