Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 07:44 Go to next message
I have bought my Girl a 1974 RT104 corona in perfect condition in all ways ! even with log books from every oil change starting in 1975 ..

anyway the car is perfect apart from the over heating - ive run around (a fair bit) to find a new thermostat and water pump for it ... now ther thermostat is friggin obvious how to install . but im wanting help with the water pump

THIS is what i purchased from repco yesterday

http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/corona/Photolah006.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/corona/Photolah007.jpg

this is classified by them as a "new water pump" ..

so i took off the water pump and all the shit hooked to it quite easy and got the original piece *(as in the part i bought)* off with a bit of anger etc ... its all fine ..

but what i cant understand is how to take the shaft bit off that runs to the clutch/fan

http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/corona/waterpump/Photolah001.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/corona/waterpump/Photolah002.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/corona/waterpump/Photolah003.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~richo99/images/corona/waterpump/Photolah004.jpg

how am i able to take that apart to put the new piece on !?!?! i cant understand it
  Send a private message to this user    
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello

There's a 'Haynes' manual for 71-85 celicas that has a good write up on the water pumps in section 3. I would assume that the coronas would have the same section if they had the same motors.

Hope this helps mate!

Cheers, Pomey!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
water pump whould have come with a flange pressed onto the end of the shaft which you bold the pulley and thermo-clutch fan to.

remove the pulley and clutch fan from the old pump, take both to the store which sold you the new pump and ask for he correct part.

you shouldn't have to remove the fan blades from the clutch centre- there are/should be 4 bolts holding them onto a flange on the shaft.
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 16:36

water pump whould have come with a flange pressed onto the end of the shaft which you bold the pulley and thermo-clutch fan to.

remove the pulley and clutch fan from the old pump, take both to the store which sold you the new pump and ask for he correct part.

you shouldn't have to remove the fan blades from the clutch centre- there are/should be 4 bolts holding them onto a flange on the shaft.

I thought this was how it worked also chuck, untill I had a look at it myself. The pulley and the fan clutch is one whole, and is pressed onto the water pump. You can see on teh new pump there is just a shaft. Thats how it is.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dang... i's suggest a trip to the wreckers then... or get a workshop to push the pulley/clutch off the old pump.

i'd say you could fit a pulley in a small toolbox - clutch centre might be a bit more difficult.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes , the bolts you and Peewee also suggested are not bolts at all .. but they look similar to pop rivits i cant understand it....

i might just put the pump and shit back on the engine with the new thermostat and hope that it was only a dodgy thermostat

but hrmm ... then if it is the pump then it'll all be a fucking waste of time .......

someone give me some more advice ,....
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John, there is a bearing place in osborne park. If you go to coventrys and show them your delema and ask them where this bearing place is, you can go there and get it pressed off and on. PRESTO !
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomorrow is saturday matty :(:(Sad
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fit the new pump. then go to the wreckers and for about $20 you will buy another pully and fan setup off a 18rc engine that has 4 bolts. then you are all sorted.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can someone do a photochop of the pics above and ad some RED arrows to which these "4 bolts" should be ?
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THERE IS NO FLANGE FACE AND 4 BOLTS !!!!! Its a weird pressed on type thing, it gives many headaches. i say press on a 4ac pulley flange that has 4 bolts, or weld, and then bolt up the 4ac pulley+fan or just pulley and change to tastic-termo-tan
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm, my corona has a different setup

is the listing for the 74 and 79 model different

maybe u actually did get the correct pump and u need to get it done professionally

mine is a bolt on bolt off setup
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah when you go into Repco they have four different listings for a water pump for the 18r-c. I'd be tempted to get another one from the wreckers and put that one on.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Fri, 28 October 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be the right pump but you also need a new pulley/viscous coupling to on it.

Go to repco, find the pump with the simplest setup (ie: fan bolted directly to the pump), purchase, wreckers for fan etc.

Or buy an elecctric fan and jujst use the one you have.
Scootaphill
Regular

November 2004
Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Sat, 29 October 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it appears what you have there is a water pump WITHOUT tempered cooling fan... fluid coupling only

therefor there are NO four (4) bolts. they are rivets.

the tempered cooling fan has bi-metal as well as the fluid coupling and the four (4) bolts.

you will need to use a press or purchase a different waterpump that has the four bolts and go to the wreckers and buy the fan assembly!

i have assembly pictures of both... if you want email or pm me and i can fwd them to your email account

cheers

phill

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18R or 18R-C Waterpump needing help *MANY PICS TO DISCRIBE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT) Sat, 29 October 2005 07:46 Go to previous message
You need to press the viscous coupling and the pulley off the old pump and press them on to the new pump.

You could buy the whole assembly new (for significantly more).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 for Racing?
Next Topic:Camry Accessories in Brisbane Area
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:43:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072250366210938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.