AuthorTopic
maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Q's on 5 stud conversion Tue, 25 October 2005 23:54 Go to next message
hi guys
im thinking about a 5 stud conversion for my ra40 celica,
1)would any one have any ideas on where to start or what are possible avenues
2)which cars have the same suspension arm mounts as the ra40 (the bit that bolts onto the cross member)
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Wed, 26 October 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maiku wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 07:54

1)would any one have any ideas on where to start or what are possible avenues

Here
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=search
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Wed, 26 October 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS65 front hubs and RN40 hilux diff.. too easy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Wed, 26 October 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're going to all the effort of buying (what's priced as gold-plated) hubs, you may as well improve the brakes and you'll need different front stuts (e.g. XT130 or RT142)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Wed, 26 October 2005 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone tryed MX83 struts in an RA40?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Thu, 27 October 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That camber will be all kinds of wrong in an RA40. You could make it work though.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Thu, 27 October 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything else share the bolt on ease of the pissan 4 pots?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Thu, 27 October 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT142 struts
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Thu, 27 October 2005 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and no camber issues? BA rotor strait on and done?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Thu, 27 October 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about those RA65 jobbies? Didn't they make 50 kinds of goodness (or was that just in the MA61)?
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm interesting.
I was going to go the RX7 calliper route with a custom bracket but do i read this correct?
rt142 strut, ms65 hub, BA rotor, probably a little ring thing from GT to space the rotor and wheel correctly, and r33 4 piston caliper will make an upgrade without a custom bracket?
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 07:46

What about those RA65 jobbies? Didn't they make 50 kinds of goodness (or was that just in the MA61)?

wrong camber with an RA40???

although if you tried the AE86 rack and pinion steering that Turbora28 has done which apparently increases the track slighlty, this might negate the camber (possibly more so with adjustable camber tops).
Hmmmmm
must go visit wreckers and take a tape measure with me.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i know someone who just got these calipers so ill have to have a lookies!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 06:31

and no camber issues? BA rotor strait on and done?

i'll have to find my pics that compare stub axles of MA61 and RT142 - but visually it looked slightly better (e.g. more -Ve camber).

On an RA40 i think it might end up the same as stock (whereas the MA61 would give you positive camber if fitted to RA40)

note: this is only from eyeballing it - have been too busy to bother photoshopping pics of struts.

as for Rotor fitting - damn good question - i know that an old comondoor (VL i think - they all look like same shitmobiles to me) rotor+hub thing fitted very snug, tho you'd defiantely have to mount you caliper from the back of the caliper mounts.

what kind of rotor were you expecting to use (i dont have any MS65 hubs Sad )
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the BA rotor is IDEAL cost and availability wise!

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 09:35]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry - i meant what hub would you use?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have MS65 ones here, i payed i think $28 for Smile

MX83 ones an option???

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 10:14]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 20:12

i have MS65 ones here, i payed i think $28 for Smile

MX83 ones an option???

i am having heaps of fun ATM picking the MS65 hubs out of 20 various model crown hubs (removing outer bearing one by one Sad )

i might be able to park my RA40 next to a MX83 and compare if anyone really wants comparisons. slim chance it will be ~perfectly~ suited to the job without some sort of modding.

it would be good however to find a strut with a thicker stub axle than the RA40/MX62/MA61 etc because there are a shitload of hubs that use the "bigger" bearings. (like MS85/falcodore etc.)

come to think of it; allan, you have mkI supra bits?? what bearings do they run? bigger or smaller than RA40/MA61 etc.?

this is what cruzida posted a while back....i just noticed he didnt include the MA45....makes me wonder Confused

CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 11:42

All these cars use the same front bearings

celica ra40, ra60, sa63, ra65
cressida mx32, mx36, mx62, mx73
crown ms65
corona rt81, rt104, xt130, rt133, st141, rt142
avante st141, rt142
spacia yr22
lite ace km20, cm20, cm35, ym21, ym30, ym35
supra ma61
tarago yr20, yr21, yr22 2wd, cr21

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same as ra40, maybe different as per ra60 vs ma61 due to wider track.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was the MA45/6/7 ever released here?

