Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 09:23 Go to next message
Hi everyone,
I have a problem. i killed the 1ggte in my Z20 and am partially the way through my motor swap to the 1jz. Now as to my problem, the motor is in bolted up and all seeming fine. When you wind it over by hand the compression sounds even and it holds oil pressure so that is a good sign.
the dilemna is with the wiring.

the motor i have is from a JZZ30 soarer and i was told that the best setup for the gz20 was the JZA70 setup as the crossmembers change over for the motor swap and voila wiring is easier when you are trying to hybridise the jz into the gz shell. Now i have had the car at an auto sparky workshop here on the sunshine coast for 2 and a half weeks and they managed to get 6 wires connected by snipping my old loom from my 1g and putting those connectors onto the jza70 loom after tracing wires one by one. i thought that the jza70 was the easiest loom to splice into the GZ20? ? is that so? shouldn't it be a little easier then tracing every wire through? am i being royally shafted here or what?

the problem seems to be the fuel injection relays and all that sort of crap. the auto sparkies i first had the car at did have a bastard of a job with me only being able to supply them with wiring diagrams for the jza70 loom and not the car. and after them not even looking at it for a week and a half i took the car back off them and took it back to my mechanics to rest and they tried to have a go at the wiring but it seems to be totally out of their league as well.
it is now at another auto sparky workshop here on the sunshine coast and i asked him to have a look at what had been done ( or not done as the case may be) and supplied him with the jza70 loom diagram and the GZ20 wiring diagrams (thanks to a mate Dale) and he is telling me that it is going to be a couple of weeks and about $1500!
now few questions:
am i being shafted here?
am i going about this the right way? is there another loom that would suit the car more? how else can it be done?

would a soarer loom and ecu be a better option? then would that only leave the dash to be wired? the loom plugged up to the motor fine and of course i had the correct ecu it is just the wiring into the car and/or dash that seems to be killing these guys.

what should i do? the conversion has been in the works for 2.5 months now. the car has been off the road for 7 months. i just want my car back and i am sick of catching lifts and borrowing mates cars. any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated especially from people who have done or had this conversion done before.
thanks in advance
matt
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either loom is as easy as each other.
If they haven't wired up a Toyota before, its a challenge.

Having the old motors wiring diagram helps, but its not necessary.
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate so stick with it then hey and just pay up?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either that or take the car off them and get someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Its a 2-3 day job tops.

It can probably done in 4-6hrs by someone who knows it well.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey CrUZsida, in my vast wisdom of wiring my car, do you reckon i could do his? as we know each other and i think its crazy talk to pay that much.
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ndgcpr i would be totally in your debt if you could do this for me. i would of course make it worth your while Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink lol
let me know mate. not going to ask u to do something you don't want to or can't do mate.
cheers
matt

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 13:53]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends how you've wired yours up Gav.

If you've wired up the EFI fuse, EFI MAIN Relay etc etc correctly as per the diagrams, then there is no reason why you couldn't do his.

If you have just wired things into random places, and lo and behold its worked, then maybe not.

On the flip side, even if it takes you a week to do properly, I'm sure Matt will provide you with lost of beer to make sure the job is done properly.

Another thing to point out is that the JZA70 loom is quite different to the JZZ30 loom.
If you are using the JZZ30 loom I suggest a serious read of this thread
http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=247
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend IMHO you are definitely going about it the wrongest possible way.get your car out of there asap.
Never leave a car [or anything] anywhere for any service without a firm quote.
1.you will have an agreed cost
2.you will know when it will be finished
3.you and the service provider will both know what the expected outcome of the job is.[an agreed result]If the agreed result is not forthcoming then neither is the agreed payment forthcoming.
Basically,a shop that has no idea will not enter into this type of agreement,which tells you what? [they have no idea]

There are 2 people around who know what they are doing and make a living out of it that I know of-Jim of sideshow performance wiring and Grant of sixworks.search this site for more details of these guys.I think its worth about $700 last time I got a car done which included ABS and Cruise on a manual 1J into 92 Cressida.Jim did that one. Best of luck.
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Wed, 26 October 2005 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well then i need some contact details for these people.. PLEASE? whereabouts are these businesses located? which is the better one to go to?
anyone?
cheers
matt
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt.you have the names,sixworks and sideshow.
Click on the members tab,[top right of the page next to search]enter the members name in the login box and click on the search result for their respective email address etc.Sideshow is in Sydney and travels by arrangement [he did my car in brisbane] and Grant is in newcastle[sixworks] and doesnt travel to my knowledge.
In your predicament I would suggest phoning all nearby shops that tune turbo cars and ask who they know that is familiar with wiring 1J conversions.Sorry i cant help further.
Try asking mk3supra [mick] if he knows anyone.Hes on the sunshine coast.0408214762.Best of luck.Pete. Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could offer a hand as well if you need (did my 1JZ -> MA61 OK)...

Is it manual or auto btw...(I haven't had to deal with auto wiring in my history.)

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 02:20]

petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Good on you Wilbo! Smile
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the offer wilbo i need all the help i can get.. the car has the W58 manual in it.
if you are on msn mate you can add me on nitnat79@msn.com
any other offers? Very Happy
cheers
matt
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 00:11

It depends how you've wired yours up Gav.

If you've wired up the EFI fuse, EFI MAIN Relay etc etc correctly as per the diagrams, then there is no reason why you couldn't do his.

If you have just wired things into random places, and lo and behold its worked, then maybe not.

I ADDED a main relay and rewired everything properly, looking over the diags it doesn't seem too different. shouldn't be to hard. But yeah with a week i reckon i could get it done.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 10:22]

Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i am going to have to change your name to my hero NDGCPR
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for 1500 bucks i would fly up there and do it in a day

its not too hard the hard part iod gettin everything on the dash to work corrctly

u might need speedo adjsuters adn tacho boosters

most of the jobs ive seen the people know the wiring for the engine but dont know the wiring for the car

and they end up with shit everywhere

and another thing is even the 1j chaser wiull not be a complete plug and play into a cressida

same with a jza 1j into a ma70 the importers say its a 5 minute job but thats all bullshit

no matter what car it is if it has a diff engine from factory not many cars are just plug and play

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 12:17]

Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could seriously get it done in a day?
well maybe it may just come to that mate. NDGCPR is having a look at it this weekend then we'll decide on where the car goes from there.... keep your eyes on this thread mate.
cheers
matt
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Thu, 27 October 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piss easy only prob is im in the usa till december from this monday
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Fri, 28 October 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i take it saturday and sunday are out? Razz
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Fri, 28 October 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can come up on sunday but ill have to charge 3000 bucks heheheh
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Fri, 28 October 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol hahahaahhahaha umm no thanks mate
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Fri, 28 October 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunday double time heheh

soarercentral
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Fri, 28 October 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crikey i was only up in the Gold Coast for Indy last week....

Umm i have full JZZ30 diagrams if someone wants a copy...

I could steer you through it but it's hard without seeing the car...
Matt M
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZ in GZ20 soarer i need wiring help/advice Fri, 28 October 2005 20:39 Go to previous message
well thanks mate, i allready have the jzz30 diagrams i believe, and the motor is not the problem as it is wiring the motor into the car that seems to be causing the dramas, and it has a JZA70 loom not the JZZ30. thanks for the offer tho much appreciated!
cheers
matt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry Accessories in Brisbane Area
Next Topic:paint stripper that can be used on rubber?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:45:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074031352996826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.