Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Fri, 28 October 2005 14:00 Go to next message
Hello..all,

Finally caved in to get the wifey a car, she's had a licence for a good 13-14 years and hasn't been driving for the last oohh 10 years. I wouldn't let her drive the cressy (1G-GTE)..so i thought..get her something rear wheel drive with a strong body..not too much plasticy stuff on it.So a KP61 one-owner was for sale got it !. Now there's the task of getting it in a better running condition then it is. I,e ball joints, new shocks..and a slow rebuild eventually all the way.

1st stop. I'd like to get it converted to a power steering.What would be a good option/donor car?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Fri, 28 October 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think there's any power steering rack that will fit into a Starlet, as they're quite narrow.
Not a lot springs to mind sorry ...
WYSIWYG
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Fri, 28 October 2005 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can probably convert to a corolla suspension which has longer steering arms giving you an upgraded feel Smile
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Sat, 29 October 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw11 will be closer fit than a corolla but still not ideally the same
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Sat, 29 October 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dispatcher wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 00:00

Hello..all,

Finally caved in to get the wifey a car, she's had a licence for a good 13-14 years and hasn't been driving for the last oohh 10 years. I wouldn't let her drive the cressy (1G-GTE)..so i thought..get her something rear wheel drive with a strong body..not too much plasticy stuff on it.So a KP61 one-owner was for sale got it !. Now there's the task of getting it in a better running condition then it is. I,e ball joints, new shocks..and a slow rebuild eventually all the way.

1st stop. I'd like to get it converted to a power steering.What would be a good option/donor car?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

you are so so lucky
i want a kp...starlet
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Sat, 29 October 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys the KP rack is narrower than any Corolla rack. I'd have to measure them both to be sure, but they certainly look more narrow.
Also, the AW11 rack is the same as the AE-86 rack.
I was going to write in my first post you could fit the longer AE-86 steering arms but they would need a small adaptor to make them fit and they're not easy to make unless you're good with a lathe - So I didn't mention it. Wink
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Sat, 29 October 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEXY 16 wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 17:51

dispatcher wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 00:00

Hello..all,

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

you are so so lucky
i want a kp...starlet

i second that Very Happy
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Sat, 29 October 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 02:23

I was going to write in my first post you could fit the longer AE-86 steering arms but they would need a small adaptor to make them fit and they're not easy to make unless you're good with a lathe - So I didn't mention it. Wink

T3 sell them already done at a price that makes making your own not worth switching on the lathe.

Callum
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: Got the wifey a Startlet KP61 84 model Sun, 30 October 2005 06:20 Go to previous message
Thanks..all for the input..
and yes the wifey is happy...AE86 there's something to consider..the lathe machine shops here work wonders sometimes..i wonder..hmm..i should look into that option..

Cheers Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:r154 gearbox issues.
Next Topic:KE70 Rim and Tyre Size
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:59:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005748987197876 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.