The MZ10/11/12 is not on that list either, but thats not a locally delivered car, so thats why.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota australia imported one MA46 for the motorshow the others are grey/private imports
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Fri, 28 October 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX83 doesn't use single-row tapered bearings - stub axle has no tapered sections, bearing bits are all in the hub and it uses two 'rows' of uncaptive ball-bearings that roll directly on the stub axle.

If it weren't for the steering arm issue and poor camber, they'd make a good bolt-in replacement strut.

note: the MZ10/11 etc are 4-stud, they also use the same wheel bearings as ra40 et al.

as for MS65 hubs, so far the best price i've seen is $100 (offered by PM) - before i pay that much for one set, Wilbo & I are checking if other cars of the same era (circa 1972) use the same wheel bearing sets.

cheers,
Charles.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Sat, 29 October 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably find a whole ms65 is cheaper Razz
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Sat, 29 October 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive now got two sets of ms65 hubs Cool

there is some thing about the z31t hubs been a straight sawp too i think
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Sat, 29 October 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 09:55

MX83 doesn't use single-row tapered bearings - stub axle has no tapered sections, bearing bits are all in the hub and it uses two 'rows' of uncaptive ball-bearings that roll directly on the stub axle.

If it weren't for the steering arm issue and poor camber, they'd make a good bolt-in replacement strut.

RA60 power steering arms might work??, they are super duper short too.

what type of camber does it give? how much + ?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Sat, 29 October 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check Norbie's site and have a quiet chuckle at the inital gay appearance of his car after he put in the MX83 struts. There was about 11ty billion degrees of positive camber. Like he said, all kinds of wrong.

Also you guys should be checking old Dattos, like 260C and similar. Hilux 2WD and Hiace also good to check too.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 October 2005 06:50]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Sat, 29 October 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 16:47

Check Norbie's site and have a quiet chuckle at the inital gay appearance of his car after he put in the MX83 struts. There was about 11ty billion degrees of positive camber. Like he said, all kinds of wrong.v

yep, norbie's setup does give you access to new adn interesting suspension hardware, but the cost of fixing the camber and steering arm issues is (for my budget) excessive
Quote:

Also you guys should be checking old Dattos, like 260C and similar. Hilux 2WD and Hiace also good to check too.

yep.. have been doing that... results so far has been less than satisfactory.

data gathered to date: <http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/bearing_dat a1.rtf>

future searching will focus on cars released around the time of the MS65.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Sun, 30 October 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Check Norbie's site and have a quiet chuckle at the inital gay appearance of his car after he put in the MX83 struts. There was about 11ty billion degrees of positive camber. Like he said, all kinds of wrong.

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/BrakeUpgrade/Finished3.jpg

As wrong as the above is, you'd actually have more positive camber on an RA40. Fixable with bending etc, but as above, not cheap.
maiku
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Wed, 09 November 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so that takes care of the front end, now wot bout the rear,
iv been investigating the hilux conversion coz i want 5 114.3 stud pattern but it involves a lot of screwing around converting to disc brakes, any sugestons that i can research
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Wed, 09 November 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yep, as thechuckster said; been exploring that, with not a whole amount of love yet Smile 260z's share the same bearings, but not 5 stud. Apparently 260c = no go either.

A think to mention about norbies is his wheel offset pics. He has quite a bit of wheel / strut room to play with this his 17x8's +25's...I was going to look into the possibility of using rims with a higher offset (+35's; same rim dimensions) and a slightly longer lower control arm to try and get an acceptable arrangement...Norbie, car to comment on the possibility?! Smile

Obviously the idea is to use the longer LCA to get camber back to normal, and the higher wheel offset to get the wheel back inside the guard. Not sure if 10-20mm will be enough however, which is what I will look into.

Cheers
Wilbo

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q's on 5 stud conversion Thu, 10 November 2005 02:07 Go to previous message
1. My tyres only just clear the outer edge of the guards, and that's only because of the camber I dialled in, so you've got no wiggle room there.

2. There isn't much tyre->strut clearance with 235 tyres... you might be OK with 10mm but I don't think you could go much further.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz exhaust t piece
Next Topic:7mgte ecu on a 5mge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:24:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006803035736084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.