Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Oil pressure during cranking?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 05:39 Go to next message
Just wondering how much oil pressure(if any) is made while and engine is only being turned over by the starter?
I fitted a remote oil filter kit to my 3S today and I started cranking it over with no filter on, I was expecting oil to rush out the filter adapter but I got nothing Confused
The filter adapter is mounted up pretty level with the head.

Anyone have any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless the sustem is already primed (e.g. recently run, all galleries and filter full of oil), you'll get very little pressure at all during cranking.

changing filter/ & oil on the 18RT resulted in anywhere from 5 to 15secs of low-oil light.

cheers,
Charles.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It took me 30-100secs of cranking to get oil to come out my turbo oil feeds when I was priming my system...took a fair while longer than I expected.

Cheers
Wilbo
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that seems wierd, when i did the 20v conversion i cranked the engine with no spark plugs until the oil pres. came up before starting it for the 1st time. It only took 3-4 seconds until the oil light went off.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kewp wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 19:11

that seems wierd, when i did the 20v conversion i cranked the engine with no spark plugs until the oil pres. came up before starting it for the 1st time. It only took 3-4 seconds until the oil light went off.

I suspect you didn't have the sump, oil filter assembly, etc off during the process of installing your engine.

And the light went off long before oil started coming out the turbo oil feeds...

Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prime the whole system Shane, and let us know then how long it takes for oil to flow, or read pressure on the guage?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Sun, 30 October 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no pressure gauge connected at this stage which is the exact reason I was wanting to see oil flow Smile
But as pointed out, my engine is/was totally dry with a brand new oil pump.
I'll try priming the system via the oil filter adapter and see what happens.
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Wed, 02 November 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=wilbo666 wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 19:24
I suspect you didn't have the sump, oil filter assembly, etc off during the process of installing your engine.[/quote]

I didn't have the sump off, but the oil filter was changed.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Wed, 02 November 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane: can you get to and turn the drive shaft of the pump without cranking the motor (displays total ignorance of 3S motors here)?

reason i ask is that with a
-super-long screw-driver bit (e.g. about 12" long) on a hi-torque slow-speed drill
-dizzi removed
you can crank the 18R oil pump without turning the engine. bottom of the dizzi runs the pump, so with dizzi out you can turn pump. I did this before 1st run of the 18RT so only thing i had to worry about was the (very out of postition) ignition timing.

I know some engines wrap the oil pump around or just next to the front of the crank - making this impossible - but if you can run the pump with a drill, you're not going to risk things like dry main bearings, dry rings on new bores etc.

cheers,
Charles
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Oil pressure during cranking? Wed, 02 November 2005 21:18 Go to previous message
Its all good now. I have had the engine cranking and running long enough to get the oil circulating Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2JZ limp mode?
Next Topic:MA/RA/TA6* shock angles for F code IRS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:13:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051400661468506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.