Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » ball bearing turbos, pros and cons?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Fri, 28 October 2005 03:23 Go to next message
hi guys.

im looking into possible turbos to swap onto my 3sgte (gen1), and of all the others that rebuild turbos and hi-flow them etc for there mr2's and gt4's, im yet to hear of anyone to use a ball bearing turbo?

it was my undestanding that ball bearing turbos spool up much easier? whats the negative to them then?
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Fri, 28 October 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they cost more.

nice signature
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Fri, 28 October 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come on dude you know i ran a BB GT2540 on my white GrpA, now in the hands of Zasa.

Spool up difference is bugger all, the big gain is the newer generation compressor wheels which have greater efficiency and generally wider peak efficiency as well. You can also spin a BB turbo much harder than a plain bearing.

For general street duties it is far more important to get the sizing right than whether it's BB or not.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Sun, 30 October 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've heard the BB turbos can't be rebuilt, or it's prohibitively expensive... that has to be a major downside.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Sun, 30 October 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a rebuilt bb gt2535

edit: the whole turbo never been used since being rebuilt cost me $600 in japan so it cant be that $$$ to rebuild them

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2005 08:42]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Sun, 30 October 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some can, some can't or more to the point it's not worth the effort. Wheels shafts etc are no issue but the cartrige is a bit trickier apparently...not that i've ever tried a strip down/reassembly.

Whatever, the knock off BBs are so cheap these days just buy a new one rather than rebuild...just like import engines really
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Mon, 31 October 2005 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As im sure its been said but ball bearing turbos spool quicker, the shaft speeds that can be reached are a lot higher than of a plain bearing hence with the same size wheels and housings you can acheive a higher reliable amount of boost, not to mention that the bearings being a no shit 50 times stronger will just allow that turbo to last way longer and christ the price of the turbos are getting so cheap from garrett these days why the hell would you want to go for an inferior product.
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Mon, 31 October 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They sound cool when you turn the car off Wink
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Mon, 31 October 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well yeah thats what i was thinking too, for a little more than the cost of a rebuild, you could have a completely new turbo. ok well maybe double the price, but still its gona be new turbo.
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: ball bearing turbos, pros and cons? Wed, 09 November 2005 11:50 Go to previous message
one of the major advantages of a BB turbo is that they are water and oil cooled keeping turbo and intake temps down and increasing the power. I also agree with every one else who has said that they spool up faster. I had my stock FJ20 turbo's bearing housing replaced with one from a GTR with a silicon nitrate BB pack and it is heaps more responsive.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Highway Robbery - Bruce Josephs Aug 2005
Next Topic:Speeding. What's your excuse? "i'm RICK JAMES BITCH!!!"
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:34:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052340030670166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.