Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sat, 29 October 2005 09:42 Go to next message
Hi

Im trying to get the front struts out. Ive unbolted the 3 at the top and 2 at the bottom and im trying to take it out with a crowbar by pulling it. Not working Mad . Are there any tips or tricks to remove the strut?

Thank you

[Updated on: Sat, 29 October 2005 10:30]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Prying out AE86 Struts? Sat, 29 October 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoudn't they just fall out? by their own weight?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Prying out AE86 Struts? Sat, 29 October 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sway bar or castor control rod still attached to lower swing-arm?
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Pryed out struts. trying to change shocks and springs Sat, 29 October 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks...

done. using the control arm as support..
Im actually trying to change the shocks and springs
and now i cant take out that top bolt...

not that its too hard but i cant get a grip becuase its spinning... something like that...

more help

lol
deltathing
Regular

June 2004
Re: AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sat, 29 October 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you using spring compressors?
if not, and you get that bolt off, then you will'nt have a pretty head left.

maybe take them up to your local tyre joint, and ask them to take them apart.
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sat, 29 October 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
right the spring compressor....

now ive gotta put the strut back drive down to my uncles house and borrow his spring compressor... *sigh I want to keep my face

Thanks for that mate... should have started with the right equipment

Smile
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sat, 29 October 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look, the shock will spin in the strut as you have found

either use a rattle gun on the top nut or

hold your shock insert with some vice grips and then turn the top nut, be careful not to damage shock.

id recommend the tyre shop myself..
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sat, 29 October 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a Huge F'off bar, put it under the control arm and on the other end push down, it should be sitting on the sway bar, you can push down as hard as you like. You will just see the control arm go down so easy. Even with a stock spring in there, should be able to get it out with not to much difficulty. Sine I used the bar, I can change springs/shocks myself Smile

I think thats how they tell you to do it in the AE86 Manual aswell.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sat, 29 October 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol yeah I almost found out the non-spring compressor thing the hard way. got the top nut off a few threads and then realized how much the spring was pushing against it... The amount of pressure released would be like a 12 gauge shotgun, with a big thick bit of steel as the ammunition (top hat)...

Note to self and others: search toymods before doing any home job modifications Smile

But yeah you'll find theres a rubber dust cover at the top of the shock, wrap some vice grips around that and clamp it, the rubber will help lessen the risk of damaging your shock and will also grip the bar alot better than metal vs metal.

Kev.
sagluren
Regular

May 2005

Re: AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs Sun, 30 October 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please use spring compressors, as the apprentice that i am i learnt very quickly that they are very usefull. That was after being thrown across the workshop and a very large bruse on my shoulder.
And the springs that i didnt compress were lowered anyway so the pressure was minimal.

Sam.
Hachi2Muchi
Regular

August 2005
Re: Suspension in the AE86 Sun, 30 October 2005 17:20 Go to previous message
Sorry havn't posted but i used a clamp and i had the end of the shock in my eye...

jokes...

I changed the strut instead with some height adjustable ones so i didn't need a spring compressor anyway. Now my 86 has trd shocks all round with rear adjustables, cusco 12kg front with cusco pillow ball camber tops and trd 6kg blues in the rear... OVERKILL! but suprisingly stilll rides very well (and i live in a bumpy suburb) still might downgrade to 8kg TRD fronts in the future, see how these go.

Was going to change the ae86 rear diff into JDM locked diff but i ran into another problem fitting the ae92 brakes. the backing plate(i think thats what the thin bit of metel around the disc is...) is in the way. as soon as i get the disc off and can cut and bits in the way

Thanks for the help with my suspension! Very Happy

EOI: standard struts with fairly new shocks and standard springs, and matching rear bits.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil Pumps, 2T-G cf. 3T-GTE spot the difference
Next Topic:who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 12:22:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051431655883789 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.